Merino wool glove liner issues

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Before my last hunt this year I picked up a pair of Sitka merino wool gloves. I have historically used thin neoprene gloves, but I decided to give these a shot. At first they seemed perfect; thin, lightweight, warm, good dexterity, good grip, and did ok in the rain. Unfortunately that was short lived, in that single hunt the rubber grip wore off, they developed two holes in the fabric and a seam pulled out making a third hole. At the end of the hunt my gun was slippery in my hand due to losing the grip and my hands were getting cold from the holes.

They really seem like exactly what I want other than the fact they were basically disposable. Are the other gloves put out by other manufactures (first lite, Kuiu, etc.) this bad too?

This is really what I want, but I just can’t deal with how fragile the wool and construction is.

JNDEER

WKR
I have the russell wool gloves. No ripping and I would think they would be on par with sitka in comfort. I like them a lot and wear them all the time.
I have the kuiu 230. they are nice too, but do not have the extra length going over my wrist that the russell does. I like this when archery hunting for my release, but other then that the 230 are nice as well.

Kotaman

WKR
I had the same problem with my First Lite Merino Gloves, but my KUIU Merino gloves are still like new after several hunts, including a couple of extreme hunts. The KUIU gloves are a bit heavier material than the Sitka or First Lite. My KUIU Merino gloves are my new favorites...

Roy68

WKR
I haven't used the others, but I have 3 pairs of the Kuiu merino gloves and they are with me constantly now. They have held up well, and will be in the field for another 7 days starting Sunday.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input guys.

How is the grip on these other gloves?

The Sikas were really great until the silicon(?) wore off then they were very slippery and difficult to hold onto things like a gun.

How is the thickness/dexterity on the others? I hate wearing gloves while hunting so the more like second skin they are the better.

I have a set of base layer gloves from Outdoor Research that are working really well for me now. I think I picked them up for about $25.

Fletch

FNG
+1 for the Outdoor Research liners. The ones that I have are not merino wool though. I have a couple different thicknesses depending on the weather. The rubber on mine have also rubbed off but the rest of the construction seems to be pretty good. I use them throughout the winter for general use without an outer glove to shovel snow, dealing with broken down snow machines, skiing, etc. and they have held up. The stock material on your gun will also effect how slippery your gun feels. Even without the rubber on my gloves, my Browning Xbolt that has a stock with a slight rubber texture to it feels pretty secure in my hands while my Remington 700 with stock with a plastic feel is a little more slippery in my hands, but to be quite honest it really has never really bothered or effected me.

Lawnboi

WKR
Merino wool is delicate.

Sitka core or traverse gloves are awesome thin gloves

And I yet to find a pair the silicon didn't fall off of. Good thing silicon is cheap and you can re apply the dots if you desire

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly.

I wear mine inside another pair of gloves and rarely ever all alone (though I have, just sparingly).

So you think all other brands are going to have the same problem?

The reason I ask is there are some guys up above that claim they used theirs constantly without issue.

I am not sure, I haven't worn the others. What I do know is that I treat them as a liner and they really help with warmth, if they get "clamy" due to sweat I take off the outer glove and they dry out quick. As stated above, basically all merino is very delicate and I know if I would use them as an outer 100% of the time there would be an increase of ruining them (any merino liner).