Merino....how's it work for you?

Wrench

WKR
I really like the merino in terms of scent control, but the "warm when wet" line has me scratching my head. I don't even think this stuff is warm when it's dry.

I spent a good part of my day in n Idaho after a hard rain, temp was about 40* I had on a black ovis hodded merino, first lite merino and a warm vest. I had merino underwear, longjohns and obsidian pants with first lite gaiters.

If I hadn't started a fire to warm up it was going to get violent with the shivvering.

I updated to synthetic on the following days and lived happily ever after.

Am I the only one who has found merino to lack every bit of this mythical "warmth "?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never used merino for warmth, never considered it very warm.........even the 400g weight stuff. But I only use it as a base layer. My warmth comes from my insulation layers.......or from inside while on the move. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone praising how warm merino is.

I can’t say my base layers are warm for static purposes, but that’s why I have warmer outer layers. I use it for moisture control on the move.

tttoadman

WKR
I've never used merino for warmth, never considered it very warm.........even the 400g weight stuff. But I only use it as a base layer. My warmth comes from my insulation layers.......or from inside while on the move. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone praising how warm merino is.
This...
The synthetics will stink up the forest in a day.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's more so that merino will feel warm against your skin when it's wet. For instance if you wore a regular T shirt to pack in and got sweaty, and then took your pack off with a cold breeze at your back; you would likely feel like the shirt was freezing cold. In my experience merino won't feel cold against your skin in those conditions.

As for being soaking wet for an extended period of time, merino doesn't dry as fast as synthetics so your core temp was probably dropping from having 40 degree rain water against your skin for however long.

I have some of each but own and wear more synthetic. There are some that hold the view that Merino doesn’t transmit moisture as well as synthetic and tends to stay a bit “damp” feeling. therefore, if you are a sweat-hog or in a humid environment, then synthetic may be better.

I sweat quite a bit and haven’t found a merino that dries as fast as a good synthetic. Scent is a relative thing. I tend to think my Sitka core lightweight stuff doesn’t smell too bad after a day or two. I can’t say I own any merino that I personally think manages odor better. However, I can’t say I have done the pepsi challenge and compared results by wearing one for a couple of days and then swapping to the other under the same conditions.

The good news is, I think various manufacturers are making synthetic wt better order control. Likewise, they are making wool and wool blends that seem to be more durable and wick better so it feels like you have great options in either direction.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I find merino to be warmer than cotton when it's soaked, especially if it's breezy or windy. I can't really say it's any warmer or colder compared to synthetics; neither have really stood out against each other, just against cotton. Like others, the main benefit I find with merino is that it doesn't hold in odors like other fabrics. If I were staying stationary for a long time, like in a tree stand or a blind, and I didn't expect to be hiking a ton I'd use my synthetic UA base layers. When I first got into merino years ago I learned eventually it wasn't as magical as I thought it would be. Like everything else it has its pros and cons.

Were you wearing a t-shirt, or the Black Ovis layer next to your skin? I was always cold when I continued to wear a cotton t-shirt under my merino layers. I’d actually end up sweating first, and the cotton couldn’t wick the moisture away, so I’d end up freezing. Not saying that you’re doing this, but a lot of people do. I’ve eliminated cotton 100% from the equation now and I stay warm with both synthetic and merino wool. Good luck!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve always enjoyed merino more for a baselayer due to funk. But I tried a 4 day and 5 day long set of trips with just a Kuiu peloton 118 ls baselayer and I have to say i was impressed from a comfort, dryness and smell perspective. It was noticeably smellier when wet, but overall was the first synthetic I could push that far.

So while merino is great - synthetics have really improved to the point the gap is narrowed. At least for me.

Color me unimpressed with Merino as well. Drank the Kool Aid when it was the hottest thing in the market for the big 3 several years back. Never did find if feeling "warm" when dry. Once it's soaked from sweat I was even less impressed. I try NOT to use it anymore. My archery hunting is tree stand, not spot and stalk. For rifle hunting....no more Merino.

Ditto

Merino base layer, fleece mid layer, synthetic puffy, rain jacket.

When merino get's soaked and you are feeling cool/cold, throw on a synthetic puffy on over the top while glassing and the merino will dry quickly.

I do not wear merino to keep me warm, I wear it because it will not stink, it does keep me from getting chilled while hiking and will not warm me up to the point of overheating. I wear a fleece and ultimately my puffy to stay warm.

hikenhunt

WKR
I use merino mostly as a baselayer as others have commented and use other materials for insulating layers. Straightup merino doesn't cut the wind very well in my experience, which is one of the reasons I don't use it for insulating. Downs and sythentics offer lighter weight-to-warmth ratio as well.

VernAK

WKR
I start wearing my merino base layers 9/1 and stop about 4/1......synthetics don't compare for me.

If your merino base isn't helping t keep you warm, I'll bet it isn't Ulfrotte.

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
Were you wearing a t-shirt, or the Black Ovis layer next to your skin? I was always cold when I continued to wear a cotton t-shirt under my merino layers. I’d actually end up sweating first, and the cotton couldn’t wick the moisture away, so I’d end up freezing. Not saying that you’re doing this, but a lot of people do. I’ve eliminated cotton 100% from the equation now and I stay warm with both synthetic and merino wool. Good luck!

No cotton for me. I'm 44 and have been hunting all my life. I have used lots of wool and synthetics, but thought I'd try the kool-aid and give the merino a run. It's OK when I wear good synthetic layers.....but running without it isn't any less warm.

I am impressed with the stink eating properties.

N2TRKYS

WKR
The only thing a merino wool base layer does for me is make me hot when I start moving. Totally useless for me. It doesn't dry worth a crap either.

CBar

FNG
For treestand bowhunting, it's the best scent control I've found among fabrics. But I'll take good preparation and rain gear above some theory about "warm when wet" anyday. I've never been warm while wet during hunting season.

The only thing a merino wool base layer does for me is make me hot when I start moving. Totally useless for me. It doesn't dry worth a crap either.

I have Smartwool, First Lite, and Ice Breaker......once sweat soaked and wet.....I strongly disagree with it drying out under a puffy. It's wet/damp at home in front of a wood stove much longer than anything else I've used.

If not backpacking....I hike in 3-4 miles with a headlamp and get naked and changed out before sun up. All day damp with Merino sucks. I have switched to packing a fresh base layer, either fresh merino but most often a synthetic. The FL Chama hoodies are very handy, but I have warmer and more dry synthetics when it really counts.

Personally I quickly found merino to be overall comfortable in less than "living room" conditions - Yes, it DOES dry more quickly than anything else around once it has been sweat soaked, Ice Breaker T-shirts no warmer than Black Ovis wool blend BUT they are a lot more comfortable in "all day" context for me - I'd rather be "chilly" (NOT COLD) for a few minutes then comfortable again than feel like I'm under a blanket when trying to work- IF you get wet from rain you were just caught out in it, not much will help short of working up some more sweat/heat - wear your "waterproof" outer all you want, you get wet from the rain OR you get wet from sweat, which is colder ? I learned what feels "good" on the skin winter steelheading in the north coast range, wool is where it's at ….. with a good raincoat too