Merino Base Layers

RVarland

FNG
My Kuiu 125 weight has been amazingly durable. It has survived 9 elk hunts! Several more out of state deer hunts, lots of in-state hunting days (deer and turkeys).

I won't ever buy cheap merino again. Learned my lesson with the Black Ovis JUNK. Even at the low price it isn't worth it.
I’ve looked at the Black Ovis stuff on camofire, what about it was was so bad?

Acarr10

FNG
How often do you fellas wash your base layers? Sounds odd and a bit gross, but I’m new to the merino wool game. I put 17 decent days on my FL base layers this archery season and they still look pretty similar to how they arrived. And yes that means there aren’t any blood stains on them as well. Haha

My point being is I was told by an old timer that washing your clothes wears them out far faster than actually wearing them does. Curious if anyone has any insight on this with merino.

I’m in the black ovis 150 camp myself. Besides some pilling, no real rips or pulls. I’ll wear one for 4-5 days straight and while I don’t smell great, I’ve definitely smelled worse.

I have had good luck with both Kuiu and Black Ovis. My Black Ovis has lasted really well, especially for the sale price on Camofire. But I rarely wear it as an outer piece, so maybe that’s why it seems to last long for me.

I cold wash with a wool specific detergent then air dry

Anybody else tired of the fact that most all companies light merino layers are virtually a disposable item? What is your go to for the cheapest light merino top?
Not really cheap but I've been using First Lite base layers for 3 years and they are still going strong.

Bump79

WKR
I wash all my merino delicate with scent free All and dry on low. Zero problem and I wear my merino all the time.

My Kuiu 125 weight has been amazingly durable. It has survived 9 elk hunts! Several more out of state deer hunts, lots of in-state hunting days (deer and turkeys).

I won't ever buy cheap merino again. Learned my lesson with the Black Ovis JUNK. Even at the low price it isn't worth it.
I agree, too. I've been hooked on Kuiu's 120 ultra LT SS/LS merino shirts. I also wear Firstl Lite's ultralite 150 aerowool, too. There is another brand I wear occasionally (can be found on Amazon) - Woolly. Pretty good stuff and holds up.

hammerco

FNG
Regarding durability, I currently 100% merino baselayers from Smartwool, Icebreaker, Ortovox, and Civic. All about the same 120ish thickness. I'd say that by far, the Ortovox has been the most durable.

In the interest of finding some US assembled stuff, I came across a cycling brand in Cali called Ornot. They have a merino blend base (40% or so) that I have found to be very durable, compared to the 100% stuff. I also prefer the drape and overall fit. I'm finding myself drawn to some merino blends or hybrids more and more after years of being pretty ardent about it being 100%. Something like Polartech Powerwool just seems so durable and I haven't really found it to stink, despite the reduction in the percentage of merino.

As for washing, I try to follow Duckworth's suggestion of only washing when it's actually dirty (rather than just worn) and when I do, it's in a front loader on delicate and then air dried.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I have numerous sets of merino from the cheapest to the most expensive. All of it has worked about the same for me.

A few specifics. Except for their boxers the Core Element has held up well for ten years. A set of First Lite started getting small holes in it after a few years. The most impressive brand - Wool Power.

Coming back here because earlier I gave a rather negative review of Black Ovis and Core4Element merino.

Recently bought some Stone Glacier, have about 15 days on one shirt as a base layer, and it is holding up well. Think they might have good stuff like Kuiu.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I've bought two used BlackOvis 200g NWT shirts from Ebay and I enjoy wearing them around the house, around town and for training hikes. I also took one to wear while sleeping for this past elk hunt in October. I tried there newer Keele heavyweight line but the sizing was way off being skin tight all around. When I hike with them they get me pretty warm pretty fast so I'll stick with synthetic base layers for hunting. I won't pay full price for any brand though but I do like the Smartwool socks I have so maybe I'll look for a deal with that brand. I think they would do ok as part of a layered system but not exposed to tree limbs and backpack straps, etc. Most of my cloths get hung to dry, very little dryer use for me so I believe that adds more life to them. Of course, it helps living in a desert environment of southern Colorado.
Dos Perros, how do you use your merino shirts for hunting; outer layer or under something and what area fails on them?

I've bought two used BlackOvis 200g NWT shirts from Ebay and I enjoy wearing them around the house, around town and for training hikes. I also took one to wear while sleeping for this past elk hunt in October. I tried there newer Keele heavyweight line but the sizing was way off being skin tight all around. When I hike with them they get me pretty warm pretty fast so I'll stick with synthetic base layers for hunting. I won't pay full price for any brand though but I do like the Smartwool socks I have so maybe I'll look for a deal with that brand. I think they would do ok as part of a layered system but not exposed to tree limbs and backpack straps, etc. Most of my cloths get hung to dry, very little dryer use for me so I believe that adds more life to them. Of course, it helps living in a desert environment of southern Colorado.
Dos Perros, how do you use your merino shirts for hunting; outer layer or under something and what area fails on them?

Sunny Sports has good deals on SmartWool.

I use merino tops for just about everything. Generally, if the forecast is dry I wear merino. If it's going to be very wet I wear synthetic, just because merino takes longer to dry. So I do wear them as a base layer / only layer in hotter temps, which could include busting brush (like oak brush in Colorado). That's where the Kuiu has survived where the Black Ovis / Core4 has gotten torn up. Once October rolls around they tend to be base layers with something over the top, which no doubt is an easier job.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response. That oak brush is brutal on cloths along with the deadfall which seems to be terrible here in the Sangre De Cristo mountains of southern Colorado. I need to look for a lighter weight merino wool shirt though as the two I have are too heavy for much exertion at least under anything. I'll look into the Smartwoool at Sunny sports. I am curious on how the Sitka 120 merino wool has worked for people.

Mike 338

WKR
Black Ovis makes decent merino for a really good price if you get it from camofire.
An OK price but I got numerous pairs in a variety of weights and all of them developed holes after the first washing, with more holes every time they were laundered. My wife last night was laughing at them because I looked like a hipster in torn duds that you pay double for. I'm looking forward to the day I can justify throwing them out.

I was and continue to be shockingly pleased with my very inexpensive merino from Midway USA (their brand). So much so that I then bought a cheap jacket and a coat from them, which are also very nice for the money, and plan to buy more merino this year.
I wasn’t aware Midway had merino - great tip!

I

InteriorAKPopsicle

I have worn a couple of different brands - Costco carries/carried one that was 85% merino that was pretty good, the Black Ovis stuff was great for the last 3.5 years and used that on some pretty rugged trips including a 11 day sheep hunt.
I was gifted an SG Shirt last Christmas so I wore that this year and it definitely is a little more comfortable and a little thinner than the Black Ovis stuff but other than that I didn't notice a difference.
I haven't had any issues with anything except underwear and gloves - I wear out the pointer fingers and that is mostly from getting snagged in zippers (I have a 'shorter' pointer finger) and all the research I've seen says if you get more than 2-3 years out of a pair of Merino Boxers that you are doing good.

I would watch Camo Fire for the Black Ovis gear if I was you.