Meeker CO Wolves

Dems can get bent, just like repubs and same with hunters crying wolf. These complaint threads makes hunters look like pansies.
Have you spent much time hunting in Wolf infested areas?

I get what you are saying. However, I've witnessed first hand areas pre and post wolf in northern WI and in MT. It's not just being a malcontent to state a fact that things were once one way and are now another.

I hunted the Flat Tops for years. Lots of hunters, but lots of Elk, too. After living with Wolves for a couple of decades and seeing what they've done to deer herds in northern WI, I feel bad for all the good folks who have enjoyed good hunting for elk in the Flat Tops for many years.

The worst part about wolves is that they generally live in the public land back country. This is also where the average DIY hunter can have a good hunt that's affordable.

To me, a lot of these sate game departments have a lot of nerve asking for hunter licence money to stay afloat. In some cases they make a lot of decisions that aren't good for the hunters who pay their wages.

At least in Colorado, the CPW went on record opposing wolf re-introduction. It was forced on them in a public vote by people who live in the cities.

That said, chances are they will maintain tag levels even after wolves reduce the herd numbers.

gbflyer

WKR
Absolutely. A lot! Had them chase horses through portable coral fence. Watched them take down perfectly healthy cows….. and came back in the morning to shoot a couple. Recovered a friend’s son’s mule deer, or what was left of it after shooting one out of a pack of 6. Called in an alpha male to 10 feet with a cow call. .44 mag took care of him.

I outfitted along the Montana/Idaho border from 1999-2012 so I lived with them on a daily basis. When an elk population drops by 80+ percent I assure you it wasn’t just the old and sick that they killed. Go watch some videos of the Yellowstone wolves taking down healthy bulls. They do NOT discriminate. Two of them killed my neighbor’s horse. I have a skull or 2 around the house.

How about you, seen them in action.

View attachment 470993View attachment 470994

Of course they do not discriminate. They however are not going to kill 80% of the elk herd. Just not buying it brother. For every video of a pet bull elk taken down in Yellowstone, don’t you figure a few get away that aren’t on film?

Sorry I don’t have any pics for you. I live in an intense wolf study area year around. One cannot get here on a road. Helicopter darting, live snaring, gps collars, scat surveys, the works. Expensive. We have 3 packs here, 5-12 individuals in each. They have decimated the deer population on a nearby island they decided to swim to 4-5 years ago. They are now eating marine mammals there, oddly enough. And they are starving to death which is OK with me. On the mainland, they eat moose, mostly calves. There was a glut of moose in the late 90’s, the wolves couldn’t control them so ADFG did with 3 years of intensive antlerless tags. That certainly took care of the problem.

Introducing them in CO is a bad idea, said it many times. They are not going to play well in civilization. They are not going to wipe the elk out. Loss of habitat and too many people are going to take care of that.

Of course they do not discriminate. They however are not going to kill 80% of the elk herd. Just not buying it brother. For every video of a pet bull elk taken down in Yellowstone, don’t you figure a few get away that aren’t on film?

Sorry I don’t have any pics for you. I live in an intense wolf study area year around. One cannot get here on a road. Helicopter darting, live snaring, gps collars, scat surveys, the works. Expensive. We have 3 packs here, 5-12 individuals in each. They have decimated the deer population on a nearby island they decided to swim to 4-5 years ago. They are now eating marine mammals there, oddly enough. And they are starving to death which is OK with me. On the mainland, they eat moose, mostly calves. There was a glut of moose in the late 90’s, the wolves couldn’t control them so ADFG did with 3 years of intensive antlerless tags. That certainly took care of the problem.

Introducing them in CO is a bad idea, said it many times. They are not going to play well in civilization. They are not going to wipe the elk out. Loss of habitat and too many people are going to take care of that.
They decimated the deer? Were those deer all old and sick? 😆

Google some stats on the decimation of the Yellowstone herd. And don’t blame the bears they were there long before the wolves entered the system.

3 packs with 5-12 each huh? Intense study area huh? I watched Montana’s 250 unit go from deer and elk licenses go from unlimited to a max of 2 elk tags for non resident hunters. Two! Deer went to extremely limited permits and the moose are gone. They have killed entire packs from helicopters but not until the wolves turned to livestock for a food source.

Wolves eat elk. Period. Any elk. Every elk they can. They work as a team and can run any big game animal to exhaustion. My intense study is actually watching them do it.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
They decimated the deer? Were those deer all old and sick? 😆

Google some stats on the decimation of the Yellowstone herd. And don’t blame the bears they were there long before the wolves entered the system.

3 packs with 5-12 each huh? Intense study area huh? I watched Montana’s 250 unit go from deer and elk licenses go from unlimited to a max of 2 elk tags for non resident hunters. Two! Deer went to extremely limited permits and the moose are gone. They have killed entire packs from helicopters but not until the wolves turned to livestock for a food source.

Wolves eat elk. Period. Any elk. Every elk they can. They work as a team and can run any big game animal to exhaustion. My intense study is actually watching them do it.
There is a sign (you know the type, put there by the park explaining the ecology) in yellowstone saying matter of factly that the elk population in the park is down 75% since wolf reintroduction. Guessing someone on here can find a pic of it.

gbflyer

WKR
They decimated the deer? Were those deer all old and sick?

Naw, they were healthy. They’re on an island that’s 19sq mi. There’s no escape.

You obviously have strong feelings about the matter and that’s OK with me. I suspect we have more in common than not. Have a nice evening.

Naw, they were healthy. They’re on an island that’s 19sq mi. There’s no escape.

You obviously have strong feelings about the matter and that’s OK with me. I suspect we have more in common than not. Have a nice evening.
I do feel strongly about the subject. The myths are annoying. Only the old and sick. Only kill what they need to. Then there’s the fairytale that the wolves devastating the elk in Yellowstone improved the quality of the streams and the trout are doing better. To me anyone who believes and repeats these things is a part of the problem. It’s stories like that that resulted in uneducated people voting to bring wolves to their home state of Colorado. Anyone who actually knows the facts would never support that. I hate to admit it but I’m looking forward to being able to say I told you so.

You seem like a nice enough guy. Do some Googling and we might have even more in common. You have a nice evening too.

They also say the pack that was video taped in South Park was a pack of “Saint Bernard’s”. Didn’t looks like Saint Bernard’s to me

If the CPW is not for this policy and it is being "forced upon them" by a miniscule %age of voters then how about the "wolf reintroduction team" just refuse to do it? Or just slow walk everything / sabotage the program? Hopefully they will & just not say anything. Delay it enough & put it back on the ballot or go find a friendly judge to shitcan the program like the Obama liberal judge did in WY for the grizzly season. It's time our side played by the same rules as they do

gbflyer

WKR
If the CPW is not for this policy and it is being "forced upon them" by a miniscule %age of voters then how about the "wolf reintroduction team" just refuse to do it? Or just slow walk everything / sabotage the program? Hopefully they will & just not say anything. Delay it enough & put it back on the ballot or go find a friendly judge to shitcan the program like the Obama liberal judge did in WY for the grizzly season. It's time our side played by the same rules as they do

Exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meeker resident here. Friends at church had 14 I think killed. Hunting was terrible this year as stated. Its only going to get worse across the state once more are introduced.
Very sorry to hear this. It is going to get way worse unfortunately.