Meat hauler frames - which one?

balto68

FNG
I'm looking at a few options for this fall, and I think I'm going to go with an under-$150 pack frame. Now the question is which one. There are lots of options, and the one I see most often online is the Kelty Cache Hauler, which I think has maybe been discontinued by Kelty but is still available at some places. Cheaper still is the Cabelas Alaskan. But then there's the Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter and Instinct Extreme, which are $40 and $50 more expensive, respectively.

I understand that these are not top of the line choices, but I am looking for good-enough at this point. I've seen the Kelty and one or two of the Cabelas packs in person, and for the life of me I have a hard time telling them apart. They all fit pretty well and feel pretty good. The Kelty padding is cushier. Is it just a matter of features, like Kelty's hinged meat shelf? Or are there quality differences? Or other issues? What factors should go into making this decision?

tttoadman

WKR
The guide frame is better than the Alaskan by far. We gave a guide frame a sex change to clean it up a little. We added some straps. We took the bar out of the bottom and ran a strap through it. It is pretty clean. Get some dry bags, and you can get some good years out of it.

Even though I don't personally own one I can definitely recommend the Cabela's brand frames. My hunting partner has a Cabela's unit (I thought it was called the Guide or Outfitter) and it is the strongest one they offer. He has used it in Alaska for 8 straight years with no failures. A lot of tons of moose and caribou have been hauled on his frame. He could afford a NASA-built titanium frame if he wanted one, but he prefers that Cabela's unit to everything else he's tried. If it works...it works.

I own a Barney's Freighter Frame, but it definitely exceeds your $150 limit.

KNOPHISH

FNG
I've had the Cabela's Alaskan for a few years & it does very well with heavy loads. I got nothing on the others.

I've ised the kelty cache hauler frame and it works really well. The wings help hold hear and it's got a built in Orange rain fly. The belt is super comfy as well.

colonel00

WKR
If you are interested, I have both an Extreme Alaskan (Lightweight) and a regular Alaskan Outfitter from Cabela's that could be available. These are a few years old but still in good shape. Shoot me a PM if you want.

Salix

FNG
Another option to look at if you are only looking to haul meat is the LLBean hunter carry-all. It's affordable ( under $100) and handles quarters very well. Used one for past 5 years for elk hunting and has worked great for hauling out game.
J

kodiakfly

WKR
I used to have a Cabela's and hauled some heavy moose loads on it and it performed great. I have a Barney's now, but that Cabela's frame did really well.

I'm looking for one myself and I think.im gonna go with the Alps Outdoor Commander Freighthauler. They also come with a 5200 ci bag for under $130.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Very interesting Luke. Does it seem well made to last a while? The price is definitely great if so.

Like anything it really depends on how much use you intend to get out of it year in year out. That factor varies to much person to person its very hard to say. What works for me for 2-3 years wouldn't last Billy Molls a single season. :)

twall13

WKR
I'd second a Bullpac if you can manage to scrape a bit more out of the budget. A standard Bullpac will run you just over $200 but those things are bombproof.