meat drag

Scottf270

WKR
Saw a roll up piece of plastic with eyelets called a Magnum Deer Sleigh'r. Would this have any use on moose quarters? Would a folded over portion of good tarp be strong enough if you doubled the eyelets for strength? Looking for any advantage I can get humping moose quarters.

fellerr

Lil-Rokslider
I have only packed out 1 moose, so minimal experience, but in our area, I do not believe a drag would have worked. To swampy, to many little holes or ditches…trees, logs…to catch it on.

Might be convenient in the right situation though?

mooster

WKR
We used a roll up deer drag sled (deer sleigh’r $39 Amazon, 3.25 lbs.) on quarters last year. Worked like a charm in tall grass lakeside. Only issue was that your meat could get wet if you drug all the way to the waters edge.

Last edited:

Southeast

FNG
I bought one of those Magnum Deer Sleigh'rs for my upcoming AK trip. It's weight and bulk is substantial if one is trying to go light, but I'm willing to try it to avoid carrying a moose hind quarter across the tundra.

mooster

WKR
I bought one of those Magnum Deer Sleigh'rs for my upcoming AK trip. It's weight and bulk is substantial if one is trying to go light, but I'm willing to try it to avoid carrying a moose hind quarter across the tundra.
3 lbs. 4 oz. wasn't too bad, its more the bulk of having a rolled up tube 36" x 6". At least we stuffed other gear inside of it, during transport.

Last edited:

Voyageur

WKR
I hear you about figuring ways to work smarter rather than harder as you age. I bought one of these for use in units that require meat be left on the bone. Haven't had a chance to put it to use yet, but it looks like it should do the job Hope this helps.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
I use something similar on occasion but you need the right terrain in my opinion.

In large tussocks it'll be a chore but grassy areas it will work well. Put a cheap tarp in the sled first and then wrap the quarter in it to help keep it dry for short distances through a little water.

OP
S

Scottf270

WKR
I ordered it today along with a Hunter Specialties harness. Shipped direct to Bethel. Cost me 60 bucks but I have wasted more money for less. Will still have my Kelty pack with meat shelf.

AKDoc

WKR
I ordered it today along with a Hunter Specialties harness. Shipped direct to Bethel. Cost me 60 bucks but I have wasted more money for less. Will still have my Kelty pack with meat shelf.
Good move sir, which I doubt that you will regret.

Great feedback from other members thus far!

I've hunted out of Bethel for the past ten years, and will be there again in two weeks. I've brought a roll-up sled for the past eight years and will again this year. It works great over the tundra. I just carefully zig-zag my way back to the meat pole through the tussocks, and I will never drag through water.

Have a safe and great adventure!

Edit: Also, a side-note for others to bring hiking poles with you...they really help when dragging with a harness, and were a must for me when humping meat loads on my back over the tundra!

Last edited:
No matter how it gets moved, manually transporting moose meat is always a drag.

The sled is a great idea. It wouldn't be ideal in my setting due to rough ground, scrub birch, willow and snaggy ground.