Measuring Bitzenberger right helical amount

Hey everyone. I apologize in advance if this has been addressed in the past. I was unable to find anything via search. I am going to be fletching my first dozen arrows this week with a Bitzenberger and right helical clamp. I am curious if it is possible to measure the angle of helical?

This is probably the cheapest and most user friendly option.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
The Bitz kinda sucks for helical. Seems like I get more from a straight clamp without offset, than trying to do it with a helical clamp.

However, the Bitz doesn’t come close to the Arizona e-z fletch for helical.

OP
T
That guide is really cool! Would a piece of blue tape with angles drawn on it work as well, or would the helix clamp make that a no-go option?

OP
T
The Bitz kinda sucks for helical. Seems like I get more from a straight clamp without offset, than trying to do it with a helical clamp.

However, the Bitz doesn’t come close to the Arizona e-z fletch for helical.
I purchased the bitz and then read all of the EZ-fletch reviews... hopefully I didn't make a mistake.

OP
T
If you want a bunch of helical, you probably did. If you want a good offset and an easy to use tool, you made a good choice.
That is reassuring! I am hopeful that 2-3 degrees of right helix will provide good stabilization and flight. Looking for an upgrade over the straight blazers that are on my pre-fletched shafts right now.

Reactions: Zac

N2TRKYS

WKR
That is reassuring! I am hopeful that 2-3 degrees of right helix will provide good stabilization and flight. Looking for an upgrade over the straight blazers that are on my pre-fletched shafts right now.

You can get all you need from the Bitz. I just wanted to do the crazy amount of helical. Lol

Hey everyone. I apologize in advance if this has been addressed in the past. I was unable to find anything via search. I am going to be fletching my first dozen arrows this week with a Bitzenberger and right helical clamp. I am curious if it is possible to measure the angle of helical?
Did you get the zenith upgrade kit for you bitz? It's worth it, if you're going to be fletching a lot in the future.

It's not necessary, but it really holds the nock end of the arrow a lot better.

For what it's worth, in my anecdotal testing, I never really saw a difference in accuracy or or broadhead steering when comparing helical and offset. I never really got into the extreme helical though because I didn't want to have that much drag on my arrow.

Everyone is different though. If that's your thing, more power to you.

Reactions: ZDR
OP
T
Did you get the zenith upgrade kit for you bitz? It's worth it, if you're going to be fletching a lot in the future.

It's not necessary, but it really holds the nock end of the arrow a lot better.

For what it's worth, in my anecdotal testing, I never really saw a difference in accuracy or or broadhead steering when comparing helical and offset. I never really got into the extreme helical though because I didn't want to have that much drag on my arrow.

Everyone is different though. If that's your thing, more power to you.

I do not have the upgrade kit. Just a bone stock Bitz with a right helical clamp. I will have to add that to my Lancaster Cart as well

OP
T
First test done with the bitz

Testing Loctite 770 and 414 for adhesion on TAC vanes

Wrap and prep were rushed a little for the sake of testing the jig and adhesion.

My firm needs some work. Preliminary adhesion is excellent! Pull off testing once the glue is fully cured.
e6a80492badb0d81be089c960bc84b6f.jpg

a576fbe411aed7721e80c908f051da9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
I also got frustrated and made a bunch of adapters to help the bitz put hard (known) angles onto shafts better. Made several dozen sets of these for guys so far, ping me if you’re interested.

OP
T
I also got frustrated and made a bunch of adapters to help the bitz put hard (known) angles onto shafts better. Made several dozen sets of these for guys so far, ping me if you’re interested.

Great idea! I don’t have a straight clamp for my jig. Your adaptor and a straight clamp is an appealing solution.

Zac

WKR
I think most people start out trying to measure offset then come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter. Even your factory fletched Blazers are actually a 1 degree offset and work just fine. You will have a comfortable amount between 1-2.5 degrees with the Bitz which is about perfect. If you have a helical clamp you can almost run the vane straight and be fine. You only need a tiny amount of offset with that clamp.

OP
T
1fe52a2ad12d5e9cebca5a0684303a4a.jpg

Well that was short lived! Seems that arrow wraps and cold temps don’t mix when shooting groups. This was oracle 651 vinyl. Non-wrapped arrows look fine.

I use a Bitz w/right wing helical that I bought new in 1975. Still working great! I can get about a measured 2* helical out of it on micro Easton Carbon Injexion shafts. 2* Blazers work very well for me to stabilize my 3-blade mechanical broadheads.

As far as the wraps, I use Bohning wraps, Blazers and Platinum Fletchtite and have no issues with weather. Even used them polar bear hunting at -40* without issue.