MDT HNT26 Chassis System

Has anyone had experience with this chassis system? I love the look but have never held one. I am highly debating buying one if the new savages of weatherbys in this chassis or just doing a build off it. All options are pretty pricy so before I start to make moves I want to know if people like it and think it’s worth the cost.

Side bar: I’m a big savage fan as everyone I have ever owned has been a tack driver… but almost 3k for a savage seems crazy.

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got two rifles in HNT26 chassis and love them both. Before you go and spend that kind of coin though, what’s the purpose of the rifle going to be?

Have one and absolutely love it. Already planning g my next build around one. You can also put a heat pack in the hole in the grip and have a heated grip for those cold days in the stand!!

OP
CoHunter1991
Dam that’s awesome. Yeah I’m hesitant because of cost but I really do like the look. And functionality seems to check a lot of boxes

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had experience with this chassis system? I love the look but have never held one. I am highly debating buying one if the new savages of weatherbys in this chassis or just doing a build off it. All options are pretty pricy so before I start to make moves I want to know if people like it and think it’s worth the cost.

Side bar: I’m a big savage fan as everyone I have ever owned has been a tack driver… but almost 3k for a savage seems crazy.

That 3k also includes a $900 Proof carbon barrel so there’s $2600 in great parts for the elite ultra light but it’s hard to pull the trigger on buying it.

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Man if you’re going to spend that kind of money on a savage.. maybe entertain just building a custom rifle. You’ll spend a bit more but you’ll get much more out of it.

Jon_G

WKR
I'm a huge fan of the HNT. If it only looked good but wasn't functional than there'd be no point in it but I love everything it offers. In cold weather it doesn't get cold, it doesn't take up much space with the folding stock, and the ergonomics are so damn well thought out (at least for me).

I entertained a grayboe stock initially but now that I've spent on an HNT26 I don't regret it one bit. I put it on a Bergara B-14 and spent about $2100 with just the barrel and HNT26620230825_143332.jpg20230825_142935.jpg

I'd try one first if you can. Or get one used or on sale. No way I'd buy one full price. I was underwhelmed. With spacers and mag it weighs as much as my OEM Tikka stock. The grip was good but the butt pad wasn't much and I didn't like how it rode a bag. The click on the folder I thought was loud for my spooky deer and I like to strap my rile in my sg quick release sling anyways so I wasn't going to use the folder anyways. I much prefer my thumb in line with the bore too. Since have gone back to a regular stock. The rokstock works much better for me and actually improved recoil management and shot spotting.

khuber84

WKR
The sloped carbon grip sucks, the mdt vertical carbon should be a 0$ cost option upon buying, but no it's way more money. Folder is great, locks up fn solid. The spacer system for LOP sucks. It's a bitch to bed(and yes you should bed a chassis for optimum performance/accuracy). This is a niche item, plenty of stocks offer better performance, but DON'T fold. If you need a lightweight folder, this is great, I feel better than the xlr element mg chassis. The only upgrade that xlr offers, is the adjustable mag latch.

Good takes above. I have two HNT26 chassis, and I love them dearly. They’re not perfect, but they are rock solid and fold. Hard to beat that. For the money though, the Rokstok is a better value.

The sloped carbon grip sucks, the mdt vertical carbon should be a 0$ cost option upon buying, but no it's way more money. Folder is great, locks up fn solid. The spacer system for LOP sucks. It's a bitch to bed(and yes you should bed a chassis for optimum performance/accuracy). This is a niche item, plenty of stocks offer better performance, but DON'T fold. If you need a lightweight folder, this is great, I feel better than the xlr element mg chassis. The only upgrade that xlr offers, is the adjustable mag latch.

agree on most of this, especially the grip.

I hate the included grip. Instead of buying the $200 carbon MDT vertical version, I just got a plastic one from another brand. Sure it weighs a bit more but it’s not worth another $200 when the chassis is already spendy.

The spacer system doesn’t bother me. I guess if I was adjusting it more than once, it would be annoying. The LOP without spacers does seem extremely short to me (6’1”). It would be great for a youth, but I suspect they did it more for minimizing advertised weight.

The included recoil pad sucks. I replaced it with an OBI that looks 3D printed and is a huge improvement. It also adds a bit more LOP.

I haven’t found the need to bed mine. It shoots very well with my Kelbly Nanook.

I love the chassis now that I changed out those two things. However, it does piss me off that you need to sink more money into it. There’s no excuse for the grip and recoil pad in my opinion. The only competitor would be the XLR but I just don’t like the feel of that chassis.

OP
CoHunter1991
I'm a huge fan of the HNT. If it only looked good but wasn't functional than there'd be no point in it but I love everything it offers. In cold weather it doesn't get cold, it doesn't take up much space with the folding stock, and the ergonomics are so damn well thought out (at least for me).

I entertained a grayboe stock initially but now that I've spent on an HNT26 I don't regret it one bit. I put it on a Bergara B-14 and spent about $2100 with just the barrel and HNT266View attachment 761635View attachment 761636
Dam that thing is sweet. this is exactly why I want one. bummer it still needs some cash after you do the initial purchase.

stephane

Lil-Rokslider

I entertained a grayboe stock initially but now that I've spent on an HNT26 I don't regret it one bit. I put it on a Bergara B-14 and spent about $2100 with just the barrel and HNT266View attachment 761635View attachment 761636
What case is this? Looking to put something like this together for my HNT26