MDT Chassis replacement buttpad

I bought a MDT HNT26 folding chassis and while I love how light it is and how it folds, they sacrificed a lot in the buttpad to make it hit their target weight. I would like to fit a Limbsaver Air Recoil pad to it, but don't see any of their options with the 2.55" hole spacing.

Has anyone else swapped out a buttpad on a MDT Stock?

I see now that XLR puts a Limbsaver Air on one of their buttstocks.

OP
chutinlead
Well after digging thru the limbsaver template pdf, I found one grind to fit (10540) that should work except I'll have to make an adapter to move the top hole location up about a 1/2".

It was when I was drawing out a template that I went and checked a 22lr I have that also has an MDT chassis on it that I found out the buttpad that came on my Savage B22 precision has more rubber in the buttstock than the HNT26 does. So in the meantime while I wait for my Limbsaver to come in, I am going to just swap the buttpads and go do some more load development.

I also got ahold of someone at Limbsaver and am going to see if they will consider making a model that fits all the MDT chassis systems.
PXL_20220913_192305924.jpg
PXL_20220913_192316996.jpg
PXL_20220913_192353416.jpg

OP
chutinlead
Got the grind-to-fit Limbsaver pad in and got the new top hole drilled in the pad to get it mounted to my stock. Then scribed my line around the stock and off to the disc sander.

PXL_20220920_185948922.jpg

OP
chutinlead
I don't see the 10540 pad on the Limbsaver website. Did you use the small, medium or large?
I believe it's the medium.
OT but what are your impressions of the chassis?
Absolutely love it. The weight savings really just makes it so I can run a better scope and suppressor and still be under 10lbs, but with adjustability and the folding stock. I built a 7SS on a Terminus Apollo lite with a 20" Carbon6 prefit. Wouldn't change a thing(other than this buttpad lol)

Lawnboi

WKR
I believe it's the medium.

Absolutely love it. The weight savings really just makes it so I can run a better scope and suppressor and still be under 10lbs, but with adjustability and the folding stock. I built a 7SS on a Terminus Apollo lite with a 20" Carbon6 prefit. Wouldn't change a thing(other than this buttpad lol)
I might need one eventually depending on the carbon vertical grip they are coming out with looks.

Just need to decide if I buy one in a tikka inlet or go with another rem clone.

22 creedmoor with a 16” barrel, in a folder hnt 26 with an ultra 7 screwed on sounds like a winner

OP
chutinlead
I might need one eventually depending on the carbon vertical grip they are coming out with looks.

Just need to decide if I buy one in a tikka inlet or go with another rem clone.

22 creedmoor with a 16” barrel, in a folder hnt 26 with an ultra 7 screwed on sounds like a winner
I started with a Tikka and decided I didn't want to get into that whole ecosystem. So I sold it and built exactly what I wanted. I did have to try a Sig Cross along the way to make sure I like the folding design. It has its place and getting a whole gun for the price of a HNT26 chassis is easier to convince yourself of.

@chutinlead I'm torn between the XLR 4.0 Magnesium and the MDT HNT26. Do you have a lot of flex when shooting the 7SS? Proof mentioned they were having issues with the 3 screws coming loose (I think they changed it to 5 screws now) and needing to bed the recoil lug. Are you having these issues?

OP
chutinlead
@chutinlead I'm torn between the XLR 4.0 Magnesium and the MDT HNT26. Do you have a lot of flex when shooting the 7SS? Proof mentioned they were having issues with the 3 screws coming loose (I think they changed it to 5 screws now) and needing to bed the recoil lug. Are you having these issues?
No I haven't had any issues yet. Mine has 5screws for the forend, but I believe that have got to just 3 because their testing showed the 2 short ones didn't do anything and you can't torque them beyond hand tight anyway.

No I haven't had any issues yet. Mine has 5screws for the forend, but I believe that have got to just 3 because their testing showed the 2 short ones didn't do anything and you can't torque them beyond hand tight anyway.

You're right I just called them and it looks like they moved to only 3 screws. The 2 additional screws were consistently getting stripped and were 100% cosmetic only.

Any other drawbacks with the MDT minus the buttpad?

OP
chutinlead
You're right I just called them and it looks like they moved to only 3 screws. The 2 additional screws were consistently getting stripped and were 100% cosmetic only.

Any other drawbacks with the MDT minus the buttpad?
I'm not a huge fan of the carbon fiber grip, but using it, I forget it.

The top side of the forend is sort of sharp under the scope bell, but that could just be mine specific forend.

The folder takes a little practice to do in one motion, but it works and locks up tight.

I came from a Sig Cross before this and feel like I am not giving anything up, and gained the ability to use a custom action for a short mag. If the Sig Cross came in a 6.5PRC, that would have been a tougher call.

I'm not a huge fan of the carbon fiber grip, but using it, I forget it.

The top side of the forend is sort of sharp under the scope bell, but that could just be mine specific forend.

The folder takes a little practice to do in one motion, but it works and locks up tight.

I came from a Sig Cross before this and feel like I am not giving anything up, and gained the ability to use a custom action for a short mag. If the Sig Cross came in a 6.5PRC, that would have been a tougher call.

Sweet so would you do it again or go with an XLR 4.0?

OP
chutinlead
update to this.

I switched to the limbsaver mentioned by this website that sells an adapter and just ground off the plastic choate stock specific part and drilled 2 holes to match MDT hole spacing. Worked just fine. Now the Backfire Youtube channel has a lightweight buttpad that has caught my eye that is designed for MDT stocks.

Odd1out

FNG
First pic is grind to fit medium. Helped cut the tuning fork sensation quite a bit when u shoot. Next is the mdt vertical pad, just got this and will test on the weekend. The pad is alot better( thicker) The 3 screws did loosen up on the forend but I read instructions wrong, used the torque for the tiny screws . Once I used the 20inch/lbs its been mint.
16e64b4ce3e557298f6ac2b853c00afc.jpg
f1ec5fad0c64d8e0969364e0150a71af.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Odd1out

FNG
Will the new backfire recoil pad work? It’s made to fit exactly but a bit pricey.
I haven't tried the backfire one. But I have used the peak44 one on their stock. I didn't feel like it was much different then a softer limbsaver. Very similar design.

First pic is grind to fit medium. Helped cut the tuning fork sensation quite a bit when u shoot.
16e64b4ce3e557298f6ac2b853c00afc.jpg
f1ec5fad0c64d8e0969364e0150a71af.jpg

did you have to do any drilling or cutting into the spacers to make the grind to fit medium work?

I dont want to give back fire a dime but if its a lot easier and plug and play then i might have it