MD Sika Trip

What would you do differently next time?
I think next time I will try to target the peak rut a little closer, though that would mean more hunters. Now that I better understand what the phragmites is like and how it translates on satellite imagery I think I would try to push into the thick cover a little more. I was somewhat intimidated go real deep into it not knowing if I would ever find an area that opened up enough to hunt. We hunted one area that had patches of pragmites intermixed with other good cover that offered good shot oportunities. I would like to find more spots like that. Otherwise we hunted edges/transition areas, which had a ton of sign and is where dad saw hinds, but I felt that we would have better ods if we hunted deeper in the cover. I also think that boat access would be a huge advantage.

You guys were here probably at a good time. Hinds will be coming into estrous for a while. November is a good time to get after the while everyone else is chasing whitetails. Be glad we've had a much cooler fall that has kept the mosquitoes at bay. I think your own self advice of getting into the phrag is a good idea. It's a difficult balance of being able to see more than 10 yds, vs. seeing a deer.

Good info here. I hunt the eastern shore a few times a year, usually hear bugles but never specifically targeted them. My buddy killed a sika last year hiking into his spot, stag was standing 20 yards off the trail completely oblivious. I dont see how you can get any luckier.

Back