McMillan vs Grayboe

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at the Hunters Edge and the Outlander from Grayboe. I know the McMillan is carbon fiber, but the weights run within a few ounces (2-3) of each other and the Grayboe is 44% less expensive for my particular build. Is there that great a difference in the fit, finish and feel?

Nice.

Did you consider other manufacturers? Also, what are wait times looking like?
July 1 and counting, I was not worried about wait times because I probably won't get the action until November.

Budget and weight were part of my decision. I think they offer a great value (assuming they don't botch it). My action and barrel should fit well and be light without being too light for an unbraked 280AI.

Waiting on my greyboe as well, was the most cost effective solution for me. I have a buddy who has a greyboe terrain on his rifle and I liked it so ordered a Phoenix on labor day for 25% off

I have 2 of the greyboe’s. A terrain and a ridgeback. Heavier than a McMillan but 1/3-1/2 the cost. Inlet is pretty good on both and both are very rigid. I am happy with both.

I have one Outlander for a 700 and had another one on a rifle I sold. Not quite as stiff as an McMillan or HS, but both rifles shot fantastic. The rear sling stud in my current Outlander has come loose in the stock. It is still functional but the insert spins freely. I know how this happened and it’s really not a fault of the stock.

Personally I think the feel of the Outlander is perfect. It has a thin wrist and the forend is just the right size. The feel is a lot like the original wood stocked USMC M40. That said I do not like fat vertical grip “tactical” stocks.

Attachments

• A31369E9-3DDA-48DB-AE20-E7D800DC65F5.jpeg
    A31369E9-3DDA-48DB-AE20-E7D800DC65F5.jpeg
    683.1 KB · Views: 131
I have one Outlander for a 700 and had another one on a rifle I sold. Not quite as stiff as an McMillan or HS, but both rifles shot fantastic. The rear sling stud in my current Outlander has come loose in the stock. It is still functional but the insert spins freely. I know how this happened and it’s really not a fault of the stock.

Personally I think the feel of the Outlander is perfect. It has a thin wrist and the forend is just the right size. The feel is a lot like the original wood stocked USMC M40. That said I do not like fat vertical grip “tactical” stocks.
Looks great!

And I’m with you, I just can’t do the vertical grip on my woods gun. I have held multiples over the past few months and they just feel off. I went so far as to bring my calipers with me
to gun shops, and measured grip thickness in case I found on that did it for me, nada. There is something about a sleek traditional rifle stock in my hand that fits.

My hunting buddy got the Grayboe Phoenix and his is 38oz and was $600. I paid $400 more for a carbon fiber stock that listed to weigh 28oz - but found out that the advertised weight doesn't include the pillars or any bedding, etc. My more expensive carbon fiber stock weighs 37oz. The Grayboe feels just as good as mine, and he saved $400. Hindsight being 20/20 I would have ordered a Grayboe

I have a Grayboe Phoenix on a short action and it weighs exactly 32 oz with bedding material. I like the stock: the adjustability and mlok's are nice.

I went ahead ordered the McMillan hunters edge Sendero, it had a few more options I wanted.
Now I get to wait the 4-6 months before it ships.

Thanks for the responses.

Back