Maven RS.5 - low light performance?

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market for a nice SFP optic for a hunting rifle. I came across the Maven RS.5 4-24x50 - which is priced great compared to some other optics I’m looking at. Curious to know how its low light performance is compared to some other popular offerings? I do a lot of open field evening hunts - so I really prefer an optic with good low light performance. My other rifles wear a Leupold VX6-HD, Zeiss v6, and NF ATACR - which are all great in low light - but also a good bit more expensive that the Maven RS.5. I also have a couple pair of Maven binos and really like them for their price point.

Full list of optics I’m looking at for this rifle are:
Maven RS.5 4-24x50 SFP
NF NX8 4-32x50 SFP (may step up to ATACR 4-16x50)
Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 SFP
Swaro z5i 5-25x52 SFP

Thanks for any insight

KenLee

WKR
The Maven illumination bleeds out a little to my eyes and anything over 15-18x magnification seems a waste to me. I was unimpressed enough to hand the rifle/scope back to the owner at 20 minutes past sunset because I wanted my Leica back. It was a moonless evening.
Also this Maven failed Form's drop test.

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
The Maven illumination bleeds out a little to my eyes and anything over 15-18x magnification seems a waste to me. I was unimpressed enough to hand the rifle/scope back to the owner at 20 minutes past sunset because I wanted my Leica back. It was a moonless evening.
Also this Maven failed Form's drop test.

Appreciate the feedback! I looked a bit at the Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50i - but haven’t been able to get my hands on one in person. Would be curious to know how these do in low light as well if anyone has experience.

sdupontjr

WKR
If low light is what your after, schmidt bender Polar T96 is king. I have a dedicated tikka 308 that is my low light setup with a SB Polar 4-16x56. I could easily go to jail for shooting pass legal light.
20200921_132526.jpg

KenLee

WKR
Appreciate the feedback! I looked a bit at the Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50i - but haven’t been able to get my hands on one in person. Would be curious to know how these do in low light as well if anyone has experience.
For the price, I doubt you'd beat the ones on clearance at eurooptic.
Accupoint 56mm is close and I like it's reticle more. Only 10x magnification on the $700 Accupoint 56mm though.

As said above, if you are going to spend $3 grand , get the Polar. For a grand, Accupoints or Amplus.
I really appreciate my Magnus i 2.4-16x56 but it's bo longer available in the US.

I'm not paying big $ for any nightforce or leupold.

sdupontjr

WKR
^^^ this. Should have elaborated more. I also have a 2.5-10x56 accupoint that my son now sports on his R700. But as KenLee mentioned, if your willing to spend big $$$, it's a no brainer.

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
If low light is what your after, schmidt bender Polar T96 is king. I have a dedicated tikka 308 that is my low light setup with a SB Polar 4-16x56. I could easily go to jail for shooting pass legal light.
View attachment 700241

The price tag and 56mm objective will likely put this one out of the question. I’ll keep my eyes peeled in the classifieds for one tho. Appreciate the input!

For the price, I doubt you'd beat the ones on clearance at eurooptic.
Accupoint 56mm is close and I like it's reticle more. Only 10x magnification on the $700 Accupoint 56mm though.

As said above, if you are going to spend $3 grand , get the Polar. For a grand, Accupoints or Amplus.
I really appreciate my Magnus i 2.4-16x56 but it's bo longer available in the US.

I'm not paying big $ for any nightforce or leupold.

I’d prefer to stay with a 50mm or smaller objective if possible. Do you have any experience with the Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50i by chance? That foot print is closer to what I’d prefer.

KenLee

WKR
The price tag and 56mm objective will likely put this one out of the question. I’ll keep my eyes peeled in the classifieds for one tho. Appreciate the input!

I’d prefer to stay with a 50mm or smaller objective if possible. Do you have any experience with the Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50i by chance? That foot print is closer to what I’d prefer.
I don't with the amplus 50mm. I'm sure it's great in low light.
I have a 6 yr old leica er5 4-20x50 that's nice. Probably close to same in low light

elkguide

WKR
I've only used an RS.5 for a year and have had no issues with it. It isn't as good as the Swarovskis that I have at dark thirty but for the price I think that it's a great option. I like the cross hair as it isn't as busy as many are today. I would/will buy another.

Mtank79

FNG
I don't with the amplus 50mm. I'm sure it's great in low light.
I have a 6 yr old leica er5 4-20x50 that's nice. Probably close to same in low light
I have a er5 4x20x50 as well & really like it. I also have a vx5hd 3x15x56 & I prefer it ever so slightly to the er5. For me personally I slightly prefer the vx5 over the er5.

Mtank79

FNG
I’m in the market for a nice SFP optic for a hunting rifle. I came across the Maven RS.5 4-24x50 - which is priced great compared to some other optics I’m looking at. Curious to know how its low light performance is compared to some other popular offerings? I do a lot of open field evening hunts - so I really prefer an optic with good low light performance. My other rifles wear a Leupold VX6-HD, Zeiss v6, and NF ATACR - which are all great in low light - but also a good bit more expensive that the Maven RS.5. I also have a couple pair of Maven binos and really like them for their price point.

Maven RS.5 4-24x50 SFP
Swaro z5i 5-25x52 SFP

Thanks for any insight
Your list & my current list are almost identical with the only difference I have the tenmile

Maven RS.5 4-24x50 SFP
Swaro z5i 5-25x52 SFP

Thanks for any insight
Your list & my current list are almost identical with the only difference I have the tenmile hx 5x25x50 instead of the swaro.