Maven Riflescope Recommendation?

CB4

WKR
I am currently debating between two maven scopes. Either the RS.3 or CRS.2. It will initially go on a Ruger American 270 with the hopes of upgrading it in the next year or two. Any input?

I am currently debating between two maven scopes. Either the RS.3 or CRS.2. It will initially go on a Ruger American 270 with the hopes of upgrading it in the next year or two. Any input?
Well what are you looking to do with the scope? Ffp or sfp? How far are you looking to shoot? Are you worried about weight? I would personally buy the best scope you can afford.

TN2shot07

WKR
I have an R.S2 and a CR.S1, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either one for a hunting rig. The weight and glass on that rs2 is awesome if you’re trying to put together something light

Get the RS3.2 hands down. They have reworked the internals and I believe @Ryan Avery told me at WHCE that someone has one and it is/was doing much better with zero retention than the RS3s I tested and the RS5 that Form tested. If that is true, "upgrading" might not be necessary.

I did the review here for the CRS.2, https://www.rokslide.com/maven-crs-2-riflescope-review/ , and I wouldn't look at these two scopes for remotely the same purpose. I'd be a-ok putting it on a rimfire or a tree stand whitetail rifle, but the sub tensions don't make sense for much else, it isn't meant to be dialed, and while I didn't break mine, I don't think a 16oz scope would handle rough use.
So you’re saying the rs3.2 would be a better backcountry option than the crs2?

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
Maven RS3.2 5-30x50mm SHR-W, got mine back 2019 and its been a joy run..

sndmn11

WKR
So you’re saying the rs3.2 would be a better backcountry option than the crs2?

On paper, absolutely.

I got a RS3.2 to play around with after talking with people at Maven and elsewhere. I edited my comment above because those conversations have me doubting the ability for the RS3.2 to retain zero through the testing.

It does make much more sense than the crs series.

elkguide

WKR
As one who has several alpha glass optics, I have been very impressed with the RS.5 that I have on a .300 WinMag. I have only used it for 2 years but those 2 were very busy years. I've been impressed enough that I just acquired another one.

On paper, absolutely.

I got a RS3.2 to play around with after talking with people at Maven and elsewhere. I edited my comment above because those conversations have me doubting the ability for the RS3.2 to retain zero through the testing.

It does make much more sense than the crs series.
The price point in the crs2 makes it more attainable for me, I think I saw in the review that it held zero well is that right?

sndmn11

WKR
The price point in the crs2 makes it more attainable for me, I think I saw in the review that it held zero well is that right?

The three drops were not on par with what has been outlined here for zero retention and what I have done since then. I think that review is a good outline of the scope itself, but my concept of zero retention has evolved since then.

What are you trying to to do, and how much can you spend?

The three drops were not on par with what has been outlined here for zero retention and what I have done since then. I think that review is a good outline of the scope itself, but my concept of zero retention has evolved since then.

What are you trying to to do, and how much can you spend?
I’m in D16 area, I’ll be trying to get a mule down here this year which requires me to get into some backcountry with the high hunting pressure. Spending over $1,000 right now seems like out of budget. Really just looking for something reliable so when I get a shot, it’s on mark and I don’t wound a deer.

sndmn11

WKR
I’m in D16 area, I’ll be trying to get a mule down here this year which requires me to get into some backcountry with the high hunting pressure. Spending over $1,000 right now seems like out of budget. Really just looking for something reliable so when I get a shot, it’s on mark and I don’t wound a deer.

Buy this https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/swfa-6x-mil.366484/

Or this

In that order.

If you have more funds and an immediate need, a LRHS2 or Nightforce SHV. If you can wait and have the funds, an RS1.2.

Pay that kind of money for a scope you shouldn't ever have to think about an up grade!

Buy this https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/swfa-6x-mil.366484/

Or this

In that order.

If you have more funds and an immediate need, a LRHS2 or Nightforce SHV. If you can wait and have the funds, an RS1.2.
Thanks man really appreciate the help. The first one is $300 on their site, do you know why they are asking $575? I wouldn’t be able to use those rings it comes with I’ll need picatinny

Sort of going rate for the SWFA 6x. It’s a popular and often recommended scope here. You can find them for closer to the listed price but you’ll have to wait and scour the forums.

sndmn11

WKR
Oh shit ok
If you are going by regular price, you are overpaying. If you go by value, and most importantly perceived reliability in the field, there's nothing available close to that price.

There is a 3-15 SWFA in the classifieds right now, but I think the 6X is a better scope to be behind.

For reference, my brother bought that 10X side focus I linked above this spring to go on his only hunting rifle. Our dad hunts with the same 6X we are talking about, and I had another that I sold to bank some $. So despite the abundance of more expensive scopes I have and trust, I have no qualms with my brother shooting at elk this year with a SWFA.