Maven CRF.1 Review Q&A

sndmn11

WKR
11/2/22 update: Final Review is up:

Video Review here:

*Of note, in the linked review above, I mentioned the RF.1's scan mode being limited to in/out based on if it was in field/forest mode. Apparently Maven heeded my experience and corrected this shortly after launch. All current production RF.1s scan freely in or out regardless of if they are on field/forest mode. This has been noted/corrected in the above link as well. *

Previous:
Maven is releasing a C-series rangefinder in November, and I have had one to evaluate for about a month now. Press release below.
  • $295
  • Auto illumination
  • Modes include field and forest

PXL_20220926_162756049.jpg

Maven CRF.1 Intro Snippet Video
What questions do you have? Areas of interest, focus, or concern?
My goal is have this wrapped up in a few weeks, prior to purchasing availability.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 11.27.01 AM.png

@robby denning @Justin Crossley

Last edited:

Loughgear

FNG
How you like it so far?? Anything you really dislike about it? Be mainly used for archery for me

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
How you like it so far?? Anything you really dislike about it? Be mainly used for archery for me
It should definitely be considered! I have been using my weekends to help others hunt, so need to set up some more controlled testing for angle compensation and field/forest.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Specs look similar in size to most 7x25, but it’s 6x22. Does it feel bulky carrying it around and in hand?
I don't think I'd notice a size difference in a blindfold grab experiment between most of the other RFs on the market.

It was easy in and out with the rangefinder pouches I could try it in.

elkguide

WKR
Looks interesting.
Love my RF-1. Just wish that it was like this one and didn't have the annoyingly big adjustment nob on the side. (otherwise, it is perfect!)

elkguide

WKR
These pictures show my issue with the RF1. Just tonight I was sitting in a stand overlooking an apple tree and with the unusually warm weather, I didn't bring my binoculars, instead relying on the optics of the RF1. With it being so hot, I didn't have a coat or pack and as I went to quickly get my rangefinder, it was stuck on the knob and I had to almost turn a somersault to get it out of my pocket! I really do like everything else about this RF1 IF I could just get rid of that knob!

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
These pictures show my issue with the RF1. Just tonight I was sitting in a stand overlooking an apple tree and with the unusually warm weather, I didn't bring my binoculars, instead relying on the optics of the RF1. With it being so hot, I didn't have a coat or pack and as I went to quickly get my rangefinder, it was stuck on the knob and I had to almost turn a somersault to get it out of my pocket! I really do like everything else about this RF1 IF I could just get rid of that knob!
CRF.1 sounds like a handy solution then.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Ranging and light gathering as an optic. Sorry for any confusion!
No confusion, I just want to make sure I answer well.

Ranging and the auto illumination were without issue during shooting light. I think it bested the Nikon by a few minutes as far as the auto illumination not flooding the view with red LED. To me that says the light sensor/processor/computer is better. I didn't see any ranging abnormalities compared to the Nikon or Maven's RF.1 in low light.

As far as light gathering, I wouldn't purchase it, or any other 22-25mm objective monocular/rangefinder with the idea of using it pre-dawn to enhance what I see. I do however use my binoculars for that purpose with great success. I think actually seeing through the CRF.1 is possible probably 10-15 minutes BEFORE the LED bleed of the auto illumination is no longer too strong.

In other words, the usability of the CRF.1 as a complete system (see object through glass, range object, read display) the glass/view part isn't the limiting step, reading the display is. During legal shooting light and several minutes outside, it is fully usable. Hopefully that makes sense. I believe that any auto illumination LED optic would be similar due to my experience with the Nikon range finder and some auto illumination red dot sights.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I have a vortex ranger 1000, any experience with those and how does the crf1 compare?
I don't have experience with that rangefinder. That rangefinder lists a max reflective distance of 1000 yards, so I would imagine the CRF.1 would out perform it.

How far can you easily range animals?

Last edited: