Maui Axis deer and pig hunt

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
A friend invited me over to Maui to hunt Axis deer. I booked a last minute flight and a guided hog hunt. As soon as I landed I received a text from the guide that they were cancelling on me.

I met up with my friend and we headed out to a tree farm. There wasn't much daylight left so I scrambled down into a draw and waited. I wasn't prepared for the amount of deer heading down. thumbnail_IMG_5357.jpgSeveral dozen doe started cruising down. Finally a gigantic buck stepped out. I quickly realized using a thermal scope was a bad move. No heat signature from his antlers made it extremely difficult to pick him out among a ton of doe. I rushed my set up so I only had 3 small gaps between the cactus. The first two went by quick and I couldn't get a shot off. On the third one I didn't have any more options so I did my best. Unfortunately I put it right under his chest. I will see that deer in my dreams until I die

thumbnail_63010D08-A50D-48E0-BC64-E044AB2A1232.jpg

We moved to a new area. Once again, one buck (smaller) in a ton of doe. Failing miserably a second time, I ended up taking a doe.

41AA658A-0BC2-4AC8-BBEB-2FF3C2448D5D.jpg

My buddy hooked me up with some local guys that took me out with a 5 pack of dogs for a knife only pig hunt for free. These guys put most hunters I know to shame. 10 miles through the steamy bush crawling and hopping logs at almost 60 years old. The guys were super nice and let me take 3 pigs.

thumbnail_0DCE7F13-2CD0-424F-8449-0B8079AA063A.jpg

They sent me home with some tusks and meat to add to the cooler of deer. Scored a nice sun bleached skull and rack as well so I had something to hang on the wall. We did some spearing but the reef was pretty empty and didn't see anything worth shooting.

Video of the hog hunt.

bangarang

FNG
Awesome trip! I’m trying to figure the regulations out. Is it true I don’t need to purchase tags for game mammals on Maui? I don’t see them for sale on the website.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome trip! I’m trying to figure the regulations out. Is it true I don’t need to purchase tags for game mammals on Maui? I don’t see them for sale on the website.
Yep! Just need your hunting license and some private land to hunt on. There is no bag limit or sex regulations either.

Dream trip right there. Wish you could have gotten the big buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk