Matt Rinella Speaks to Pope and Young

SWFLhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Those Rinella boys sure are passionate About hunting. I’ll have to take some time and listen to this closer.

TheTone

WKR
Can’t wait to watch; p and y has made some interesting promotional choices and partnerships lately that I truly don’t get. I know when I’ve tried to speak to them about it it seemed to fall on deaf ears

CMF

WKR
Are these really causes we could address? Maybe, but if they are, I don't think they're the most bang for your buck to have better quality hunting experiences.

1683094199701.png

I do agree the orgs/industry should focus more on habitat and creating access and opportunity than on R3.
It seems better to fight the access issues and increase access over trying to prevent everyone from posting on social media.

Are there any organizations that focus solely on increasing public land and access? I know many have irons in the fire, like RMEF for elk access, but what about an organization whose sole focus is to purchase and protect land for public access across the country?
It looks like the 4progeny.org in his slide is doing this, but looking into their website and their first project, it looks like the bang for the buck is not going to be there. They have all kinds of costs associated with maintenance, equipment, and management.

I think we need an org that uses its funds to create the most public land access for each dollar. One that spans across species from ducks to elk and maybe spans outside of hunting to other recreationists. Purchasing easements to unlock landlocked parcels, acquiring land when the price is right, passing legislation to protect it indefinitely, increasing hunting opportunities on existing lands, and any other strategies that increase public land use opportunities.

The part about the onX guy having 16k acres of landlocked land is pretty interesting.

Will_m

WKR
I wish his movement would catch hold. It’s too late though unfortunately. My kids world of hunting will be a lot more structured than the one I grew up in.

Highly restricted opportunity is of course better than none. It just hurts to know we hastened it ourselves. I’m confident that it will eventually pop and we will end up like the Europeans.

fatlander

WKR
I do agree the orgs/industry should focus more on habitat and creating access and opportunity than on R3.

More hunters = more money. It’s really that simple. The industry, the non profits, and the state wildlife agencies all have acquired the taste for (more) money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll need to listen more later.

It's interesting that he stated he would rather know where he could kill something not for 15k, then who the hunter was.
I understand the sentiment, but that would be the ultimate spot burning tool. Kinda goes against hunting quietly in my opinion.

fatlander

WKR
I'll need to listen more later.

It's interesting that he stated he would rather know where he could kill something not for 15k, then who the hunter was.
I understand the sentiment, but that would be the ultimate spot burning tool. Kinda goes against hunting quietly in my opinion.

I think he said that somewhat tongue in cheek. He was saying tying folks name to scores in the books promotes competition. Knowing whether a book animal was killed on a heavily managed private holding vs public land would be beneficial for P&Ys claim that they keep the records to help set seasons, limits, etc.

I think he said that somewhat tongue in cheek. He was saying tying folks name to scores in the books promotes competition. Knowing whether a book animal was killed on a heavily managed private holding vs public land would be beneficial for P&Ys claim that they keep the records to help set seasons, limits, etc.

Right, I get that, and understand that's what it meant.

I agree having names tied to records has little to do with data for management. Delivery I think could have been different for the point he was trying to convey.

Trying to use records of antler size is kinda silly for management purposes anyways, especially on something like whitetail. Range is so large, to say a 125 net buck from North Carolina is in anyways close to a 125 from the mid west is useless.

tam9492

WKR
Are these really causes we could address? Maybe, but if they are, I don't think they're the most bang for your buck to have better quality hunting experiences.

View attachment 549896

It seems better to fight the access issues and increase access over trying to prevent everyone from posting on social media.

Are there any organizations that focus solely on increasing public land and access? I know many have irons in the fire, like RMEF for elk access, but what about an organization whose sole focus is to purchase and protect land for public access across the country?
It looks like the 4progeny.org in his slide is doing this, but looking into their website and their first project, it looks like the bang for the buck is not going to be there. They have all kinds of costs associated with maintenance, equipment, and management.

I think we need an org that uses its funds to create the most public land access for each dollar. One that spans across species from ducks to elk and maybe spans outside of hunting to other recreationists. Purchasing easements to unlock landlocked parcels, acquiring land when the price is right, passing legislation to protect it indefinitely, increasing hunting opportunities on existing lands, and any other strategies that increase public land use opportunities.

The part about the onX guy having 16k acres of landlocked land is pretty interesting.
Land Trust Alliance
The Conservation Fund
Trust for Public Land
The Nature Conservancy

MThuntr

WKR
I heard Matt speak in Boise at a professional meeting about rangeland seeding choice for restoration. It was all statistics but the amount of genius and chaos in his mind made it hard for me and a lot of others to comprehend. I tend to agree with him on a lot of topics so I'll have to give it a listen this evening.

The slide showing the number of big game animals certain hunting influencers killed in 2022 is insane. Some had 16-20 kills including one that had 4 elk, 2 moose, and 10 other animals. We all know those influencers aren't taking the next five or ten years off from hunting to enjoy those bounties. They need more content, not more meat.

Btaylor

WKR
He hits on some very valid issues imo but attacks them from a suppression of capitalism and free speech perspective which I just can not get behind at all. Rather than attack the symptoms, he would, imo, be better served to focus on the cause. The root of the cause is the transference of editorial control with the emergence of social media platforms and outdoor tv where the content producer also has editorial control of messaging with virtually no oversight.

The slide showing the number of big game animals certain hunting influencers killed in 2022 is insane. Some had 16-20 kills including one that had 4 elk, 2 moose, and 10 other animals. We all know those influencers aren't taking the next five or ten years off from hunting to enjoy those bounties. They need more content, not more meat.
I'm interested, do you have a link to that thread? I couldn't find it on the search.
nevermind, I thought you were talking about rokslide. found it

Last edited:
OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Right, I get that, and understand that's what it meant.

I agree having names tied to records has little to do with data for management. Delivery I think could have been different for the point he was trying to convey.

Trying to use records of antler size is kinda silly for management purposes anyways, especially on something like whitetail. Range is so large, to say a 125 net buck from North Carolina is in anyways close to a 125 from the mid west is useless.

Matt often vacillates between dry humor and sarcasm with zero change in tone, volume or facial expression. For example the very last point he made about the Hunt Warz I thought was hilarious but if you don’t know Matt (which most there didn’t) it was like, “huh?”