MATHEWS CAM BEARING ISSUES

OR Archer

WKR
Mathews will not send you anything directly. Had to go through your dealer. Contact your dealer you bought it from and give them the serial number on the bow and they can start a claim. Mathews will send a whole cam assembly to your dealer. Technically you can change them just be cautious of damaging the cam itself. Also make sure not to over tighten the axles. Snug them then take a half turn out.

Whered you order the aftermarket better bearings?
After doing a bit of research thought it might be the limb pockets needed a lube so disassembled the bow, threw some lithium grease in the limb pockets and the clicking sound didn't go away.

So then I pulled the axles again to inspect the bearings and while not seized they are definitely grinding a bit and not nearly as free as the bearings on the bottom cam.

Reassembled again and now the sound is gone but there is no doubt that the bearings on the top cam are on their way to failing.

With only 8 days before I head out for my elk hunt should I rely on the local shop, call Mathews, or try to replace them on my own?

According to this video, you can replace them with higher quality bearings which I have already ordered as a just in case.

BBob

WKR
R4EE or R4-2RS (both #'s indicate double seal, suffix is manufacturer dependent) are really common bearings. You should be able to source locally from any bearing or industrial supplier like Kaman Industrial. McMaster carries them as do many others. I would source a high quality manufacturer like SNR, NSK, MRC, SKF, NTN, etc...

If you want to go all out and splurge on likely the highest quality bearing you could try to source a Barden SR4 :)

McMaster almost never lists a manufacturer but are known to supply high quality and generally not cheap alternatives. They list Japan as the origin:

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
R4EE or R4-2RS (both #'s indicate double seal, suffix is manufacturer dependent) are really common bearings. You should be able to source locally from any bearing or industrial supplier like Kaman Industrial. McMaster carries them as do many others. I would source a high quality manufacturer like SNR, NSK, MRC, SKF, NTN, etc...

If you want to go all out and splurge on likely the highest quality bearing you could try to source a Barden SR4 :)

McMaster almost never lists a manufacturer but are known to supply high quality and generally not cheap alternatives. They list Japan as the origin:

My Lord man!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys we found the bearing guy. Barden SR4 sheesh....

For that kind of money that bearing better let my bow slip the eartly bonds of physics and gravity and propel a 700 grain arrow on a 60 lb draw at 300 fps. IF then and ONLY then would I pay that kind of money for a bearing.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
I was into RC racing big and "super tuning " high end Japanese reels. Boca bearings is a big name high quality bearings also. From regular stuff to abec 9 ceramics w low friction seals. So glad u posted the vid, I was afraid to try n punch them out, thought they were pressed in by machine. So now I will replace my own w better bearings. So Mathews shipped a new cam to my dealer and it has a shitty feeling bearing in it from factory. Shame on Mathews 4 using Chinese shit on 1200 dollar bows.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I think im going to order some of these. What do yall bearing guys think?

gelton

WKR
I was into RC racing big and "super tuning " high end Japanese reels. Boca bearings is a big name high quality bearings also. From regular stuff to abec 9 ceramics w low friction seals. So glad u posted the vid, I was afraid to try n punch them out, thought they were pressed in by machine. So now I will replace my own w better bearings. So Mathews shipped a new cam to my dealer and it has a shitty feeling bearing in it from factory. Shame on Mathews 4 using Chinese shit on 1200 dollar bows.
It was perfect timing. That the video I posted was uploaded the night before I noticed my bearings starting to make noise while drawing.

Problem is that my bearings are set to arrive on Monday and I leave on Wed for my hunt so I will most likely wait until I return before installing them. So not so perfect timing on that part.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
I think im going to order some of these. What do yall bearing guys think?

Yea, these are what I will most likely get. Haven't been on Bocas site in cpl yrs but from reading the link quick, yes this is the way to go.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. You take your experience with one Mathews over a couple months. I’ll stick with my decade plus and thousand plus Mathews experience “bro”.
Don't b butthurt, we all put our foot in our mouth once and awhile. U learn n it builds character. 👍

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
That at me?

I'm laughing cause I know what he is talking about.

It's never user error.

There's a flaw in the system, it's cause end user will torque the chit out of any bolt, that makes it better right??

Are you trying to tell me that its MY fault that I have broken 2 t6 torx handles tighting up the screw on my iron wills. NAH it aint my fault BRO. TIGHTER IS BETTER.