Mark V Backcountry 2.0 Ti

Which caliber for a lightweight rifle would you prefer?

• Total voters

truehaun

FNG
Want to get a lightweight rifle and looking at the Mark V backcountry 2.0 Ti. Anybody else on here got one? .308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor? I have a 30-06 and 300 win mag I could use for elk. This will be for mainly for deer and potentially elk although I hear 6.5 is a little light for elk. 500 yards would be prob be my maximum shot I’d take. Any opinions on the gun and choice between 6.5 and .308. Possibly interested in 6.5 Weatherby RPM or .280 AI but since I already have elk guns the main thing I’m looking for is low recoil and enough for deer or potentially elk at a limited range. Factory Ammo cost .308 and 6.5 prob a lot cheaper than the other two.

LightFoot

WKR
Going with a 6.5 creedmoor or .308 Win, there are other lightweight options that will be just as good for less money. Kimber will be the lighter option; Tikka for the short bolt.

I think Weatherby knocked it out of the park with their backcountry 2.0 in the 6.5 Wby RPM and the new 338 Wby RPM.

Wby has ammo available on their site for both, last I checked. The 6.5 RPM would be perfect for Antelope to Mule Deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Want to get a lightweight rifle and looking at the Mark V backcountry 2.0 Ti. Anybody else on here got one? .308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor? I have a 30-06 and 300 win mag I could use for elk. This will be for mainly for deer and potentially elk although I hear 6.5 is a little light for elk. 500 yards would be prob be my maximum shot I’d take. Any opinions on the gun and choice between 6.5 and .308. Possibly interested in 6.5 Weatherby RPM or .280 AI but since I already have elk guns the main thing I’m looking for is low recoil and enough for deer or potentially elk at a limited range. Factory Ammo cost .308 and 6.5 prob a lot cheaper than the other two.
I voted 280 AI because I just bought a ridgeline fft in that. Any of those listed would work just fine on deer and elk out to 600, including the creedmoor. The rmp and ackley are both long actions, so will likely weigh a few more ounces than the short action cartridges.

I changed my vote after rereading your post, I think the creed would be perfect for your niche

BjornF16

WKR
I've had 6.5 RPM in original Backcountry as well as 280AI in Backcountry 2.0.

They were both stupid light...the Ti version being even lighter.

I voted 6.5 CM being you stated primarily for deer. The CM is plenty for elk as well.

I found that for long range, the Backcountry was a little too light for 280AI. I've moved to slightly heavier setup.

If Weatherby offered the Backcountry in 22CM or .223, I'd vote for those.

letrbuck

WKR
I have the 1.0 in 280 and I haven't touched any of my other rifles since. Has shot everything I've fed it well under 1 moa and killed elk and probghorn out to almost 500yds

OP
T

truehaun

FNG
I've had 6.5 RPM in original Backcountry as well as 280AI in Backcountry 2.0.

They were both stupid light...the Ti version being even lighter.

I voted 6.5 CM being you stated primarily for deer. The CM is plenty for elk as well.

I found that for long range, the Backcountry was a little too light for 280AI. I've moved to slightly heavier setup.

If Weatherby offered the Backcountry in 22CM or .223, I'd vote for those.
That’s what I was wondering about the recoil of 6.5cm vs the others in that light gun. Think I might get the backcountry ti in 6.5 cm and the 280 ai might make more sense in something like the mark v hunter.

OP
T

truehaun

FNG
I have the 1.0 in 280 and I haven't touched any of my other rifles since. Has shot everything I've fed it well under 1 moa and killed elk and probghorn out to almost 500yds
How’s the recoil?

What did you vote for first and why did you change it? I think I’m down to 6.5 creed or .280 AI.
I liked the .280 initially until I understood the actual niche trying to be filled. Seriously cannot go wrong, but for deer and occasional elk, I would personally get the creed, I have seen a fair amount of roosies killed with a creed without drama, I wouldn’t hesitate taking the creed on any elk or moose hunt myself, and they are so pleasant to shoot

wyosteve

WKR
I've got a 2.0 ti in 6.5 rpm. Just got the scope mounted and haven't had the chance to take it to the range yet so can't give a report. My intent is to shoot without the brake initially to see how it does. Yes, ammo is easy to find in the rpm, but can be a bit higher than other calibers.

Afhunter1

WKR
I’ve looked at a lot of these models and in my opinion the best bang for your buck is in the standard caliber sizes such as the 280ai. Hard to find a fault with that rifle & cart combination. About as close to the perfect mtn rifle but I prefer the steel receiver and barrel to the ti and carbon.

I just purchased a Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 in .308 Winchester with the steel receive….. It is really light weight, maybe to light….. I am glad I went with the steel receiver vs the titanium receiver…. The extra weight savings just does not justify the added cost of the titanium in my opinion……

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Really wish they did the 280AI with the carbon barrel. As mentioned, probably worth the extra weight in the woods to have the SS action.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Weatherby is doing some great things at their new facility in Wyoming, a good company worthy of support. Good luck on your decision, lots of good choices. The 308 is a personal favorite, capable to 500 yards plus with plenty of bullet weight to get it done at distance.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord