Marine tex dye

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve used marine Tex for bedding compound before, but on black stocks. Got a brown one to do. Is it possible to get white and dye it brown? If yes, with what?

Wapiti1

WKR
No. Well, yes, but no. Marine Tex white has a much lower compressive strength than grey, and IMO, isn't suitable for bedding. It's intended to be flexible after curing for fiberglass repair applications. Grey is for machine repair and is much harder, but also more brittle.

That said, it will probably work fine for a low recoil job like a 30-06. Yes, it can be tinted with resin pigment. I do that often for fiberglass repairs that need to reasonably color match gel coat.

Jeremy

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
No. Well, yes, but no. Marine Tex white has a much lower compressive strength than grey, and IMO, isn't suitable for bedding. It's intended to be flexible after curing for fiberglass repair applications. Grey is for machine repair and is much harder, but also more brittle.

That said, it will probably work fine for a low recoil job like a 30-06. Yes, it can be tinted with resin pigment. I do that often for fiberglass repairs that need to reasonably color match gel coat.

Jeremy
Oh crap. I’ve used the white on my boat for years, didn’t realize there was a difference between it and grey. Thanks for that.

Wonder if I can make the grey brownish?

yfarm

WKR
Any paint store can provide a small amount of pigment, I have used paint in the past to tint marine tex without issue. Get some paint chips at the store to match the end color you want. Have done the same ting with marine gelcoat.

Macintosh

WKR
Easy enough to try. I’ve used the brown brownells acraglass dye with other bedding compounds before with good results. That stuff was lighter colored, but it ought to work reasonably at least. Id try a small amount first to make sure it doesnt affect the cure though.

You could always use the grey and then just give it a shot of Krylon in brown to match the stock.