March FX 4.5-28x FFP Field Eval Q&A

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Probably get blasted for asking but is the glass in the March considerably better than the NX8 if they both pass function testing? I want a scope to be reliable but I also want best glass available in a reliable scope. ZP5?

SDHNTR

WKR
Probably get blasted for asking but is the glass in the March considerably better than the NX8 if they both pass function testing? I want a scope to be reliable but I also want best glass available in a reliable scope. ZP5?
That’s a subjective thing. For me no. But my problem wasn’t exactly glass on the March, I just couldn’t get the reticle clear for my eyesight. That’s no a knock on March, it just wouldn’t work for my eye. I do not have that problem with any Nightforce I’ve used.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
For me, Minox > March FX > ATACR > NF NX8. They are all more than good enough - the glass won't be the reason you miss a shot.

Marshfly

WKR
That’s a subjective thing. For me no. But my problem wasn’t exactly glass on the March, I just couldn’t get the reticle clear for my eyesight. That’s no a knock on March, it just wouldn’t work for my eye. I do not have that problem with any Nightforce I’ve used.

Sounds like the same issue Form had.

March was on my short list last year. Glad I saved some cash and went Tenmile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
He reported trouble focusing the entire objective in the test. I could see that getting dismissed as an eye issue.

I’ll have to go read it again. I didn’t notice him mentioning that. Try as I might, I could not adjust the ocular to get the reticle clear. No combo of ocular and/or parallax adjustment would clear it up. It would show up as two lines, like I had double vision. I assumed it was just me. I’ve never had that trouble with any other scope.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
OK, I see it now. I didn’t realize form had updated this evaluation recently. Yes, sounds like a similar issue. Mine went back to March, which is a giant pain in the ass shipping to Japan, and they got me more diopter adjustment range. That helped, but it still didn’t fix the problem. And I did sometimes also see POI change vertically by a minimal amount, similar to what form experienced. I attributed that to being unable to get the reticle clear and the two horizontal lines that would appear as the reticle distorted. Especially after a few seconds of eye fatigue.

Marshfly

WKR
Interesting. So that’s 2 of 2 samples with similar issues.

And people in other groups think you are crazy when you make the statement that most scopes simply don’t work.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
OK, I see it now. I didn’t realize form had updated this evaluation recently. Yes, sounds like a similar issue. Mine went back to March, which is a giant pain in the ass shipping to Japan, and they got me more diopter adjustment range. That helped, but it still didn’t fix the problem. And I did sometimes also see POI change vertically by a minimal amount, similar to what form experienced. I attributed that to being unable to get the reticle clear and the two horizontal lines that would appear as the reticle distorted. Especially after a few seconds of eye fatigue.

Mine is not a fuzzy or double reticle issue. The reticle can get sharp without problem- it’s getting both the target and the reticle in focus at the same time that is the problem. Im any case, it is not pleasing to look through.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Interesting. So that’s 2 of 2 samples with similar issues.

And people in other groups think you are crazy when you make the statement that most scopes simply don’t work.

I magically get all the “alpha” scopes that have problems.

SDHNTR

WKR
Mine is not a fuzzy or double reticle issue. The reticle can get sharp without problem- it’s getting both the target and the reticle in focus at the same time that is the problem. Im any case, it is not pleasing to look through.
Except for a split second the instant I look through the scope, I can’t ever get the reticle perfectly clear. And getting it somewhat clear, combined with the image cleaned up simultaneously, sometimes takes some doing. It’s tolerable at the range. It’s not in the field.

I will be offering someone deeply discounted scope soon.

Except for a split second the instant I look through the scope, I can’t ever get the reticle perfectly clear. And getting it somewhat clear, combined with the image cleaned up simultaneously, sometimes takes some doing. It’s tolerable at the range. It’s not in the field.

Go on….😂

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The image/usability issues have been a constant with March since the beginning. At least with their “field” scopes.

SDHNTR

WKR
The image/usability issues have been a constant with March since the beginning. At least with their “field” scopes.
Frustrating. Was my failed attempt a couple years ago at seeking out the unattainable combo of “alpha” glass, impact tested durability (which March does do on some level), and lighter weight. I’ve since resigned myself to the reality that such a scope doesn’t exist. Somethings gotta give. Lesson learned.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Frustrating. Was my failed attempt a couple years ago at seeking out the unattainable combo of “alpha” glass, impact tested durability (which March does do on some level), and lighter weight. I’ve since resigned myself to the reality that such a scope doesn’t exist. Somethings gotta give. Lesson learned.

Haha. I believe March could make the best scope on earth…. If they would make it with a 4x erector.