Managing stress/anxiety around a LE Elk tag

Phaseolus

WKR
Thanks for your comments.

I think this is what is bothering me so much about feeling this way right now. I am generally a very laid back and patient person. I have hunted elk for 20 years in Colorado. It took me 7 years to kill a bull (got a couple cows before this) but I learned a lot in those years to become very consistent the past 13 seasons. I have called elk in both solo and for others. I am no @ElkNut but do a decent job. I have hunted OTC for the past 10 years but felt little stress because expectations are low and I know the units very well now.

I am hunting this tag solo but I have also hunted that way several seasons. Already have a couple guys from here that I have contact info that will be hunting same time in case something comes up.
If you get one down and need help packing it out, or just get in a pickle, give me a call, I’m 1.5 hours away. You’ve got my number.

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I understand the feeling as well. Back in 2013 I drew my first big tag. A LE elk tag in UT. The tag took 15 years, had done lots of scouting and found a few big bulls that I lost track of 2 days before the season started. I was ready to turn my tag back in the anxiety seemed so bad. These tags are so hard to get we put too much pressure on ourselves. Hunting is hunting, no guarantees. Even when it comes to these trophy tags. Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. Go out and enjoy the opportunity!

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
If you have time before your hunt go out and hunt something simple-rabbits, squirrels, whatever. Can honestly help you sharpen your skills and give you a confidence boost. I've done it before and it helped me out at least

Tell yourself "I'm only responsible for the effort I put in, not the outcome."
Then enjoy the process, enjoy the struggle, and try to focus on the moment. Worse than not killing is being done then looking back and realizing you spent it all worrying.

Firehawk

WKR
I am feeling the same way. I leave two weeks from tomorrow to set up camp and start hunting the next day for my LE elk hunt. Took me 21 years to draw. I don't feel entirely prepared either. What I have found myself stressing over now is the fact that several friends are using their personal vacation time to come along and help support me and participate in the adventure. I want it to be worth it for each of them too, but dang it! 21 freaking years and it is only 2 weeks away. Seen a few really good bulls scouting already and lots of 320 ish bulls. I have NEVER killed a mature bull elk. Killed loads of cows and a couple spikes and one little raghorn. Otherwise, I have been waiting for this opportunity to get a bull worthy of a shoulder mount for our home. I want to give it my full effort, but keep second guessing my plans of where to start opening day, how will the other tag holders effect my hunt? Will the rut be in full swing already? Will the bulls move 10 miles between now and then etc. etc. etc. The constant worry that someone else is going to get one of the bigger bulls I have been watching is getting old. Anxiety is real. I have it and have found that going for a good mountain bike ride, ATV ride, a rigorous workout, seems to really calm me down.

That said, I think having the anxiety is also part of the experience. I used to get so excited to go fishing that I couldn't sleep the night before. Hunting----well that was usually several days before I would be packed and then pack again etc etc. This time, I am trying to be more systematic about my preparation. I hope it pays off, but ultimately, I am so excited and anxious.

Good luck on your hunts fellow hunters.
FH

OP
B

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
I am feeling the same way. I leave two weeks from tomorrow to set up camp and start hunting the next day for my LE elk hunt. Took me 21 years to draw. I don't feel entirely prepared either. What I have found myself stressing over now is the fact that several friends are using their personal vacation time to come along and help support me and participate in the adventure. I want it to be worth it for each of them too, but dang it! 21 freaking years and it is only 2 weeks away. Seen a few really good bulls scouting already and lots of 320 ish bulls. I have NEVER killed a mature bull elk. Killed loads of cows and a couple spikes and one little raghorn. Otherwise, I have been waiting for this opportunity to get a bull worthy of a shoulder mount for our home. I want to give it my full effort, but keep second guessing my plans of where to start opening day, how will the other tag holders effect my hunt? Will the rut be in full swing already? Will the bulls move 10 miles between now and then etc. etc. etc. The constant worry that someone else is going to get one of the bigger bulls I have been watching is getting old. Anxiety is real. I have it and have found that going for a good mountain bike ride, ATV ride, a rigorous workout, seems to really calm me down.

That said, I think having the anxiety is also part of the experience. I used to get so excited to go fishing that I couldn't sleep the night before. Hunting----well that was usually several days before I would be packed and then pack again etc etc. This time, I am trying to be more systematic about my preparation. I hope it pays off, but ultimately, I am so excited and anxious.

Good luck on your hunts fellow hunters.
FH
Thanks for sharing! I feel some of the same things.

I am using this weekend to do my final packing and prep. Truck goes in on Monday for a full service. Pack coolers around lunchtime on Tuesday and hit the road. That will get me into the area around dark to set up camp. Will give me all day Wednesday to to decide where I start on Thursday.

Stick with your plans and trust the work you have put in. Sounds like you are on top of it. Your friends want to be there to share the experience. Whatever that may be it will be an experience for sure.

Take care.

For what it's worth, I have an anxiety disorder that I am medicated for and talk to a professional about once every two weeks. I get the jitters thinking about how I'm going to make it to the grocery store and all the things that could go wrong along the way.

Hunting has become my way to deal with my demons head on. I want to be out there, I want to be successful, so I put myself in situations that are extremely uncomfortable for me. After archery season is over, I feel at peace regardless if I punched a tag or not because I fought with and conquered my greatest enemy, my mind.

My free advice (careful, you get what you pay for) is that you seem prepared and have probably done everything in your power to make this hunt be successful. There are things you cannot control that will happen, but you have the tools to work through those. In short, you'll be fine. You got this. When that monster bull steps out, remember to follow the same steps you've done all summer practicing and that arrow will fly true.

Good luck, but with two decades of experience, you probably won't need it.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Tell me about it. I'm two weeks away from my bighorn ram hunt, once in a lifetime. It's been a crazy summer - I wasn't in great shape after Covid, got laid off and started a new job, very busy life as a single dad, all the while stressing about how I didn't have enough time to prepare or get in shape for this hunt.

I decided a month ago to stop worrying about it and focus on the adventure. If I don't kill one I'll live, but I'll leave it all on the mountain trying. A lot of people will never draw a sheep tag so I need to be grateful for the opportunity.
What state?

Anxiety? This isn’t going over the side of the boat on “D-Day” it’s hunting.

ive never felt a “pressure” with a draw tag. I’ve had tags I thought I could do better on, and didn’t, but oh well.

20 years in CO I’ve drawn 2 bighorn tags, bull moose, 2 mountain goats, and I’m super heavy on goat points again. Best tag I ever had was sheep, only tag in the unit. Talk about relax, and enjoy it for what it was. Arrowed a booner. Best hunt of my life even if I would have “blanked”

Enjoy the tag for what it is, not for what it “could be”

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado, Unit S4
I'll be in S21 helping a guy. Good luck. Just enjoy it. I've had an AZ sheep tag. The stress I felt was because of all guys helping me on their free time and I didn't want to disappoint them. Just have fun and remember its your hunt!!

Never felt this. But also never had buck fever. Just remember it's a hunt, not a harvest. Do your part and let the cards fall.

Anxiety? Hard treadmill for an hour or more every day. That shit most likely will melt away.