Mammut Taiss Mid Gtx

grainhog

FNG
Anybody tried these?

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
I have like 80 miles in mine. One of my feet is high volume so the one side wrap tongue doesn’t seal too well, but I’ve had them on in snow, marshes and creeks and only ever got wet over the top. My 12.5s (should’ve got 13s) are 712 grams.

They’re crazy light, very stiff and have a very nice factory insole. I’d order your EU size from other brands. They only take semi auto crampons if that matters to you. The outsole being very hard, and hard wearing, means traction on wet rock will suck, but wet rock traction is always terrible.

Mine have worn very bomber. Multiple hits to the upper from decomposed, jagged granite hasn’t worn them much. The soles are in great shape given the load and distance.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again. Pics are from last time I wore them. I’d wear them more if A) I got the right size, and B) if I didn’t have an impulse problem regarding boot buying.
IMG_4653.jpegIMG_4661.jpeg

b2one

WKR
I have a pair as well. They fit a wide foot better than a La Sportiva, more like a Scarpa, and they are crazy light! No complaints at this point...

kad11

WKR
Anybody tried these?

I have a lightly used pair in the classifieds size 46 if you're interested- they're super light, supportive and comfortable.

Benjblt

WKR
Did you size up?
I have like 80 miles in mine. One of my feet is high volume so the one side wrap tongue doesn’t seal too well, but I’ve had them on in snow, marshes and creeks and only ever got wet over the top. My 12.5s (should’ve got 13s) are 712 grams.

They’re crazy light, very stiff and have a very nice factory insole. I’d order your EU size from other brands. They only take semi auto crampons if that matters to you. The outsole being very hard, and hard wearing, means traction on wet rock will suck, but wet rock traction is always terrible.

Mine have worn very bomber. Multiple hits to the upper from decomposed, jagged granite hasn’t worn them much. The soles are in great shape given the load and distance.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again. Pics are from last time I wore them. I’d wear them more if A) I got the right size, and B) if I didn’t have an impulse problem regarding boot buying.
View attachment 638747View attachment 638746

I have a pair as well. They fit a wide foot better than a La Sportiva, more like a Scarpa, and they are crazy light! No complaints at this point...

b2one

WKR
I wear a 45.5 in both scarpa and Mammut - I have 3 Scarpa shoes / boots and 2 mammut including these. If you already have a boot that compares, I would keep the same size.

Benjblt

WKR
I wear a 45.5 in both scarpa and Mammut - I have 3 Scarpa shoes / boots and 2 mammut including these. If you already have a boot that compares, I would keep the same size.
I meant do you size up from your "Nike" US sizing?

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Stocky

FNG
I know an old thread but figured I'd add some info. I've worn out the upper (peeled/chipped rand torn in the fake leather portion, hole in the soft squishy material in the side) on 1 pair in 12 months of NZ south island hunting (probably about 100 odd days) but by about the 4th trip they definitely weren't waterproof. Brought a second pair in August last year and somewhere in 22 days scouting Colorado mule deer in August and September then 2 days hunting and packing Mule deer I found they where no longer waterproof when helping out my second cousin on a Bighorn hunt down near Silverton. They are still alive but showing the same signs of the upper going as the last set. For similar boots i had good luck with the Scarpa Ribelle (the inside heel wears out but i preemptively sew in some leather) and will buy a set of the La Sportiva Aequilibrium LTs for a crampon boot and maybe try play with some less stiff options.

Macintosh

WKR
@Stocky For what its worth, mammut, scarpa, la sportiva, etc all buy the exact same gtx liners from the same company—the waterproof part of these boots is literally the same part purchased from WL gore, off the same production and even from the same production batches. There may be construction differences in assembly that cause one boot to wear differently than another company’s or model of boot from internal abrasion, which can also be related to fit differences from person to person, but the tech and the part itself is literally the same. If you experience one boot like that losing waterproofing well before another, its either a faulty construction (a cut or puncture in the liner not caught in qc, a weird fold that caused premature wear inside the boot, etc) or its a peculiarity of the way the boot fits you that is causing an abnormal flex-point inside the boot that is wearing out the waterproof liner.

I’ve had a dozen or more pairs of mammut mountaineering and other types of boots (I used to work for Mammut), the fit tends to be pretty spot-on with a couple foot-shape caveats: 1) if you have a particularly longer big toe or second toe compared to the rest of your toes, you may need to go up half a size to get the length you need. This is me. 2) the mammut lasts for technical boots in particular are a little more curved than some others—so if you are wearing your boots looking down on them from above, the last curves in from the outside edge of the foot, toward the big toe, more than others. If you have a foot shape that isnt well suited to this last, this will manifest as feeling like it is too tight on the outside side of your foot behind your little toe, or feeling like it is a sloppy/loose fit on the inside of your foot and big toe, or both of those things. Some people end up going to a larger size because of this, but its much more of a last-shape vs foot shape issue, than it is a size issue, and adjusting size as a result of this may cause other problems (see above comment about weird folds or flex points in boot causing premature wear, etc).

Comment above about rubber hardness and resulting grip on rock (wet especially, but also dry rock) is spot-on as well.

Last edited:

Stocky

FNG
@Stocky For what its worth, mammut, scarpa, la sportiva, etc all buy the exact same gtx liners from the same company—the waterproof part of these boots is literally the same part purchased from WL gore, off the same production and even from the same production batches. There may be construction differences in assembly that cause one boot to wear differently than another company’s or model of boot from internal abrasion, which can also be related to fit differences from person to person, but the tech and the part itself is literally the same. If you experience one boot like that losing waterproofing well before another, its either a faulty construction (a cut or puncture in the liner not caught in qc, a weird fold that caused premature wear inside the boot, etc) or its a peculiarity of the way the boot fits you that is causing an abnormal flex-point inside the boot that is wearing out the waterproof liner.

I’ve had a dozen or more pairs of mammut mountaineering and other types of boots (I used to work for Mammut), the fit tends to be pretty spot-on with a couple foot-shape caveats: 1) if you have a particularly longer big toe or second toe compared to the rest of your toes, you may need to go up half a size to get the length you need. This is me. 2) the mammut lasts for technical boots in particular are a little more curved than some others—so if you are wearing your boots looking down on them from above, the last curves in from the outside edge of the foot, toward the big toe, more than others. If you have a foot shape that isnt well suited to this last, this will manifest as feeling like it is too tight on the outside side of your foot behind your little toe, or feeling like it is a sloppy/loose fit on the inside of your foot and big toe, or both of those things. Some people end up going to a larger size because of this, but its much more of a last-shape vs foot shape issue, than it is a size issue, and adjusting size as a result of this may cause other problems (see above comment about weird folds or flex points in boot causing premature wear, etc).

Comment above about rubber hardness and resulting grip on rock (wet especially, but also dry rock) is spot-on as well.
I don't doubt it but having worn out 3 sets of Scarpa Ribelles (both waterproof and inside liner), and 2 sets of Mammut Taiss lights (waterproofing on both and upper on one pair). It was consistent. No doubt it's the same tech but application of it matters it how its attached etc as well as the material around it. I'd hazard a guess that leather being naturally more waterproof/easier to maintain an external waterproof coating maybe means the leaks aren't noticed as soon. Aren't the Solomon X Ultra GTx lining the same but they are hardly waterproof on day one.

In terms of actual durability of holding together they outdid the Scarpas significantly as the ribelles wear out internally in the heel area and expose the plastic heel cup (3 times on my personal boots, 1x on my partners, and 2 times on a friend's sets). The external visual wear on the mammuts isn't really an issue but this internal wear on the ribelles leads to a sharp plastic portion cutting heels to shreds in under a mile.

I found the taiss light exceptionally comfortable and still have my less worn out set I use most of the time it's dry to keep my main set in decent nick. I've never had any sort of blisters in them. In the US where alot of your moisture is frozen during hunting seasons it'd not worry about it but here in NZ our winters are wet more than cold and it's been observable in 2 sets of them now as I hoped the first time was a fluke. Getting wet feet then having temps drop below freezing I have found significantly more uncomfortable than temps in the negatives.

I will be trying the Lowa Alpine SLs and LA Sportiva Aequilibriums next.

For sizing references I wore a 45.5 Scarpa and a 46 Mammut Taiss Light.

Macintosh

WKR
Yep, they are exceptionally light mountaineering boots, not hunting boots. Sounds like you are wearing through everything similar, relatively similarly. That sounds to me like this entire category of footwear isnt approprate for how you are using them, at least not if you want them to last longer than they are. From a distance, hearing what you are saying, I’ll be surprised if any brand of similarly ultralight mountaineering boot lasts much differently for you.

Salomon doesnt make a similar boot, its likely their liner is a different model. Gore has different liners for running and hiking shoes than youd get in a light mountaineering boot, and still others with insulation for heavier boots. Those salomons are definitely not mountaineering boots, so Id be surprised if they didnt use one of the lighter versions made for running shoes and light hikers.

Stocky

FNG
Have you been to NZ? A bare minimum we start a hunt with is 2500 feet of gain to head straight into the alpine. From about June to August there's a good chance I'm carrying crampons (semis not microspikes) and an ice axe. Our issue is year round use and tough country. When you can hit the alpine hunting 365 days a year you put more use on them. A traditional full rand leather boot will do me a year but I don't want a heavy boot especially through summer.

Absolutely the XUltra isn't a mountaineering boot. It's only ever suitable when I don't care about dry at all and in summer when I can strip my gear to a bare minimum and even then I'm not a huge fan other than cost. The la sportiva Tx5 has been a better option but its not perfect either but its waterproofing lasts longer than my too sets of Taiss Lights. Not saying they are bad boots but the waterproofing in my experience for some reason or another has not lasted. For lower 48 use I dont see it being an issue.

I've not found a perfect boot yet and i clearly liked them enough to buy a second set but Im still on the search for the "perfect" lightweight mountaineering boot.

Macintosh

WKR
Nope, havent been to NZ, but I think we're agreeing more than disagreeing—based on your use clearly being harder than most, I suggested that if you want your boots to last longer, an ultralight boot like that is probably not going to do that regardless of who makes it. If you want the ultralights you may just have to settle for varying shades of “disposable boots”. Pick one, durable or light—it likely isnt possible to have both, at least not to a high degree. Thats all. I was a climbing guide and used to put miles like that on my gear, and have worked with a pile of other guides since—a pair of heavier mountaineering boots per year sounds about right. NO ONE who puts that kind of wear and tear on lightweight equipment expects it to last long.