Making a stove/tent combo work for all seasons?

in order to use just one tent for all hunting seasons, I was looking at the seek Cimarron and stove combo. The tent itself seems like a good lightweight tent. For those that use tipi style tents with no floor/netting… what are the cons in the earlier season? I haven’t hunted out west in September yet, is it buggy in the early season? Any other concerns with this idea?

Poser

WKR
In CO, we only get one mosquito cycle in the high country and that’s usually in late May/June. After that, mosquitoes aren’t an issue.

If you’re coming out in Sept, unlikely that you’ll need a nest.

OP
T
Inner nest.
I know the nest is available, but it adds a ton of weight. If I was going to get that tent the weight advantage over other enclosed tents is only without a nest… that’s why I want to know, because if I’m going to go with the nest option I’ll just get a UL backpacking tent

OP
T
A ton is 2000 pounds... ;)
Fair enough, trying to save the ~3lbs though

Would it be better to just bite the bullet and have a dedicated tent for early season and a separate rifle/late season tent?

*zap*

WKR
if you want just one hot tent for all seasons as you said in your first post I think you would want a nest...no matter if it weighs 3#. A normal tent with a floor will not accommodate a stove, usually. I use a floorless all seasons without a nest but they have screens and can be tight to the ground, still had a snake come in thou. If there is only ne person a half nest is under 3# and if there are two people the load can be split...personally I would get a 4 man with screens and a half nest but I like to be able to stand up even thou that stand area is small.

OP
T
Sounds like I’m better off going with two separate tents then I guess. Cimarron is 3 lbs and change, then 3 lbs for nest. So they would be a 6 lb tent when I could be around 2.5 for a UL backpacking tent that is enclosed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In CO, we only get one mosquito cycle in the high country and that’s usually in late May/June. After that, mosquitoes aren’t an issue.
I've experienced swarming mosquitos many times in the high country in July through August. In 2014 I was checking out some new areas the 3rd week of Aug mostly above timberline, and tried to set up my tent. I got 2 min into it and finally had to throw everything back in my pack and head out because they were so bad. But generally from September on they're not much of an issue, unless you're camping next to water. I've had a few inside my wall tent even in mid to late October rifle hunts.

schur7559

FNG
I used a Cimarron during a hunt the first week of September last year in Colorado. I had absolutely no issues with bugs. The only slight problem I encountered was the relatively large footprint and finding a place to pitch it at times.

I know the nest is available, but it adds a ton of weight. If I was going to get that tent the weight advantage over other enclosed tents is only without a nest… that’s why I want to know, because if I’m going to go with the nest option I’ll just get a UL backpacking tent

Have you really thought about this? A half nest weighs less than a stove (26 oz). If you're willing to carry a stove when needed, no reason to avoid a nest when necessary.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
Sounds like I’m better off going with two separate tents then I guess. Cimarron is 3 lbs and change, then 3 lbs for nest. So they would be a 6 lb tent when I could be around 2.5 for a UL backpacking tent that is enclosed.
you got it all figured out....good luck.

OP
T
Have you really thought about this? A half nest weighs less than a stove (26 oz). If you're willing to carry a stove when needed, no reason to avoid a nest when necessary.
I wasn’t aware there was a half nest? I’m not disagreeing about the weight, just thinking about the 3 lbs for the tent, another 3 for the nest (and the space in pack) when compared to like a big Agnes copper spur platinum at 2.5 lbs. when I carry the tent and stove id always be hunting with a second person, so we’d split the load but also different shaped load for the stove as it basically folds up flat in the pack.

Also that nest is 300 bucks, I can basically have the whole UL tent for that price and do like I’m thinking with the two different setups.

You don't need to use the SO nest. You could use a light bug net.

I wasn’t aware there was a half nest? I’m not disagreeing about the weight, just thinking about the 3 lbs for the tent, another 3 for the nest (and the space in pack) when compared to like a big Agnes copper spur platinum at 2.5 lbs. when I carry the tent and stove id always be hunting with a second person, so we’d split the load but also different shaped load for the stove as it basically folds up flat in the pack.

Also that nest is 300 bucks, I can basically have the whole UL tent for that price and do like I’m thinking with the two different setups.

Yeah, the half nest is $185/26oz. And you could also use a much lighter aftermarket bug net.

But it sounds like you are adding a second person for winter, which changes your original equation.

Solo I run the Copper Spur 2P or Durston X-MID 2P all season and a Redcliff if I am hunting with a buddy and want a stove in winter.

Last edited:
OP
T
Yeah, the half nest is $185/26oz. And you could also use a much lighter aftermarket bug net.

But it sounds like you are adding a second person for winter, which changes your original equation.

Solo I run the Copper Spur 2P or Durston X-MID 2P all season and a Redcliff if I am hunting with a buddy and want a stove in winter.
Yeah it will be a second person in winter. That’s what I was gonna go with the copper spur 2P and then figure out a tent/stove combo separate from that

CORam

FNG
You might check out Hilleberg yellow label and red label tents. You can run them as just the fly really easily if you're going UL. Then put the inner tent in place when needed for bugs or extreme cold. This would not work with a stove, so it may be totally out of line with your plan, but I figured I'd throw it out there.