Maine moose deadline

GuideGun

FNG
This will be my 13th year applying as a resident. Absolutely maddening. The state has done a poor job in the last few years managing the herd, in my opinion. I spend a lot of time in the fall grouse hunting up in zones 1,2,4, and 5 which is the heart of moose country. The numbers are simply not even close to what they were even 5 years ago. The quality of the bulls has also declined in my opinion. A lot of factors at play, but the amount of tags being issued needs to be looked at.

Trial153

WKR
Climate change in NE and insane tick load that is came from it will keep NE moose in permanent decline.

I am in for Maine. Think my first app for moose was 2001, had decent shot until they changed the point system now I might as burn the money as least I will get some heat from it

OP
B

Buck300

Lil-Rokslider
Now that non residents are down to 8% of the draw. It's going to be really hard to draw. A friend of mine has been putting in for 42 years as a non resident, still nothing. Two years ago another buddy of mine got drawn after 29 years. It's a crap shoot for sure.

Reactions: Zim
OP
B

Buck300

Lil-Rokslider
I drew as a NR on like my 4th year of applying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! What zone? bull or cow?

My buddy is now on 43 years with out drawing as NR

Zim

FNG
Now that non residents are down to 8% of the draw. It's going to be really hard to draw. A friend of mine has been putting in for 42 years as a non resident, still nothing. Two years ago another buddy of mine got drawn after 29 years. It's a crap shoot for sure.

No luck with max NR points yesterday. Got a full plate of Western tags this year anyway. With a foot in the door no doubt the outfitters will be demanding more spoon fed welfare soon. Saw my tag is for sale now for $18,000. Playin with house money since drawing NH bull tag in 2012 & scoring a giant. No room in house for a 2nd. Outfitters can never take away my 1st.

Last edited:
I drew a nr zone 2 tag in Maine. Took me 17 years to get it. I booked with blackwater outfitters as I am over 1300 miles away. What can anyone tell me about zone 2.

@Bowhunter2 you are in great hands with Blackwater. Zone 2 is a good zone (I have guided a bunch of hunts there), just be patient especially if the rut isn't peaking during your week. Be ready to walk a lot and wear rubber boots and good rain gear.

striped1

FNG
I have been a resident, a non-resident, a resident and now a non-resident again - been applying 33 years without a tag. Hopefully someday soon.

Reactions: Zim
@striped1 how many bonus points have you accumulated? That number is in the confirmation email from IF&W. I know of folks who either missed applying a couple years (and lost accumulated points) or the State screwed up their total. With 33 years (50+ points), your odds of being drawn are WAY better than not.

striped1

FNG
@striped1 how many bonus points have you accumulated? That number is in the confirmation email from IF&W. I know of folks who either missed applying a couple years (and lost accumulated points) or the State screwed up their total. With 33 years (50+ points), your odds of being drawn are WAY better than not.

do you buy extra chances beyond the 120? The unfortunate reality is that, as a non-resident you can be outdrawn by folks who ante up and buy extra chances. A first year applicant can fork over $660 and get 120 chances

Thanks JAYCROOKER for the infro. I had 50 bonus points and brought 10. Do you fill rubber boots are a must. I have not found a pair that is comfortable enough for a lot of walking . I have a couple good pair of waterproof boots if they will work.