Main elk food source in September at 10-12k feet elevation

I’m going out in September for OTC archery in Colorado. I understand elk eat grasses and forbs but what does that mean at timber line high elevation? Should I be looking for open areas with grass along timber? I’m aware I’ll be in some steep country but have not stepped foot in the area yet just e scouting. I’m mainly wanting to know what food source I should be looking for, plenty of water around. I’m planning to head up there at least 2 separate weekends to camp and burn some rubber scouting. I have lots of other areas for backup places with lower elevations around 8-10k. I’ll be staying mobile unless I find elk and then I may bivy in. I can expand more on area in private messages, would rather not drop a google search spot to share with 500 friends.

They eat grass when/where they can do it safely. Get behind some glass and find out what they’re doing in your area, but be prepared for habits to change a bit when the bulls start rounding up the ladies. Sounds like you’re already on the right path by scouting multiple times.

Kurts86

WKR
Just above treeline and avalanche chutes come to mind as the most classic examples but they absolutely suck to hunt on physically difficulty alone.

High elevation meadows along creeks are common but see a lot more hiking and hunting pressure because that’s where the trails and horse camps are setup. If you scout the preseason it’s likely you will see them there but they will be pushed out during daylight hours once hunting season starts.

It’s not unusual for the elk to move a few miles to feed that time of year. I’ve seen more open aspen stands that have adequate grass to sustain elk.

It really depends on the unit, some units are nearly solid forest from timberline to ag pivots in the valleys but others have more dispersed openings at all elevations.

Poser

WKR
What they eat will require some sun exposure. You will come across extended sections of timber that tend to offer no food that elk eat and you'll notice the lack of sign in these areas. Pay attention to the vegetation in the areas where you aren't seeing any sign of elk having been feeding as the observations you make will tend to apply to the entire area you are hunting.

From there, you will notice that areas with an abundance of foods and correlating sign of feeding will fall into 3 categories:

1. Concentrated and regular feeding: both older and fresher sign with sign everywhere.
2. Seasonal feeding: maybe they feed here in the late spring/early summer calving season, but abandon the immediate area once recreational and hunting pressure become a factor, despite there being ample feeding still available.
3. Ample food, but little to no sign of feeding due to pressure, both recreational and hunting. This is the one that can often be the most difficult to accept, but elk will often completely ignore heavily trafficked areas despite being prime habitat.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Stop escouting and get up there. There is zero replacement for spending time in their habitat watching them and learning. Scouting during the hunting season as a new hunter (or any level hunter really) has an extremely high failure rate. Even spending a day up there or a day and half, as many times as you can before season, is way better than being on the internet for hours. Some good starting point advice in here already, now get out there!

OP
SilentPursuit
They eat grass when/where they can do it safely. Get behind some glass and find out what they’re doing in your area, but be prepared for habits to change a bit when the bulls start rounding up the ladies. Sounds like you’re already on the right path by scouting multiple times.
Thanks I’ll definitely be doing a lot of glassing and plan to go at least once in august for scouting.

OP
SilentPursuit
Just above treeline and avalanche chutes come to mind as the most classic examples but they absolutely suck to hunt on physically difficulty alone.

High elevation meadows along creeks are common but see a lot more hiking and hunting pressure because that’s where the trails and horse camps are setup. If you scout the preseason it’s likely you will see them there but they will be pushed out during daylight hours once hunting season starts.

It’s not unusual for the elk to move a few miles to feed that time of year. I’ve seen more open aspen stands that have adequate grass to sustain elk.

It really depends on the unit, some units are nearly solid forest from timberline to ag pivots in the valleys but others have more dispersed openings at all elevations.
I’ll be in a unit that has burned in the past but I have found areas that didn’t burn with old growth in them. As far as I can tell not much for farms and pivots but I’ll know more once I get in the area a few times. Definitely going to be some tuff hunting with the avalanche chutes and the deadfall, partly why I chose the area to get away from people in hopes to hunt spots others drive by. I am planning to be there hunting opening day and scouting the day before, I’ll take a week off work. There are some hiking trails and for sure will have some horses hunters up there. I do believe they get pushed out pretty fast in the area I’ll be. I also should have mentioned I’ll be solo so plan to do more stalking than anything so I don’t announce where I’m at right away.

OP
SilentPursuit
What they eat will require some sun exposure. You will come across extended sections of timber that tend to offer no food that elk eat and you'll notice the lack of sign in these areas. Pay attention to the vegetation in the areas where you aren't seeing any sign of elk having been feeding as the observations you make will tend to apply to the entire area you are hunting.

From there, you will notice that areas with an abundance of foods and correlating sign of feeding will fall into 3 categories:

1. Concentrated and regular feeding: both older and fresher sign with sign everywhere.
2. Seasonal feeding: maybe they feed here in the late spring/early summer calving season, but abandon the immediate area once recreational and hunting pressure become a factor, despite there being ample feeding still available.
3. Ample food, but little to no sign of feeding due to pressure, both recreational and hunting. This is the one that can often be the most difficult to accept, but elk will often completely ignore heavily trafficked areas despite being prime habitat.
I have a feeling the area I’m looking at will be in the 2nd or 3rd category. Specifically the 2nd as they have areas to go as soon as hunting pressure ramps up. I will be in there opening day and the day before to scout and I’ll take the week off work to hunt. If I find option 3 I’ll pack up and travel to my backup areas. My thoughts are to get in early as possible in the season trying to catch them before getting pushed off. There are some hiking trails near by and then a decent chunk of wilderness area that at least I don’t have to deal with roads getting hammered. Appreciate the info and I’ll keep in mind while up scouting.

OP
SilentPursuit
They predominantly eat unpunched elk tags left on the ground.
Ha this might be more true than anything. I chose the area knowing success rates are not the highest. I’m still cutting my teeth and I’ll shoot any legal elk I come across either sex, not worried about antlers yet. Plus I figured I would bank my points for now in case they take OTC away from residents.

OP
SilentPursuit
Stop escouting and get up there. There is zero replacement for spending time in their habitat watching them and learning. Scouting during the hunting season as a new hunter (or any level hunter really) has an extremely high failure rate. Even spending a day up there or a day and half, as many times as you can before season, is way better than being on the internet for hours. Some good starting point advice in here already, now get out there!
This is exactly the plan, I’ll be able to check out my backup spots on my way up to where I’m thinking of starting. Next month and in august is a start and if I get any free time in between I’ll head up there. I’m over 3 hours away and on call every other weekend for work but to me this is the best strategy. I’m just itching to get out but in my time I can’t I need to study elk ecology and e scouting for abundant backup areas.

OP
SilentPursuit
Last year was my first time hunting elk in Colorado. I always read that they eat young aspen bark. I saw lots of evidence of this last year with whole sheets of bark being missing.
I have found this as well out hunting last year but I couldn’t determine if it was elk or moose feeding as they both will eat aspens.

I’m going out in September for OTC archery in Colorado. I understand elk eat grasses and forbs but what does that mean at timber line high elevation? Should I be looking for open areas with grass along timber? I’m aware I’ll be in some steep country but have not stepped foot in the area yet just e scouting. I’m mainly wanting to know what food source I should be looking for, plenty of water around. I’m planning to head up there at least 2 separate weekends to camp and burn some rubber scouting. I have lots of other areas for backup places with lower elevations around 8-10k. I’ll be staying mobile unless I find elk and then I may bivy in. I can expand more on area in private messages, would rather not drop a google search spot to share with 500 friends.
A thought: As a guy who has hunted OTC in CO for many years, focusing on the question "what do elk like.." is challenging, given that hunter pressure is the dominant factor on where/why/when elk are where they are during a season. I suggest "forgetting" a little bit about their natural ecology and habits during an OTC season, and focus instead on likely areas that hunters will not be hitting hard. 20-25 years ago, getting 2 or 3 miles in off the trailhead would mean having the place to yourself. Not anymore in my experience. You might consider the question "if there is a lot of hunting pressure, where would elk go.." to be more relevant for OTC units. And yes, I have seen a bizarre amount of pressure during archery at high elevations recently. Given the open nature of timberline, it really doesn't take much to move them around (which can be good and bad at the same time).

OP
SilentPursuit
A thought: As a guy who has hunted OTC in CO for many years, focusing on the question "what do elk like.." is challenging, given that hunter pressure is the dominant factor on where/why/when elk are where they are during a season. I suggest "forgetting" a little bit about their natural ecology and habits during an OTC season, and focus instead on likely areas that hunters will not be hitting hard. 20-25 years ago, getting 2 or 3 miles in off the trailhead would mean having the place to yourself. Not anymore in my experience. You might consider the question "if there is a lot of hunting pressure, where would elk go.." to be more relevant for OTC units. And yes, I have seen a bizarre amount of pressure during archery at high elevations recently. Given the open nature of timberline, it really doesn't take much to move them around (which can be good and bad at the same time).
This is the battle I have been tossing around. I’m still cutting my teeth with solo mountain hunting. Only way I’m gonna learn is get out there and do it. When I bring up high country I get a lot of wouldn’t you rather get one a few miles off the road followed by trail cam photos of elk. Well I sure would but i have to find those spots first. I may as well throw a dart at a map of Colorado at this point. I did choose an area closer to home within 3-4 hours from my house with idea of being able to go scouting a few weekends before season. I will go more west next year with better knowledge. I have the option of hunting wilderness area or road filled state land as a back up. I’ll be more mobile this year and if the signs aren’t there I’ll move on to plan b-z. I would assume less pressure in wilderness area but less access and horse packers to deal with. Some hiking trails but nothing for the faint of heart. Figuring out pressure I assume will take time to learn the land and finding sanctuary areas that people less frequent.