Magview magnet giving GPS problems

I've read through several of the threads on here, and can't find where anyone calls out having this challenge. When I put the plate on my phone case for my S21 Ultra, the magnet plays hell with the GPS signal in all of my mapping apps. All the reviews I've read said this wasn't an issue, but it gave me fits last fall in the Montana backcountry. Beyond this one challenge, I love the system.

Has anyone else had this problem, or am I the only one?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The magnet is in the eyepiece attached to your optic. The plate that attaches to the back of the phone is just metal no magnets so that can NOT be the cause your compass issues

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
RM_Bowhunter
Then the metal plate is causing an issue with the GPS signal in my phone. I take the plate/case off and I have no problems getting an accurate location in any of my apps.

Brendan

WKR
A metal plate of the wrong design / location could impact signal from your phone's antenna. Will depend on the design of the phone, location of the internal GPS antenna, and the location / design of the metal plate.

No issue for me when I've tried it with my magview (Pixel 6 Pro), but if you're sure it's an issue for you then you need a different system.

OP
RM_Bowhunter
A metal plate of the wrong design / location could impact signal from your phone's antenna. Will depend on the design of the phone, location of the internal GPS antenna, and the location / design of the metal plate.

No issue for me when I've tried it with my magview (Pixel 6 Pro), but if you're sure it's an issue for you then you need a different system.
That definitely makes sense. I'm hoping someone on rokslide has the s21 and can chime in with their experiences. I might have to call Magview's customer support to see if it's a known defect with that phone. I think I'm over $250 in on this setup between both components, and really don't want to switch.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That definitely makes sense. I'm hoping someone on rokslide has the s21 and can chime in with their experiences. I might have to call Magview's customer support to see if it's a known defect with that phone. I think I'm over $250 in on this setup between both components, and really don't want to switch.
I have the s21 but it's not the ultra
5f03300de04c109262c022a978fec17c.jpg

OP
RM_Bowhunter
I have not any issues, it's been on all last season. I have the plate pretty centered
f8a34636410abb6e32cfe2b1f0cd776a.jpg

That's exactly how I had mine setup. I left a voicemail for the Magview customer support team. Hopefully they call me back in the next couple of days.