Magview for Kowa 554 spotter

tdhanses

WKR
Scope/phone cam works great, i don’t see why any others that’ll fit the eyepiece wouldn’t work.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Googled the magview, I don’t believe it’ll work as the eyepiece has to be between 2.0-2.36in, i believe it’ll be too large.

The bino version might work.

There’s a magview thread in optics I believe. I think guys are wrapping a few layers of electrical tape around the eyepiece to make it fit. I have a 554 also and pretty sure Santa is gonna bring me a magview so I’ll be in the same boat.

OP
rodney747

rodney747

WKR
There’s a magview thread in optics I believe. I think guys are wrapping a few layers of electrical tape around the eyepiece to make it fit. I have a 554 also and pretty sure Santa is gonna bring me a magview so I’ll be in the same boat.
That’s great. Could you keep me posted? I can hold off a bit on purchasing. Thanks

tdhanses

WKR
That’s great. Could you keep me posted? I can hold off a bit on purchasing. Thanks
If you read the magview review thread Robby created you’ll see guys have used it on the 553/554, just have to add some electrical tape as the eye piece is 1.96. Seems like once this is done it works fine.

I use the MagView on my Kowa 773 and 553. It does fit on the 55 when you stack a couple of the adapter rings inside the MagView, but honestly it doesn’t work nearly as well as on the 77. The field of view makes it super hard to line up properly and also the eyepiece rotates super easy on the 55, so you end of having the phone rotate out of level and changing the eye relief. I won’t be using it on that scope anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MC2FS

FNG
The electric tape would eventually slip off the eyecup. I was able to get mine to work on my 554 by stacking the rings. But, I did end up filing a little bit off the tip of the larger ring so it would close tighter. Then, I had problems with the eyecup rotating because I am left eye dominant and have to have it open to the left. So, I disassembled the eyecup and added a piece of masking tape over the indents to create just enough resistance. We’ll see how long it lasts but it’s been working the last 4 months and I’m happy.