Mack Brothers Actions

Anyone have any experience with these, their a good bit cheaper than most 700 clones. I was wondering about quality or should I look into another company

OP
W
I don’t own a Mack bros, but I’ve used the SS evo. I’m not totally sure what your question is. I’d build off a Mack Bros long before a semi-custom nowadays. Depending on what you’re building or features you want, they may or may not be a good choice.

Do you want integral lug and rail? Do you want a trigger hanger or pins? Are swapable boltheads important? Push feed or CRF? How important are on-the-shelf prefits? Quick change barrels? 2 lug or 3 lug bolts? Etc etc etc etc.
So semi custom, you mean like a blueprinted mass produced action? I’m honestly not sure what I’m wanting. I’ve messed with archery equipment my whole life and I’m trying to figure this stuff out. So what would an origin action get me over the evo? Just prefit barrel availability

Wright406

WKR
I've looked at the MB as well. But I will agree with what was said above.

The Origin keeps alot of doors open down the road. I currently own 2 and one TL3. Controlled round feed, interchangeable heads that are the same as my TL3, highly prefit compatible, bolt knobs etc.

Theres alot to offer in the Origin. I would like to try a MB but I feel like I'm giving up alot of additional features doing so.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have been testing one out and it is pretty nice so far! Super smooth bolt throw and easy bolt assembly. Yea I would love to see an integrated recoil lug and rail but that all comes at a price. They are a great bang for your buck action. As of right now I only have about 200 rounds through it so time will tell. Actions get pretty beat up with the Western CO and Utah dust so we will see how it holds up.

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I live about 15 miles from the Mac Bros facility. I currently have two Mac bros actions and my neighbor down the street works there. I have run and own a bunch of different custom actions (Stiller, Bordon, Nesika, Allterra Arms, Kauger Arms, TL Industries) Honestly I really don’t know how Mac Bros sells their actions so cheap. They are the smoothest actions I own and smoother than any of the others I’ve played with. Currently I have a 6.5 PRC and a 25 creedmoor built on a Mac Bros ss evo actions. There are only two things I could complain about: one is their thread pitch doesn’t match any prefit barrels that I’m aware of and the second is that the trigger hanger requires the rear action screw area to be opened up for the action to drop into a Remington inlet stock. You will not be disappointed if you pick one up and build a rifle on it!

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I live about 15 miles from the Mac Bros facility. I currently have two Mac bros actions and my neighbor down the street works there. I have run and own a bunch of different custom actions (Stiller, Bordon, Nesika, Allterra Arms, Kauger Arms, TL Industries) Honestly I really don’t know how Mac Bros sells their actions so cheap. They are the smoothest actions I own and smoother than any of the others I’ve played with. Currently I have a 6.5 PRC and a 25 creedmoor built on a Mac Bros ss evo actions. There are only two things I could complain about: one is their thread pitch doesn’t match any prefit barrels that I’m aware of and the second is that the trigger hanger requires the rear action screw area to be opened up for the action to drop into a Remington inlet stock. You will not be disappointed if you pick one up and build a rifle on it!
You think they'd drop in a chassis without issue? I imagine so, but never used one.

khuber84

WKR
Ehhh I had 2, sold one, gave other away. They're okay. Worth 750$ id say. Have owned kelbly, defiance, lone peak, terminus, arc, zermatt. The terminus and mac bros, wont buy again. Better options for the money. Id take a nucleus, origin, or tenacity over a mac any day. There was 3 though difference headspace between the two I had. The recoil lug interface has not enough tolerance built into it, so getting the lug properly seated requires barrel torque, so measuring proper headspace with micrometer is about impossible. Just not a fan.....

Yovi1991

FNG
Anyone have any experience with these, their a good bit cheaper than most 700 clones. I was wondering about quality or should I look into another company
I have a evo 2 that is waiting to be put together for a 6.5 prc build. So far just toying around with the bear action and cycling the bolt seems real smooth and worth the $$

I’ll try reviving this thread instead of starting a fresh 1…

I’m looking to pull the trigger on a new build for the 2023 season. I have a 300WM with a Lone Peak Arms Fuzion and a 6.5CM with a Defiance AnTi. My wife shoots a Sako 85 300WM that we rebarreled. After the recent increase in prices at Defiance, I talked with my builder and he has been using the Mack Brothers EVO II SS action on numerous builds lately.

I’m looking for a light 300WM, we’ll most likely go with an 18-19in barrel with a suppressor and I’ll definitely shoot 215 Bergers. My oldest boy will take over my current 300.

Who has direct experience with Mack Bros actions? (Pros, Cons, etc.) The price, availability, turnaround time on the build, smoothness… all sounds good. Who can provide some intel on Mack Bros?

They are a tried and blueprinted R700 done right the first time. No bells and whistles, but a solid action. I personally think the ARC CDG is a better bargain at their intro price of $899 right now.

Yovi1991

FNG
I’ll try reviving this thread instead of starting a fresh 1…

I’m looking to pull the trigger on a new build for the 2023 season. I have a 300WM with a Lone Peak Arms Fuzion and a 6.5CM with a Defiance AnTi. My wife shoots a Sako 85 300WM that we rebarreled. After the recent increase in prices at Defiance, I talked with my builder and he has been using the Mack Brothers EVO II SS action on numerous builds lately.

I’m looking for a light 300WM, we’ll most likely go with an 18-19in barrel with a suppressor and I’ll definitely shoot 215 Bergers. My oldest boy will take over my current 300.

Who has direct experience with Mack Bros actions? (Pros, Cons, etc.) The price, availability, turnaround time on the build, smoothness… all sounds good. Who can provide some intel on Mack Bros?
I have a sa. Evo ii. In 6.5prc And Like it. It’s fairly light and very smooth. The price went up $100 since last year but still pretty hard to beat for the money.

My smith has built quite a few with Mack bros and has had no complaints with them.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
So do the new Evo II stainless steel short actions accept prefit barrels in Rem 700?
Carbon six offers a pre fit. There is one more barrel company that does, I can’t remember off of the top of my head. I called MB a couple weeks ago and they said there are a couple shops that are going to start doing them.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Helping a buddy build his first real custom rifle and it is off the Mac bro's stainless long action like they use on the nosler 21 or 48, I forget which one, but it feels good.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I just got an email reply from Preferred Barrel Blanks saying that they can now build pre fits for Mack bros actions. Said to contact them or put it in the notes 🇺🇸