M5 bottom metal options - help me out

finner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a replacement bottom metal for a SA Origin 6.5cm build that will eventually live in a Rokstok. Does anyone have any strong opinions on the various options out there? So far I've looked at Hawkins, MDT, UM, and Atlasworx. They're all roughly around the same price point. Any input would be appreciated!

smax

FNG
I have Hawkins, Grayboe and PTG m5 bottom metals, and to be honest I like the Grayboe the most. The Hawkins is pretty close behind it, but the Grayboe just feels better.

The MDT one seems pretty cool because of its adjustable height magazine catch. I have a Hawkins M5 with an AW mag latch in my Foundation Centurion (still waiting on the barreled action before I can use it) but if there's feeding issues I'm immediately getting an MDT DBM.

OP
finner

finner

Lil-Rokslider
The MDT one seems pretty cool because of its adjustable height magazine catch. I have a Hawkins M5 with an AW mag latch in my Foundation Centurion (still waiting on the barreled action before I can use it) but if there's feeding issues I'm immediately getting an MDT DBM.
Have you tried the MDT polymer mags in the Hawkins? That seems like it would be a good combo but it's unclear whether they fit in a short action.

ChrisAU

WKR
Really like Hawkins Hunter for the option of the flush mag, though I do dislike the mag release. I understand why it is how it is, but I think stiff outboard paddles would be just fine as well.

Wrongside

WKR
Have you tried the MDT polymer mags in the Hawkins? That seems like it would be a good combo but it's unclear whether they fit in a short action.
The APA RTG works great with the polymer MDT 3-rounders. One of my all time favorite bottom metal setups.

ChrisAU

WKR
Really like Hawkins Hunter for the option of the flush mag, though I do dislike the mag release. I understand why it is how it is, but I think stiff outboard paddles would be just fine as well.

I posted this and thought surely there is another option, and boom, I have Mack Bros M5 on the way to compare for a new 22 Creed build.

SloppyJ

WKR
My 6 creed came with a m5 bottom metal from manners with the mini chassis. I like shooting AICS mags for practice but hate the looseness and clanging in the woods. I'm going to swap it over to a Hawkins Hunter so I can continue to use my MDT mags for practice but I can switch to their flush mag for hunting. That's the best bottom metal on the market IMO because of the flexibility.

I really like my UM bottom metal and mag on my 300prc too but I'm limited to 3 rounds. However, it does afford me a solid 3.800" COAL. With a little filing to the rear of the magazine it works pretty good in my Zermatt Origin.

Those would be my two picks depending on what you're looking for.

Last edited: