M1 Garand war relic

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
I know this may be a long shot on a hunting forum, but thought I’d try.

I found this M1 sticking out of a dirt pile near an excavation site in the town of Ulm Germany when I was a kid (78-79 ish). I cleaned it up and actually got the bolt and sights to function. Anyways…the SN on the receiver is very obscured but it appears to say “ Springfield Armory 42142” there may be more numbers but it’s pretty hard to tell. Anyone suggest any sources to try and get some history on this rifle? It was evidently separated from it’s issued owner, so that is likely not a good sign.

IMG_0073.jpeg

I found this M1 sticking out of a dirt pile near an excavation site in the town of Ulm Germany when I was a kid (78-79 ish). I cleaned it up and actually got the bolt and sights to function. Anyways…the SN on the receiver is very obscured but it appears to say “ Springfield Armory 42142” there may be more numbers but it’s pretty hard to tell. Anyone suggest any sources to try and get some history on this rifle? It was evidently separated from it’s issued owner, so that is likely not a good sign.

View attachment 575697
The Garand Collectors Association might be able to help, or at least point you in the right direction. https://thegca.org/

Awesome find!! That is a very low serial number!

Post above is correct May/June 1940 manufacturer date for the receiver.

You may or may not be able to make it out depending on the corrosion but the barrel will be date stamped as well. If you ever so gently pull back the op rod you should be able to see the stamp for manufacture and date of the barrel. I would guess it's going to be S-A- 5-40 or -6-40.
It could possibly be later depending on how long the receiver set before it was barreled or if it was rebarrelled at some point during the war.
I attached a picture for reference.

Looks like the windage knob is the updated type 1 or type 2, hard to tell because only difference really is way its threaded. Possibly a type 3 but hard to tell without a close up picture and the corrosion.

Definitely contact the Garand Collectors Association. I'm sure they will be very interested in it and could tell you more. They might even feature it in their quarterly journal they publish.
Here's the phone number to call M-F 9a-5p cst: 816-471-2005

Wish I knew more and could help you out more.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230715_002311.jpg
    Screenshot_20230715_002311.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 15

View attachment 575697
This is sad and rad at the same time. If it was mine I would figure out if it could be turned back into a functional fire arm.

Incredible find.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Awesome find!! That is a very low serial number!

Post above is correct May/June 1940 manufacturer date for the receiver.

You may or may not be able to make it out depending on the corrosion but the barrel will be date stamped as well. If you ever so gently pull back the op rod you should be able to see the stamp for manufacture and date of the barrel. I would guess it's going to be S-A- 5-40 or -6-40.
It could possibly be later depending on how long the receiver set before it was barreled or if it was rebarrelled at some point during the war.
I attached a picture for reference.

Looks like the windage knob is the updated type 1 or type 2, hard to tell because only difference really is way its threaded. Possibly a type 3 but hard to tell without a close up picture and the corrosion.

Definitely contact the Garand Collectors Association. I'm sure they will be very interested in it and could tell you more. They might even feature it in their quarterly journal they publish.
Here's the phone number to call M-F 9a-5p cst: 816-471-2005

Wish I knew more and could help you out more.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out!

Thank you for that information. The barrel is pretty corroded in that area, nothing visible to my eyes). When I found it, just the end of the receiver was sticking out of the dirt. It had likely been buried for about 30 plus years by then.

Thank you for that information. The barrel is pretty corroded in that area, nothing visible to my eyes). When I found it, just the end of the receiver was sticking out of the dirt. It had likely been buried for about 30 plus years by then.
You're very welcome.
Even in good condition those markings can be tough to make out, can't even imagine with the corrosion from being buried for 30 plus years.

Truly an amazing find, and to just see the receiver sticking out, man that must have been very exciting to see and dig out as a child.

I'd definitely give the GCA a call, they have tons of resources available and might be able to research it further. If only that gun could talk.

As a firearm, yeah its a total loss, but as a reminder or relic of the largest conflict in the entirety of human history this is actually a big deal. the historical value and human dimension are in my mind incalculable. One can only surmise, but the sobering reality is that this M1 belonged to a US GI in the winter-spring of 1944/45 who was probably violently separated from his rifle and his earthly life. My guess is he was one of the thousands of American men to fall victim to German indirect fire and the rifle was buried in the shell crater for 35 years.

Back