Luggage Disaster Alaska Airlines

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I guess this could happen anywhere, but I was less than impressed all around with Alaska Air on a long, long round trip from Detroit to Kodiak in early August.

Pre 9/11, my sporting travel consisted of a big heavy Pelican Double Rifle case. After 9/11 I needed to streamline and have had excellent results with the SKB Freedom case for the last 20 years…I hope they are still making them as I’m going to need to revisit my system.

C440D79D-9CE6-41A7-A9B9-D0336F14DA95.jpeg

11B17364-8905-4F35-A5D9-770342BF4B5A.jpeg

8365626C-567D-4E0F-AE7B-6E32FA8759B3.jpeg

3F889AB1-A02B-4F39-9D97-F75074F50EFC.jpeg

My beloved semi custom Gen 1 700 Ti was inside among other items. While I have not shot it yet, nothing looks broke or bent so I guess it could have been worse.

Glad it happened on the way home!

woods89

WKR
I guess this could happen anywhere, but I was less than impressed all around with Alaska Air on a long, long round trip from Detroit to Kodiak in early August.

Pre 9/11, my sporting travel consisted of a big heavy Pelican Double Rifle case. After 9/11 I needed to streamline and have had excellent results with the SKB Freedom case for the last 20 years…I hope they are still making them as I’m going to need to revisit my system.

View attachment 441316

View attachment 441319

View attachment 441320

View attachment 441321

My beloved semi custom Gen 1 700 Ti was inside among other items. While I have not shot it yet, nothing looks broke or bent so I guess it could have been worse.

Glad it happened on the way home!
Oouuuuccchhhhh............

I'd echo the above poster. If all's well with the rifle I'd reach out to the company. They may want that one for their office and help you out.

That thing saw a serious impact.......

Q child

WKR
My theory is it got caught up in some conveyor system. I knew speaking with Alaska Air would be futile amd I will definitely contact SKB and thank them for a great product.
Why is it futile to talk to Alaska Air? They might at least give you a voucher for some miles or something. I've never had them break my stuff like that, but they've been pretty accommodating when they have screwed up in other ways for me. Just a thought.

Johnboy

WKR
My theory is it got caught up in some conveyor system. I knew speaking with Alaska Air would be futile amd I will definitely contact SKB and thank them for a great product.
They wore a hole in a duffle bag of mine back in 2019. I submitted a damage claim, and they cut me a check for replacement cost. So, reaching out to them may not be futile. But I'd take a really close look down the barrel with bolt removed before sending one downrange, though. The way that case damage appears to me suggests that some serious torque may have been applied to the barrel. A slight bend may not be obvious at a glance. Better safe than sorry. I hope the gun is A-ok.

I just worked on a new baggage handling system for a major airport. An oversize bag like this really shouldn't ever be on the standard bag conveyors. It should be taken down in an elevator but different airports do things differently. Looks like it got pinched in a vertisort but, again, it should never be going through one.

My guess is they drove a tug or cart into it and it got pinched.

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Appreciate all the input gentleman. One of the reasons I decided to post was to get some other opinions.

Now that I have had a few days to reflect and am not delirious from a 26 hour travel day including the red eye I may contact AK Air. From the lack of stellar service the entire time on flights to the half dozen irate people that would have been in front of me at the luggage service desk, I just wanted to be done with that part of the trip…

And I will definitely check things over carefully on the rifle before sending anything down range.

Really appreciate all the insight.

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I will update here absolutely. Today I had my first positive experience with AA. I talked with a very pleasant gal in the luggage claim department. She started the paperwork as a courtesy since I was past the 24 hour claim window. We went over the issue and I’ve responded with the photos I posted here.

A+ for Megan, D- for everyone else I dealt with on the round trip 😁

She said it’s not unusual for it to take 4-6 weeks to review these things at this time of the year.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Just got back from the Dominican.
Wife asked why I didnt just check my rod tube?
This is why.
Dang.
Hope they make it right.

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
What I had hoped for was an explanation on how this happened so I could avoid it in the future.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I would reply "If I had made contact with anyone with AA within the 24hr window, I would most likely end up on some FAA watchlist, or at best, not allowed to be on another AA flight in my lifetime". Also, how did someone from AA not reach out to you at the time it happened. One of their employees knew this happened.