Lowest Temp for this Kuiu system

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
Sitting on a ridge glassing in 20 MPH wind, whats a guestimate on the lowest comfortable temp this arrangement will afford you. I realize that I can add a puffy, but would like to know how often it will actually get used.

Kuiu
Merino 145 Crew
Guide DCS vest
Guide DCS Jacket

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I wore this almost exact thing a few weeks ago javelina hunting here in AZ. Wind was blowing 15-20 mph and it was mid 30's starting out in the morning. I was chilly and was much more comfortable when I threw a puffy on. I was 'ok' without the puffy out of the wind. I hate the wind...

Iron Mike

FNG
ctsmith
Tough to give you a good answer based on what you are wearing. What are you wearing for bottoms? That would also make a big difference. Also are you glassing after a tough hike that left you a little sweaty? Assuming you are wearing a merino base layer and lets say Alpine pants, gloves and a cap or beanie of some sort, I would think Mid 30's also if you were not too sweaty.
I have all the items you mentioned and here is my 2 cents - I really like my guide jacket and it works great for me in early to mid season hunts but you do need to layer as it gets colder. I also like my guide vest but hardly wear it anymore hunting as combined with the jacket its a little bulky for the weight. I do wear it though but mostly around my place and I keep it in the truck for what ever. If I had to do over I may not have bought it. Not because it isnt a nice piece but I cant find a place for it. I now wear (when needed) and carry a puffy down vest that weighs nothing, packs down to nothing and gives me as much warmth as the guide vest. Granted is not nearly as tough but I wear it underneath if actively hunting and cold enough or outside if sitting around. It also cost way less (Costco) and works great. You would save enough money buying one of these to almost pay for some of the great zip off merino base layers from Kuiu which IMO are awesome.

OP
C

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
Ron, appreciate the info. Thanks!

Mike,
I am trying to finalize an order so thanks for the advise. Pants will be either Sitka Mountain pants (currently have) or Kuiu Guide pant if its cooler, either combined with a base if needed.

If I understand you correctly, a combination of the following will work down to some pretty low temps.
145 Merino Base
210 Merino Hoodie
Super Down Vest
Guide Jacket

I should add that rain gear is not a priority. I am not (typically) a backpacker. A typical hunt consists of driving near to the hill/mountain, climbing it with nothing but base layer unless it is cooler than 20, I get HOT. Layer up when the top is reached. Glass indefinitely. Might end up back at the truck or might end up on a day long five mile goose chase. I carry cheap, light rain gear and it serves the purpose.

Also, this is mainly for the desert south west where everything pokes you. Need a tough outer layer for moving about. Can only wear the puffy without an outer if glassing.

Oh yeah, one more thing, this is for archery mule deer and elk, so it needs to be as quite as possible.

Last edited:
I never found the Guide jacket to add warmth. Could not see a role for it in my kit. Sold it and the vest. Now I run merino base layers (1 or 2) Kenai jacket and 240 windstopper shell on outside. Very warm and total wind block. Sat a treestand at 15 degrees and was fine several times.

This is my go-to system for those cold mornings glassing on a ridge.

bhylton

WKR
I never found the Guide jacket to add warmth. Could not see a role for it in my kit. Sold it and the vest. Now I run merino base layers (1 or 2) Kenai jacket and 240 windstopper shell on outside. Very warm and total wind block. Sat a treestand at 15 degrees and was fine several times.

This is my go-to system for those cold mornings glassing on a ridge.
Whats the 240 windstopper shell?

The KUIU 240 actually has a wind membrane. They do not highlight this very well. My friend discovered it on their site description. I now own two sizes and patterns. Love them. Only improvement would be pit zips and chest pocket since I use as an outer layer most of the time.

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
Are you talking about the Peloton 240? I have one and while it cuts most of the wind I wouldn't say all of it.

Iron Mike

FNG
Ron, appreciate the info. Thanks!

Mike,
I am trying to finalize an order so thanks for the advise. Pants will be either Sitka Mountain pants (currently have) or Kuiu Guide pant if its cooler, either combined with a base if needed.

If I understand you correctly, a combination of the following will work down to some pretty low temps.
145 Merino Base
210 Merino Hoodie
Super Down Vest
Guide Jacket

I should add that rain gear is not a priority. I am not (typically) a backpacker. A typical hunt consists of driving near to the hill/mountain, climbing it with nothing but base layer unless it is cooler than 20, I get HOT. Layer up when the top is reached. Glass indefinitely. Might end up back at the truck or might end up on a day long five mile goose chase. I carry cheap, light rain gear and it serves the purpose.

Also, this is mainly for the desert south west where everything pokes you. Need a tough outer layer for moving about. Can only wear the puffy without an outer if glassing.

Oh yeah, one more thing, this is for archery mule deer and elk, so it needs to be as quite as possible.

I think you would be in good shape for what your showing - just search around for the puffy as if you dont need camo you can save bucks!

Yes, I live in windy ND and wind stopper has been the #1 goal my whole hunting life seeking out quiet wind shells. When I blow through the Peleton 240 it seems 99% to me and performs well while being light, stretchy, and reasonably quiet.

Lindley

FNG
Yes, I live in windy ND and wind stopper has been the #1 goal my whole hunting life seeking out quiet wind shells. When I blow through the Peleton 240 it seems 99% to me and performs well while being light, stretchy, and reasonably quiet.

I will confirm as well that the Peloton 240 is more windproof than the DCS guide jacket. For those of you that own both, place your mouth tight against the material and try blowing through it with your hand on the backside. You will see that the Peloton 240 blocks 99% of the air, whereas The DCS guide jacket blocks approximately 80%. The Peloton 240 is awesome for how lightweight it is and I use mine a lot.

Having said all that though, I use the DCS guide jacket when I know I'm going to be very active and want better breathability. It also gives me more room to layer underneath than the Peloton 240 of it is really cold. When I wont be as active, and I want to layer underneath, AND I know the wind is going to be howling, I use the Sitka Jetstream instead because of the Windstopper. The only thing I don't like about the Jetstream is the spandex in it, which can absorb a lot of water if you get it wet or sweat a lot with heavy exertion. (Somewhere on YouTube there is also a guy bitching about his jetstream jacket that he got wet from brushbusting and it became soggy, heavy, and useless. So be careful there.)