Lower back strengthening.

IDVortex

WKR
Well, finally being more serious about trying to get my lower back in better shape, granted it's to late for the year but for next year.

About once a year I pull/strain muscles in my lower back (don't remember what muscle group it is called) and I end up going on light duty. What's led to it is using a shovel a lot, raking asphalt and what made the muscle finally decided it was done was opening a tailgate.

Besides making a good effort of not twisting with weight, and make more of a effort to lift with my legs, what can I do to actually strengthen my lower back?

I’ve found wall sits, single leg squats with one foot up on a chair behind you, planks help a lot. Anything that strengthens/gets the glutes working. Also stretch front hip flexors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a Planet Fitness near you, it's worth looking into. They have muscle-group specific equipment and their basic cost is 12 dollars a month; this cost is covered by many insurance plans (United Health covers my wife and I).

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Start with the McGill big 3, which can be done at home, then move onto strengthening the entire core area. Be sure to work all planes of movement to eliminate one weak area that causes everything else to compensate for it.

SonnyDay

WKR
I REALLY screwed up my lower back in my 20's working a car wreck as a volunteer firefighter. Took months of recovery. And on occasion I seem to re-trigger it... doing the kinds of things you describe.

I notice the longest gaps between re-injury when I am consistently doing some basic core strength stuff. Push ups, sit ups, and curls with free weights. I don't do a ton... because if i pile too much into my workout, I tend not to do it.

Good luck.

BBob

WKR
My low back issues (QL quadratus lumborum tightness & spasms) are 100% connected to pissed off tight glutes (glute medius specifically). If I keep my glutes happy my QL's stay happy. It's not always the muscle that's reacting that is the root problem. It's usually an imbalance elsewhere that needs work not the muscle causing the pain.

Last edited:
Deadlift and squats with plenty of abs, can do abs everyday. Wendlers 5/3/1 if you wanna get serious with it, it’s life changing. Not only will you get incredible strong, you’re entire body and mind will feel better.

Loco4dux

WKR
Start with the McGill big 3, which can be done at home, then move onto strengthening the entire core area. Be sure to work all planes of movement to eliminate one weak area that causes everything else to compensate for it.

This x2 plus stretching

All the strengthening suggestions are good advice but in your case I would also reiterate you probably have a muscle imbalance. Mostly working one side of your body strengthening that side and neglecting the other will really mess you up. Stretching your hips / leg muscles you will probably find one side tighter than the other. Fix that.

bpitcher

FNG
Lots of good advice here. Core and legs.

I'm a huge proponent of sandbag training for this.

Wapato

FNG
I recently had a lower back injury and went to a physical therapist. They emphasized core strengthening and stretching. Learned some great techniques. I’d recommend professional help for a bit just to learn some techniques you can do on your own going forward.