Lowa Tibet

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone get nasty blisters with these at first? If so, how long did you have to use them for to break them in. Also, would you buy these again?

grainhog

FNG
I have ~500 miles and untold vert each on pairs of Tibet High GTXs and Hunter Evo GTXs (basically same boot with 200 g thinsulate). They have served me well and owe me nothing.

Both stopped being fully waterproof after about 300 miles, and the rands are peeled off quite a lot. I have a high arch, narrow-to-medium width, medium volume foot. I use either custom orthotics or Powerstep Pulse + Met insoles, and so need footwear with enough volume to accommodate them, which both of these boots have. I wear a knee high ultra thin smartwool compression sock only, even in frigid temps, unless I'm just working around the house. I have never had blister issues with them. Correct sock thickness is critical.

Both Tibet and Hunter are full shank and so are stiff and torsionally rigid. They (especially 10") are very burly and capable in very gnarly terrain. Even though they served me well, I won't buy either again. It is ultimately a simple matter of weight. Even the uninsulated one comes out of the box at 960 g. My skimo boots only weigh 1200! And there are a wide variety of ski mountaineering boots available now in the 900 g range. So, it's just more swing weight than I can justify when I have to hike off the mountain instead of ski.

This year I wore the Hoka speedgoat high with the powersteps early season, probably 70% off trail. They are crazy light, tough and stiff for essentially a high top tail runner. Once snow flew I switched to the Scarpa Ribelle HD through November. Hunted 15+ days in the ribelle including two backcountry packouts. I did get blisters on my inside heels but dealt with them.

The Ribelles are insane. They are a hybrid approach shoe, mountaineering boot, and trail hiker, with enough volume for aftermarket orthotics, all at under 700 g. For me, the future is a tough trail runner early and a hybrid mountain boot like the Ribelle late. Big chunky leather boots have their place, but it's probably on horseback or the fire line.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
I have ~500 miles and untold vert each on pairs of Tibet High GTXs and Hunter Evo GTXs (basically same boot with 200 g thinsulate). They have served me well and owe me nothing.

Both stopped being fully waterproof after about 300 miles, and the rands are peeled off quite a lot. I have a high arch, narrow-to-medium width, medium volume foot. I use either custom orthotics or Powerstep Pulse + Met insoles, and so need footwear with enough volume to accommodate them, which both of these boots have. I wear a knee high ultra thin smartwool compression sock only, even in frigid temps, unless I'm just working around the house. I have never had blister issues with them. Correct sock thickness is critical.

Both Tibet and Hunter are full shank and so are stiff and torsionally rigid. They (especially 10") are very burly and capable in very gnarly terrain. Even though they served me well, I won't buy either again. It is ultimately a simple matter of weight. Even the uninsulated one comes out of the box at 960 g. My skimo boots only weigh 1200! And there are a wide variety of ski mountaineering boots available now in the 900 g range. So, it's just more swing weight than I can justify when I have to hike off the mountain instead of ski.

This year I wore the Hoka speedgoat high with the powersteps early season, probably 70% off trail. They are crazy light, tough and stiff for essentially a high top tail runner. Once snow flew I switched to the Scarpa Ribelle HD through November. Hunted 15+ days in the ribelle including two backcountry packouts. I did get blisters on my inside heels but dealt with them.

The Ribelles are insane. They are a hybrid approach shoe, mountaineering boot, and trail hiker, with enough volume for aftermarket orthotics, all at under 700 g. For me, the future is a tough trail runner early and a hybrid mountain boot like the Ribelle late. Big chunky leather boots have their place, but it's probably on horseback or the fire line.
Man, what a great response thank you! The Tibets are definitely the heaviest boots I've ever put on but I thought once I get used to them I won't mind the weight. I do have to add that I always look for the lightest shoe possible for the activity at hand so to be honest with myself I don't know if I will get used to the Tibets. There's no going back now so if anything I'll try to sell them. I will definitely give them time and hole they work out for me. One quick question for you, are the Tibets pretty much considered mountaineering boots? If so, that opens up a whole new world of boots to look into in the future. Thanks again!

I have them and have not had any blister issues - they do take time (miles) to break in - they are heavy but quite comfortable under weight - I have the Lowa Explorers when I want a lighter boot - I would buy them again for what they are and what they are intended for

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I did not get blisters and they where very comfortable; but would not buy again.

The soles are very hard and slip on rock, I fell more in them than any other shoe, to include sandals. Predominantly when walking on large rocks and rock faces. However, the tread pattern was not great for mud and vegetation either.

They are heavy.

The leather soaks up water and they get even heavier.

I had no issues with durability over 4 years, other than one eyelet cracking.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
I did not get blisters and they where very comfortable; but would not buy again.

The soles are very hard and slip on rock, I fell more in them than any other shoe, to include sandals. Predominantly when walking on large rocks and rock faces. However, the tread pattern was not great for mud and vegetation either.

They are heavy.

The leather soaks up water and they get even heavier.

I had no issues with durability over 4 years, other than one eyelet cracking.
Great answer thanks! What did you end up getting instead?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Great answer thanks! What did you end up getting instead?
For boots I have La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX in Kryptek. They are no longer made though. They can also be overkill for many things.

Before that I used some Arc'teryx Bora 2s, that are no longer made.

I use approach shoes for a lot of things now.

La Sportivas fit my feet well. My wife prefers Scarpa. Both have a great selection and I would base it on how they fit. Having looked at other brands, Salewa, Lowa, Etc are all on the heavy side.

I don't have those, but I do have the Lowa Camino GTX. I love them. When I bought them, I was in the backcountry hunting 2 days later and never got any blisters.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
For boots I have La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX in Kryptek. They are no longer made though. They can also be overkill for many things.

Before that I used some Arc'teryx Bora 2s, that are no longer made.

I use approach shoes for a lot of things now.

La Sportivas fit my feet well. My wife prefers Scarpa. Both have a great selection and I would base it on how they fit. Having looked at other brands, Salewa, Lowa, Etc are all on the heavy side.
Awesome thanks! I noticed no one mentioning Crispi boots and I also noticed a bunch of people selling them. I wish I could wear them and find out LOL

grainhog

FNG
Man, what a great response thank you! The Tibets are definitely the heaviest boots I've ever put on but I thought once I get used to them I won't mind the weight. I do have to add that I always look for the lightest shoe possible for the activity at hand so to be honest with myself I don't know if I will get used to the Tibets. There's no going back now so if anything I'll try to sell them. I will definitely give them time and hole they work out for me. One quick question for you, are the Tibets pretty much considered mountaineering boots? If so, that opens up a whole new world of boots to look into in the future. Thanks again!
I think you will be glad to have them, especailly as you add other boots to your lineup over time. They are excellent for certain terrain types and climates. But they are pricey at MSRP, so makes sense that one might decide to sell them to buy something lighter/more niche. I oil and waterproof mine with Montana Pitch whenever they start to get dry btw.

I consider them mountain boots, if not full-on mountaineering boots. The Sportivas mentioned have soles designed for crampons, for example, so are designed for mountaineering, but the Lowas are just as durable and stiff, and can also be used with certain kinds of crampons. I agree with the comment above that they bear weight well. I often hunt in something lighter, and if I kill something and have to make a second trip, I have the Lowas in the truck. If I'm cruising trail or road beds, they're way overkill for me.

As you may know they say 1 lb on your feet (called swing weight) has the overall effect of 5 lbs on your back. Excessive swing weight can lead to injuries, e.g. hip flexor strain. I think one can definitely adapt to more swing weight, but I'd add some intentional hip flexor/single leg strengthening exercises in addition to just hiking, and well in advance of any extended trip or hiking in deep snow. And warming up is important, especially as you get older.

Footwear is so expensive, and it takes so much trial and error to find the perfect fit. But once I figured mine out, it was all worth it!

PMcGee

WKR
I’m on my 3rd pair and never had blister issues. Tried a pair of Zamberlan baltoro’s this year. Although they were lighter I like the Tibets more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone get nasty blisters with these at first? If so, how long did you have to use them for to break them in. Also, would you buy these again?
I used to have a pair. They were OK. Didn't fit my feet that well, never blisters but just uncomfortable. I ended up buying a pair of briksdal SF a few years back that I am very pleased with. Fit my feet better, locks the heel alot better, lighter than the tibets, also they have rocker on them making walking on flatter ground a lot easier. They might not be quiet as stiff as the tibets but Def stiff enough for alpine hunting with a pack. Again this is my experience so not sure how they would work out for you.

Hunted CO 2018 elk archery/rifle seasons with the Tibets. Pretty comfortable out of the box no break-in period for me. Liked the ankle support and bombproof construction. Just darn too heavy for my mobile style of hunting. I still have them but only use them occasionally during late rifle season snowy conditions and with snowshoes. I'm now a Crispi fanboy all the way.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
I think you will be glad to have them, especailly as you add other boots to your lineup over time. They are excellent for certain terrain types and climates. But they are pricey at MSRP, so makes sense that one might decide to sell them to buy something lighter/more niche. I oil and waterproof mine with Montana Pitch whenever they start to get dry btw.

I consider them mountain boots, if not full-on mountaineering boots. The Sportivas mentioned have soles designed for crampons, for example, so are designed for mountaineering, but the Lowas are just as durable and stiff, and can also be used with certain kinds of crampons. I agree with the comment above that they bear weight well. I often hunt in something lighter, and if I kill something and have to make a second trip, I have the Lowas in the truck. If I'm cruising trail or road beds, they're way overkill for me.

As you may know they say 1 lb on your feet (called swing weight) has the overall effect of 5 lbs on your back. Excessive swing weight can lead to injuries, e.g. hip flexor strain. I think one can definitely adapt to more swing weight, but I'd add some intentional hip flexor/single leg strengthening exercises in addition to just hiking, and well in advance of any extended trip or hiking in deep snow. And warming up is important, especially as you get older.

Footwear is so expensive, and it takes so much trial and error to find the perfect fit. But once I figured mine out, it was all worth it!
I can't thank you guys enough for your input. I do think that with the type of hunting that the guy teaching me to hunt likes to do, I will definitely come to appreciate these as he is extremely active and does a lot of climbing over stuff and what not. With that said, I hope these don't become too heavy for me based on what you have said with the swing weight and all.

I do think I should find a lighter pair if the terrain is more forgiving.
Hunted CO 2018 elk archery/rifle seasons with the Tibets. Pretty comfortable out of the box no break-in period for me. Liked the ankle support and bombproof construction. Just darn too heavy for my mobile style of hunting. I still have them but only use them occasionally during late rifle season snowy conditions and with snowshoes. I'm now a Crispi fanboy all the way.
I looked into the Crispi boots and the Nevada or guide for example, are literally 2-3 ounces lighter if that. I am a very mobile hunter as well so now idk what to do. I think I am going to sell my Tibets before I even get to use them. I know the best way is to try out things yourself but I don't want to spend $400+ on boots only to find out I hate them and need to spend another $400 on a different pair. I guess there will never be that one perfect boot for absolutely everyone because we're all different.

I have them and have not had any blister issues - they do take time (miles) to break in - they are heavy but quite comfortable under weight - I have the Lowa Explorers when I want a lighter boot - I would buy them again for what they are and what they are intended for
Hi there, I joined this forum a few days ago and don’t have permission to respond to your PST post just yet, but I’d love to make an offer if you’re open to it

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

I ended up keeping them. I never mentioned but somehow I paid $220 for them on Amazon lol. Good luck finding something! 👍