Lowa tibet gtx waterproof issues?

Elite

WKR
So I have been running the Tibet gtx for a few years now and it seems like every pair I have owned seems to start leaking and soaking my feet after the 2nd season. I have tried every waterproofing cream/wax I could find and they helped but they still leak.

Wondering if anyone else has found this to be the case? If so I might be switching brands.

I like how stiff the Tibets are for sheep hunting but also enjoy them for hiking in tree blow down areas for elk hunting. Anyone have suggestions on a different boot to try or how to correct this issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some guys seem to have better luck than me, but I usually only get a few seasons out of GoreTex before it leaks. I don't think this is unique to Lowas.

The creams and sprays are good for keeping the leather from being saturated, but if the structural integrity of the GoreTex liner is compromised, no amount of DWR treatment will make them waterproof.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Yep I’ve gave up on Lowa Tibets. Three pairs over about five years and they all leaked within a few months. Using this last pair I drier country until they til completely wear out.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Same here, mine leaked the second season. Still one of my favorite boots though. I switched to Zambarlans last year and they seem to hold out the water better. But they aren’t as comfortable for me. So I’m thinking of switching back. Needless to say I have not found the perfect boot for me.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned, it isn’t a Lowa material failure. Gore manufactures the PTFE membrane and liner. I had some Tibets leak around the ball of my foot, and I’ve had other brands leak, too. Goretex isn’t perfect.

If you have your receipt, Gore will actually refund you for the cost of the boots.

dtrkyman

WKR
Only pair that have lasted with goretex are full leather Asolo 520s, still going strong after a long time. Any synthetic type don't last 2 long before leaking somewhere.

Catchfish

WKR
My Lowas finally failed they made it at least 8 years. Currently looking at new boots as well, local options to try are slim though. I wanted to try some zamberlains just haven’t made it to the store yet.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
My Tibets leaked on the left foot near the toe flex point after less than 20 miles of hiking. Bought some goretex-lined wool socks and kept on hiking because I was just a few months outside of Lowa's warranty when I realized the issue was warranty-able. Put hundreds of miles on the boots since and minimized leaking by frequently Nikwax treating the boots. The leaking is manageable, but annoying on multi-day trips where I can't dry out the boots. Oh well, I'm not sure any other brand has a better track record since most use the same GoreTex liners.

Stumbled onto this thread after a quick search and see others are enjoying the same soaking wet feet that I am.
Mine are leaking like a sieve after a couple seasons. My feet were absolutely soaked the last several times I've worn them in 2-3" of snow.
I really like the fit of mine b/c they're wide so I'm not sure what to replace them with?

bpurtz

WKR
I'm a big Lowa fan - the Ranger III GTX is my regular hiker - it's pretty similar to the Tibet but not quite as stiff. I usually get 2-3 seasons out of a pair of boots before they start leaking. I clean and apply Kennetrek boot wax nearly every time that I return from the field.

I'm curious if the guys experiencing leaking are wearing gaiters or not? If not, I'd suggest that wet pant legs will migrate the moisture to your socks and feet and cause the perception that your boots are leaking. I also almost always use gaiters when hiking in any wet conditions so maybe that's slowing a boot failure for me...

EATELK

FNG
Stumbled onto this thread after a quick search and see others are enjoying the same soaking wet feet that I am.
Mine are leaking like a sieve after a couple seasons. My feet were absolutely soaked the last several times I've worn them in 2-3" of snow.
I really like the fit of mine b/c they're wide so I'm not sure what to replace them with?
FWIW, I went through the same issues. Loved the fit on the Tibets as I have wide feet but after multiple pairs leaked and several warranty claims later, I decided to move on. I finally settled on the Crispi Nevadas. They're not quite as stiff as the Tibet but they fit my foot well and haven't leaked yet, although I've been weirdly religious about treating them, something I didn't keep up on with the Lowas. Everyone's foot is different, but the Nevadas were very close to the fit of the Tibets for me. I wore EE in the Lowas but actually went with a standard width on the Nevadas as the EE were too wide.

sako75

FNG
Most comfortable boot for my feet something I can’t find in any other boot I’ve tried. They leak like a sieve never had a pair make a year after three pairs had to give up.

Luked

WKR
I have been in the Lowa Tibets for going on 3 years and they still work and look like new.
Have had a lot of hunts in them and still going strong.
I like the fit of them but don't like the weight of them. That is my only complaint with them.
I'm looking to buy something lighter for the future.