Lost hunter out of Seven Devils Area,Riggins Idaho.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Glad this turned out OK. I carry an old CD as the back of it makes a great mirror. Plus an Inreach and other devices. I'm extra cautious, especially when on my own now that I'm elderly.

OP
Customweld
Just a reminder... everyone dies and you're mostly not in control of when and how.
True. But it might be nice to minimize the amount of time your loved ones spend looking for you. 10 years or so ago, a fella disappeared in roughly the same area. They found his remains a few years ago. Lots of time was spent looking for him.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Now that everyone’s okay…can I make a comment about those elk pins???lol.
That poor guy. Didnt talk to his wife in a little over a day and she posts exact coordinates to where he was, where he camps AND 3 pins he sent her where he saw elk. To top it all off she called search and rescue. Showed the post to my wife as example 1 of exactly what not to do.

Loper

WKR
That poor guy. Didnt talk to his wife in a little over a day and she posts exact coordinates to where he was, where he camps AND 3 pins he sent her where he saw elk. To top it all off she called search and rescue. Showed the post to my wife as example 1 of exactly what not to do.
I’m glad he was found safe and uninjured.

My wife would probably do the same thing, even if it was just an hour after a missed rendezvous. If I returned and realized that there was a large overreaction and people were out looking for me, I’d probably be really embarrassed and make my wife delete the post.

Taudisio

WKR
When I was a single fella, I would tell my mom I was going camping/hunting, give her the general area, and the day I might have service to call, and when to call for help. Sometimes it would be more than 10 days solo (I miss the peace, quiet, and solitude of that time in my life sometimes).

With my wife, I would tell her the general area and tell her when I expect to have service, and tell her not to call anyone until at least a day later depending on the game I was hunting. I got an inreach this summer. Definitely gives her peace of mind. I got a cow elk down at dusk and instead of me being home by 8/9pm, I messaged her that I would be home in the morning sometime (got there at 3:30am). She really likes it. I like the fact I can reach out to emergency services immediately if something happens.

I guess people do, but I can’t imagine going into back country, particularly alone, without some way to communicate. Just too many unplanned and unexpected things can happen.