Losing those last few pounds is hard! Really!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got another PM, I'll answer it here (at some point, I have to get back to work!)

"Robby,
...If you could give me a clue on these last few pounds... I would like to have them gone by the 4th of July. I feel this is a very realistic goal. If you need a food log or work out log or anything like that please let me know.

I am so close to meeting my goal personal goal of 175 pounds I hate to stop and be content with where I am at. This morning I stepped on the scale and was at 183 pounds which is a huge difference from the 220 pounds that I started at 16 months ago. I have gotten close and down to 177 pounds but it seems like the last few pounds are just hanging around taunting me. I know that the last little bit can cause some people to jump off the wagon and get very discouraged, I do not want to be one of these people."

My answer:

Great job on your accomplshments

this is where you have to get realistic and patient.

You've lost 2.3 pounds per month (average) last 16 months, and now you want to lose 8 pounds in a month!!!!!!

Look at the calories required to do this:

8 pounds x 3500 cal/ pound = 28,000 cal deficit (counting pure fat, you may lose some water, but it always comes back). So you'd need a 28.000 cal deficit in 30 days or 933/ day.

This is doable, but not likely based on your past peformance (which is great by the way.) This is where people start not to like me 'cause I shoot them straight and don't just cheerlead them to an unattainable goal. Sorry, won't go there.

You could do a very low carb diet (Atkins, Zone, whatever) and probably hit that 175 or less, but I don't hardly ever (met one a few hours ago) meet anyone who keeps weight lost that way off, and there are health risks.

At the rate you've been losing it, you'd be to your goal in about 3.5 months. I know, not exciting.

Be patient, stay focused, and keep working hard.

I admire your results.

I would tell him its the law of diminishing returns! I don't know why most people are focused on the weight number.... Its a phenomenon I will never understand!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Because we're all different and care about different things...

Definitely law of diminishing returns.