Looking to buy new rifle

G Posik

WKR
Alright first off let me say I hunt with a Longbow. Now then I am looking at a new rifle. I have a few already but thinking about a 300 R.U.M. I am looking for something I can hunt moose, mtn goat/sheep, elk and anything else on north America that gets in the cross hairs. So is this a good choice? Thinking about throwing 200 grains down range. I have my eye on the Christianson arms carbon custom. Any feed back welcome. Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Shrek

WKR
That will certainly do it but its a lot boom for a guy coming from no rifle shooting. I'm a 7mm fan so I'm biased but a 7mm rem mag will do it all and is at the upper limit of recoil for most people. A 280 ai is even milder and packs great performance for north american game. I'm not familiar with christiansen arms but a kimber Montana in 280 ai or 7mm rem mag is a light rifle. If you go with a 300 rum I would definitely put a brake on it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have had three CA rifles. They are great rifles. But I would also consider looking a Hell Canyons new rifles.
They also have carbon barrels and are
going to be sweet! The 300 RUM will knock down anything in NA, way out there.

OP
G Posik

G Posik

WKR
Dave I just said I hunt with a Longbow. I shoot rifles a lot. I shoot a 7mm wsm - 50 BIG. The last time I hunted with a rifle I used my 338-378 Weatherby mag.

Ryan, I looked at HC's website yesterday and did not see any builds yet. Will have to see about getting in touch to find out what and when on his stuff.

I have glass already to mount up- Night Force 5.5 x22 x 56mm.

Glenn

Glenn,
While we've put together a lot of rifles, our first two dedicated HCA rifles will be finished here in the next 2 weeks or so! I'm on my phone right now but will send you a pm tomorrow with some more details! Thanks!

Mike

OP
G Posik

G Posik

WKR
Dave no problem, I do love my 7wsm, it has laid down many critters.

Mike looking forward to hearing from you.

Glenn

Alright first off let me say I hunt with a Longbow. Now then I am looking at a new rifle. I have a few already but thinking about a 300 R.U.M. I am looking for something I can hunt moose, mtn goat/sheep, elk and anything else on north America that gets in the cross hairs. So is this a good choice? Thinking about throwing 200 grains down range. I have my eye on the Christianson arms carbon custom. Any feed back welcome. Thanks in advance.

Glenn

How far do you realistically what to shoot at your animal, and will you hand load or buy factory ammo?

If you are going to spend the cash on CA I would also recommend looking at semi or full custom rifle. Hell's Canyon is a great choice. Advantage of someone building a rifle is everything gets built right the first time. No need to take the rifle back to have the action Blueprinted, stock bedded, better trigger put on.

As for the 300 ultra mag. That will kill anything, and the animal behind it also. Make sure and get a BIG muscle break on that sucker. Want to talk about flinch.
if you wanted something a bit lighter I would look at 6.5x284.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
That is a great round for our bigger animals and even the smaller ones with the right bullets. I like the 30-378 which is about the same thing. If you hand load, look at the new 210 grain AccuBond that is coming out. The G1 BC is 730 if I remember right.

OP
G Posik

G Posik

WKR
Fire Arrow - any of my 30 cal or bigger stuff gets a real muzzle break. I have a 416 that needs a muzzle break in the worst way, it kicks like a p!ssed off mule. Since Mike (Hell's Canyon) said he was going to get in touch with me then I am thinking he will. I might end up with a HC in a single digit serial number. As how far I want to shoot something, well hunting with a longbow has really messed me up. I like to get close just for the fun. I do like to shoot long distance as well. So a realistic hunting range in the 7-800 yds is not beyond my range by any means, just not as much fun.

Justin,

i do not load, but will get hand loads from someone I know.

Glenn

crumy

WKR
I just started hunting with a rifle 4 years ago. Before that it was a 12 ga in 3" slugs. I picked a 300 win mag and don't really notice the recoil. shoot it a lot at the range. Same time a guy I know who hunts with a 270 shot my gun and he said it kicked like a mule. I really think it is what you are used to. I don't have a break. But at the same time I am thinking about investing in a new rifle but I am struggling because I really like my 300 and getting another rifle in 300 just doesn't seem logical.