Looking to buy a new pack

HUNT

FNG
One thing to keep in mind when picking a pack is how you will use it and the design philosophy of the maker. KUIU is all about function and lightweight gear so their packs are pretty slick (i.e., little or no exterior pockets) and they don't have many add on pockets or pouches. Kifaru on the other hand also does a slick pack but gives you all kinds of pockets and pouches to add to it. They (Kifaru) also has some new packs that have some basic pockets on on the base pack now. Kifaru also uses 1000d and 500d cordura while KUIU uses 160d Cordura for their packs.

Actually the KUIU is full of pockets and pouches, they aren't add-ons, they are part of the pack. There are 4 exterior pockets that zip plus 2 exterior stuff pockets. Plus there are 7 interior pockets for organizing gear. That's one of the things I really like about my 5000. Lots of pockets to organize without all the added weight that typically comes with extra pockets.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I agree, I suspect everyone of us has had multiple packs. Forever is about as long as it takes for us to change our minds on what we need/want from a pack.

May I suggest you try and make the WA Rokslide Hike July 20th. It looks like lots of very fine gear will be in attendance and one of the reasons I'm going to join in for the hike. I'm sure all your pack questions will be answered during that time. What better time to see, fondle & hear why guys like & use what they have. IMO, no one single pack is 100% perfect in all catagories for 100% of everybody's hunting styles. So it's cool when you see a lot of differant packs in one place.
For me versatility is more important than weight, so I tend to lean toward the modular designs for most of my hunting.
But I have to admit, I want to see the Kifaru Bikini & Duplex frames.
Hunt'nFish

Mike,

Only you would want to fondle another guys Gear. hahahaha I couldnt resist you set yourself right up on that one =)

trdhunter

WKR
Does anyone have any pics of the pockets on a kuiu? Maybe its not a big deal, but I have liked having pockets for organizing in previous packs, but with pull-outs the kifaru might be just the ticket. Just trying to decide.

HUNT

FNG
Does anyone have any pics of the pockets on a kuiu? Maybe its not a big deal, but I have liked having pockets for organizing in previous packs, but with pull-outs the kifaru might be just the ticket. Just trying to decide.

Shoot me a PM with your cell # and I'll text you some pics of my pack tonight.

HUNT

gotllamas

FNG
Just my two cents but I have had both the Kuiu and Kifaru packs. The Kifaru pack wins hands down. I picked up a Duplex frame this winter and am loving it. I think you have more set up options with the Kifaru packs than the Kuiu. When I say setup I mean different pack bags, pockets, and hualing systems. I have made a pack to attach to the frame for day use and then use a Sea to Summit 65L dry bag to carry my camping gear. With this set up I can carry camp in, drop it off in camp and go hunt. When I get something down I will turn the Sea to Summit bag horizontally and then put the meat on top of it helping keep the weight of the meat high.View attachment 8565

gotllamas

FNG
Sorry about that. I am still learning this attachment thing. Here are a few. Not real happy with my first attemt at the day pack. Somewhat hard to get into with everything strapped down. Kifaru needs to come up with a small pack like this. I'd buy one in a heart beat. The last pic with the yellow bag and orange is to show what I think is going to work for packing out meat and camp. Camp is in the yellow and meat in the orange bag.DSCN4359.jpgDSCN4356.jpgDSCN4363.jpgView attachment 8574DSCN4370.jpg