Looking for some courage/advice on leaving a job for a 40k pay cut per year?

Elite

WKR
The last several years I have worked my way up to a relatively high paying job but the 13 hour days and rotating night shifts have destroyed my personal life and energy when I am off work.

We also just recently had our first child and it’s making it that much more difficult now,

So am I crazy to look into a job with shorter days and no night shifts and home more often for roughly a 40k before tax pay cut?

I know a pay cut and a different job is a risk but we have lived well below our income and have saved the extra income for the last several years and are in a good position financially with investments and on track for retirement with not saving much more money then what’s in there now.

Spending more quality time with the child seems a lot more pleasing then big pay cheques now.

Just don’t want to make the wrong choice and regret it down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taudisio

WKR
Man that is a lot of money to give up. I was in a similar mindset/position and took a $2/hr pay cut. Best thing I have done. I have promoted and make more than I did, but not more than if I stayed and promoted there.

If you can continue to be financially stable, and have a better quality of life, then I say go for it. Time is something we can never get back. 40k/year is A LOT of money to pass on though. Like stated above, if you’re going from 140k+, down, you will probably be just fine.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
We just had our 2nd child and our first is 2-1/2. I would work a lesser paying job if ends still met before I sacrificed my time with them because it does in fact go by incredibly fast and you aren't getting those years back. You sound like you're in a position to do it.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I will say after midnight shift for 5yrs, I won't go back. Money never equals happiness. But it's up to you how much money will allow you to live the life you want.

This is a decision that should be made with your wife (or baby momma) involved.

280Ackley

WKR
The last several years I have worked my way up to a relatively high paying job but the 13 hour days and rotating night shifts have destroyed my personal life and energy when I am off work.

We also just recently had our first child and it’s making it that much more difficult now,

So am I crazy to look into a job with shorter days and no night shifts and home more often for roughly a 40k before tax pay cut?

I know a pay cut and a different job is a risk but we have lived well below our income and have saved the extra income for the last several years and are in a good position financially with investments and on track for retirement with not saving much more money then what’s in there now.

Spending more quality time with the child seems a lot more pleasing then big pay cheques now.

Just don’t want to make the wrong choice and regret it down the road

Just took a $20k a year pay cut to work 10 minutes from house and be home 2-1/2 to 3 hours more a day. That was 2 months ago and it was the best decision I could have made. Getting to spend time for breakfast and lunch with my two girls was definitely worth the pay cut.

You only get so much time with your kids. Take advantage of it while you can!!

jimh406

WKR
If you can make it with the pay cut and have a better life, I think it's a no-brainer. That is, as long as the wife is on board. Most people can spend more than they make or all of what they make.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
If it is a 70k to 30k change, that could be difficult. If the change is 140k to 100k then that is a different story. As long as the new salary will not cause undue money stress, I think the family time is worth way more than 40k.

It’s not a 70-30k. It’s definitely higher then that. I do agree that the separation makes a large difference. Just didn’t want to post income

KyleR1985

WKR
Shift work will kill you. So will lots of other things but that will take years from you.

I know someone mentioned the starting point being important to whether the 40k is worth it.

I can tell you I did it, in pursuit of living somewhere else that made me happy. Gave up upside and felt great about it in ‘21. But the move has made me incredibly insecure with regard to the cost of living right now.

I look at houses I expected to buy over the next 1-2 years, and I cannot afford them. And that is only because of the combination of rising interest rates and the pay cut. I could’ve managed either alone but not both. Lesson: things change quickly.

It has made a material negative impact on my happiness and well being. Now, I did get to move to the place I wanted. And that makes me really happy. On balance, I’m better off. But it’s much closer than what I imagined when I made the decision.

Assume that that will be the case for yourself when doing math.

Know a few guys that ran around chasing that OT and the bigger paying jobs, only to spend it all on child support..

More time at home isnt a bad thing. Its kinda really cool to have energy on your days off as well.

Carr5vols

WKR
My baby girl just voted today for first time...I chased money all these years and regret it everyday now. I gave my wife and 3 kids a life most families dream about but I have missed so much and would love to do it again differently.

Never seen a Wells Fargo truck following a hearse...do you want memories with them or to leave them a money. Only you and your wife can make that decision not some guys on a forum.

Pray about it.

Never met anyone who wished they had less money, but, I know tons of people who wish they had spent more time with their (insert relative here). Tough situation from the sounds of it, but every family and situation is different. Only you know what is right for you and your family. Good luck in whatever you decide

NealS02

FNG
On my deathbed I will not look back and wish I had more money. I sure as hell will wish I'd spent more time with my family. I’ve been in your shoes and kept the job/career. It has worked out with less hours now, but I missed a lot of years of my kids childhood and it haunts me.

FAAFO

WKR
Money has bought me happiness many many many times.

No one can answer your question but you. Good luck! I love my kids but I also like money. Find the balance that works for you.