Looking for Colorado elk advice.

TaperPin

WKR
There’s nothing wrong with a 30-378, but they are are significantly harder to shoot than a 300 win. Recoil is about 50% more and you will notice it.

Without a brake recoil is fierce. With a brake the sound is so loud there’s absolutely no way to shoot it accurately without ear plugs, and that’s just not reasonable for hunting.

Before you buy one I’d strongly suggest you find one to shoot. I was shooting a 340 Weatherby and 375 H&H quite well when I picked up the 30-378, and it was just too much gun for me without the brake. Other guys love theirs. If you’re tuff it is awefully fun to touch off 110-120 gr. of powder. My rifle was a Weatherby and not the most accurate. If I were to do it again I’d use a custom barrel on either the Weatherby or a custom action. These pop up used regularly. Right now there’s a Mark V at the local Scheels in new condition for $1,000.

If you want a little extra speed, the 300 prc or 300 Rum recoils a lot less, and the 300 Norma, based on a necked down 338 Lapua, is gaining traction as an accurate long range 30 cal. and is slightly smaller.

My current 300 is a PRC, but if I already had a 300 win it might not be worth switching.

(you will be encouraged to shoot a 223 at that short range, but just humor them and they will go away eventually) 🙂

Last edited:

Choupique

WKR
Im worried it's not enough

Just use your win mag. Get a new scope if you've got the new gear itchies.

Better yet, get a big ass pile of ammo and go shooting.

Even better than all the above is don't worry about the rifle at all. It's just about the least important piece of kit in an elk hunt even though it is the most fun one to mess with. Binoculars, backpacks, boots etc are all more important.

wytx

WKR
Yep, upgrade your binos and take the 300 WM.
I have taken all of my elk with either a .308 or 300wsm, 300wsm is all I hunt with now.
My last cow bison took a 165 gr bonded bullet and dropped in 10 yds.
We have a friend with a 30-378, he rarely shoots it now because of ammo and brass availability and the price of each.

Woitey

FNG
I am relatively new to elk hunting. That said I have been on three guided elk hunts. These were 2x1s and in one case 3x1. Everyone except me carried a 300 Win Mag on each of the hunts. My guides told me to expect and zero the rifle to a 300-yard shot. I took elk on each of these hunts, all of which were at that range and change. I always bring two rifles, in case I broke one, a 338 WM and this last hunt a 6.5 PRC, which replaced a 375 H&H. I ended up using the PRC on a big cow. I have to agree with the above posters that the 300 WM is plenty. If it is accurate in your hands I would spend my rifle money on an Alpha bino. That's what you will use the most.

Keep the gun you have. If the scope isn’t up to the job get a new one. Then go practice out too 600 yards.

Gerbdog

WKR
Your an archer normally.... skip the gun and go get it done with your bow! September in the elk woods is awesome unless there is something preventing a September trip.

OP
J

jonjon

FNG
Thanks all who chimed in. Much appreciated. The hunt im looking at is a sleeper blind. Success rate is high
Your an archer normally.... skip the gun and go get it done with your bow! September in the elk woods is awesome unless there is something preventing a September trip.
I've been twice. Got close. My buddy got a nice one I Bugled in. Between lodging,license, meals and the trip from here being 24hr drive its not a cheap trip. I'd really like to get my dad one. I personally have many trips left in me , this may be his last. I'd rather pay a few more bucks and get one this trip.