Looking for Advice: Guided Moose Hunt – Alaska vs. Yukon Territory (Outfitter Recommendations etc.)

Atlas2022

FNG
Hi,

I am beginning to plan a guided Alaska-Yukon Moose hunt for either 23, 24 or 25 (depending on availability) and was hoping to get some feedback from this group on the below inquiries.

The general parameters of the envisioned hunt are as follows:
  • Guided combo rifle hunt (moose & grizzly) with 3 hunters – each looking for a moose
  • Open to either Alaska or the Yukon Territory
  • Objective is to experience a true wilderness hunt in a scenic setting
  • Exceptional trophy is a nice to have, but success rate as well as overall experience of the hunt are likely more important
  • Budget is flexible
  • Open to suggestions on the hunting style (float, spike camp, horseback) – group is in good physical condition, so that should not be a constraint
My initial questions are as follows:
  • Is there a meaningful difference between hunting in Alaska and the Yukon Territory? If so, would one be preferred over the other?
  • Are there any recommended outfitters in either Alaska or the Yukon Territory that could provide a hunting experience the suits the above parameters?
Any feedback would be much appreciated, and I am looking forward to the responses from this group.

Thanks in advance!

rope

FNG
I live pretty close to the Alaska/Yukon border. As far as topography they are very similar, and prior to Covid I spent a good amount of time in the Yukon. Either place I think you will be in for a hunt of a lifetime. Covid protocol may be your biggest challenge, pending your citizenship and help you decide where you go. As far as guides/transporters go.

I know Will Kohler of Wrangell Mountain Outfitters (horseback hunt) he's solid and has a great reputation. With WMO you will leave from Beaver Creek Yukon and head into the Wrangell Mountains of Alaska for your hunt. WMO checks some boxes that you listed, and pending the exact view you will see glaciers, I dont know how close you will get to them. He does have some nice photos on his website.

For transporters 40 Mile Air out of Tok are top notch, makes DIY so grizzly is off the list without a guide or second degree of kindred. They have a very long waiting list (years).

Have fun, take pictures and share you success with us.

rope

FNG
I meet Coke Wallace out of Healy a few years back. Had a good conversation with him, struck me as a solid person. He hunts just outside Denali National Park. I frequent Healy fairly often and look forward to speaking with him again. A while back I heard Coke on the Tundra Talk podcast. Good luck with your guide search.

mulecreek

FNG
My thoughts.

Be careful of combo hunts, particularly in AK. I would only do a combo hunt in AK if the second animal was on a trophy fee basis rather than already baked into the price. From what I have seen in Yukon almost all are done this way. Looks like many in AK are going that way as well but a few are still selling multi-species hunts where chances of success on both are slim. This is not absolute but something to be aware of.

For me a horseback moose and grizz hunt would be top of the list. Spike camp would be next. Float would be a very distant 3rd.

Cant help too much on Outfitters, its been several years since I did any detailed research on outfitters. It is rare to hear negatives about the Yukon guys. A bit more common to hear horror stories about some of the AK outfitters but still a bunch of great ones to work with. Buddy of mine hunted with Bonnet Plume last year for sheep and moose. He took an old one horned ram, a wolf and an absolute giant of a moose. Close to 70".

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
  • Is there a meaningful difference between hunting in Alaska and the Yukon Territory? If so, would one be preferred over the other?
Yes, you are not going to be able to get very much meat back from the Yukon/NWT, unless you own your own float plane. Due to space and weight restrictions on airline flights going out of Norman Wells (for NWT), two coolers is about all you should plan on getting home. Anything else will be classified as cargo, and depending on how full the flights are, may sit there for several days before it gets put on a plane. It's not like in the L48 where you can just pay for extra luggage and expect it come with you. Most people take a cooler or two home, and then donate the rest to the natives, and to base camp.
  • Are there any recommended outfitters in either Alaska or the Yukon Territory that could provide a hunting experience the suits the above parameters?
For Alaska I'd recommend Will Koehler

For Canada I'd recommend Gana River Outfitters

Both of these include Moose, and then add-ons are on a trophy fee basis. Current rates are from $31-35K, but when you figure in everything else.....flights, gratuities, other incidentals, logistics, expediting of trophies, taxidermy, you are probably going to be paying $40-45K per person when it's all said and done just if you get a moose. That number will go up if you add on other species with the other fees, expediting, and taxidermy.

"3 Hunters":

These hunts are very serious endeavors with a ton of manpower and logistics involved where you are intended to be the only person hunting in a vast area....not a group activity. The 3 of you should be prepared to go your separate ways from base camp, meet up with your respective cooks, wranglers, guides and horse team, and then see each other back at base camp when your hunts are over.

If all 3 of you want to hunt together, you should look at some of the jet boat operations in Alaska.....they take a bunch of people at once. You will pay $25K and the experience won't be anything like the above operations, 1...maybe 2 of you will get a moose. Or you could just do a DIY trip with one of the fly in drop camp operations which there are 100 threads on here about...Renfros, Pappa Bear, etc. Even cheaper.

Ultimately you have to decide what is most important to you.....the experience, trophy caliber, success rate, cost, etc. You can't have it all. There is no right or wrong answer.....make sure the other 2 hunters are on the same page as you, and let us know what you decide.

VernAK

WKR
The only outfitter, that I am familiar with, that fills your requirements is Will Kohler of Wrangell Mountain Outfitters......sounding repetitious huh? You would not see jet boats and supercubs buzzing you.

Scenic beyond belief.

Three grizzlies would be a stretch.

We've had a tough winter so I'm sure Will is anxious to survey the winter kill situation.

mulecreek

FNG
You wont be hunting grizzly in NWT. But I agree for a straight up moose hunt it would be hard to beat Gana River.

Last edited:

I_am_Waz

FNG
Having hunted the Yukon and Alaska I can say I feel strongly about both as the area is an unbelievable remote experience.

The reason I lean towards Alaska is because as an American in the lower 48, it is 1000 times less hassle to bring meat and game home.

I hunted with Solo Creek Guide Service (http://www.solocreekguideservices.com/) who also operate in the Wrangell's and about 13 miles from the Yukon border.

The operation is first rate and customer focused. Tom and Sheila (Brother and Sister) own and operate the outfit and it has been in the family for over 40 years. Couple that with the fact that they only take 4 or 5 hunters a year and you can be certain they are attentive to your needs and the quality of Moose and Bear in the area speak for themselves.

The only access to SoloCreek is via 40mile air out of Tok and the hunts are Horseback and Hiking.

I could sit here and tell you more but a video is worth 1000 words and I documented my hunt and camp details in 2 videos on You Tube for others to enjoy:

You can also find those links on the Solo Creek Reference page.

Best of Luck!
Gene

bradb

WKR
I had a great hunt with Yukon Peak Outfitters. It was a sheep, moose, and grizz hunt. I shot a very good sheep, great dall and should have had a good grizz. It was a horseback hunt

tuffcity

WKR
4 Yukon companies that come to mind are Ceaser Lake Outfitters (south east) Rogue River (sort of mid east) and Blackstone Outfitters (north east). A south west YT outfitter would be Kusawa Lake Outfitters.

Haven't hunted with any of them (because I'm a YT resident) but do know people connected with each operation and they are all solid folks

b.purcell

FNG
Send me a pm if you are still looking at doing your moose hunt in AK. Our outfit operates in several different areas and our western AK hunts are world class. We had 4 hunters last year and everyone tagged out in a couple days. I was co guiding 2 hunters and we got both of them magnificent bulls. I think the next availability we have is for 24. But gives you a little time to save and prep! 93FD903D-2510-420C-882D-9BC11E94BBC3.jpegEAB60E50-6F49-4DCB-B3D0-11BF5F6BF214.jpeg

traillboy

FNG
We went throug Willow Air in Alaska. They outfit drop camps on the Innoko River. Steve had ran WIllow Air for nearly 30 years I believe and his reputation is stellar. However, earlier this year he sold out to a person named Trace. Our agreement with Steve was two 14' boats with 20HP motors to navigate roughly 10 miles of the river and five miles of a tributary. Covering ground is important in this country. In addition, the boats provide an essential way of getting moose back to camp. What Trace provided was two 10' dingy's with 3.5 HP motors. We were limited to hunting meadows within 1.5 mi of camp. Even that distance in the rafts provided us with nearly a 3 hour round trip excursion. I don't mind not tagging out as it is hunting and that's part of it. What I won't tolerate is being cheated and lied to. Unfortunately in one season Trace has ruined an outfitting business that had a stellar reputation for 30 years.

Send me a pm if you are still looking at doing your moose hunt in AK. Our outfit operates in several different areas and our western AK hunts are world class. We had 4 hunters last year and everyone tagged out in a couple days. I was co guiding 2 hunters and we got both of them magnificent bulls. I think the next availability we have is for 24. But gives you a little time to save and prep! View attachment 399330View attachment 399331
Send me a PM if you’re still guiding. I’d like to ask some questions and get some info from you.