Looking for a tent for the family

kpk

WKR
I'm looking for suggestions on a tent for the family to use while car camping on the MN north shore. It'll be for the wife, 4 year old daughter, and myself. The last time I was there was in June and it dipped into the 20's at night and we had wind, rain, sleet, and an finally an inch of snow. That was just the wife and I and I was very glad we had taken my good gear on that trip.

I'm looking for...
- can handle inclement weather
- quick set-up time. We typically camp at a different state park every night, so fast set-up and take down is a huge plus
- big enough for the 3 of us to be comfortable incase of bad weather (table, games, cooking, etc)
- I'd like to be able to run a buddy heater or stove just incase it gets really cold

Right now, I'm thinking the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 or 8. I've looked at the Seek Outside stuff, but not sure how big I would have to go?

Maverick1

WKR
Crossed this bridge a few years ago. Due to the infrequency of use, I got an inexpensive Coleman tent. When I’m elk hunting, I’m fine under a minimalist tarp and being uncomfortable. Family camping is a different story. Went with a six person model, 10’x10’ - big enough to put in full size air mattresses, 6’ tall in the center so you can get dressed standing up, and enough room for gear at your feet. The bathtub floor has held up well under pretty heavy rains. Hasn’t been exposed to snow, so I can’t speak to that.

Wheels

WKR
In my opinion, the Alaskan Guide tent wouldn't be big enough for your family and everything you listed. Being a dome tent, you are limited on usable space. My suggestion would be a square/rectangular style tent with side walls, i.e. Alaknak or Kodiak Canvas type. You can set those up as fast if not faster than a dome style and have more usable space.

Reactions: kpk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
My Recommendation would be a Kodiak Canvas Ten 10x14 Deluxe model. its definitely not the cheapest but is super easy to put up and will provide a nice cozy camping experience for your family.

https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-1...t-deluxe-estimated-restock-date-nov-1st-2022/ or the next step up that has side windows. https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-14-ft-flex-bow-vx-tent/

Ive had my 10x10 for 5 years and absolutely love it. I even kept it after getting into my travel trailer as its nice for when I dont want to pull the camper.

OP
kpk

kpk

WKR
In my opinion, the Alaskan Guide tent wouldn't be big enough for your family and everything you listed. Being a dome tent, you are limited on usable space. My suggestion would be a square/rectangular style tent with side walls, i.e. Alaknak or Kodiak Canvas type. You can set those up as fast if not faster than a dome style and have more usable space.

Doing activies and having heat in the tent is only in a worst case scenario. We'd typically set-up at dusk, sleep, and pack up in the morning.

I've never dealt with a kodiak canvas tent. How long does it typically take to set-up / tear down one of these?

Wheels

WKR
Doing activies and having heat in the tent is only in a worst case scenario. We'd typically set-up at dusk, sleep, and pack up in the morning.

I've never dealt with a kodiak canvas tent. How long does it typically take to set-up / tear down one of these?
I have an Alaknak, can’t speak on the Kodiak Canvas, but I can set it up in about 15 minutes by myself. Same for tear down. Kodiak should be similar.
I also have an Alaskan Guide 6 person and it’s no faster to set up/tear down, actually may take a few minutes more with feeding the poles thru the slots. Tent stakes are about the same on all of them.

There is no close second place to an Arctic Oven for what you described. We bought one when our oldest was 6 months and camp from April-October. Plenty of room, absolutely no condensation, and insulated. I've used mine for a couple of nights well below 0F with the Mr. Buddy on low and it was sweatshirt weather inside. All moisture is pushed through the inner tent fabric and onto the rain fly so not a single drop of condensation. We have an AO 10 with the vestibule. That way we can store bags and gear still inside the tent but not in the way. That tent is perfect for a family of 3. Maybe hard to justify the purchase for one trip a year. But once you have it, it will give you the option to extend your season. We go on several more trips a year now that we wouldn't have before since we bought our Arctic Oven. Plan to do a couple trips with my 4 year old ice fishing/camping this winter.

Terrapin

WKR
I’ve been very happy with my Kodiak Canvas tent. I bought a 12x12… in the subsequent years all go my hunting buddies have bought one as well. It looks like an advertisement when we all get together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for Kodiak. I have the 10x14 VX so that it can be used in warm weather and have extra venting. Quick to put up and can handle the elements.

HuntCrazy

Lil-Rokslider
Another Kodiak vote here. I wouldn't even waste your time honestly .... get on there website see what foot print you like and pull trigger

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I will also cast another vote for the Kodiak 10x10 or 10x14 Flex Bow. I have the latter tent (it's heavy at about 80 lbs.) and it has withstood some serious storms, cold, you name it weather, but pitching it nightly would be a lot IMHO.

I mostly use it solo so put up and take down takes longer, but it is still a lot of work on a daily basis even with two adults. And let's not forgot the stuff you have to put in the tent and take out whenever you move.

Good luck,

Eddie

I've got the 6 person Alaskan Guide and love it for my early archery hunts. Been thinking about getting the 8 person for a little extra room with three guys and cots. For colder seasons I bring my 12x12 Alaknak for the extra room and stove. The Alaskan Guide takes up a lot less room in the truck but I bring it on every trip if something were to massively fail on the Alaknak my hunt wouldn't be a disaster. Both tents are easy to set up and have been through the elements without any issues outside of a bent vestibule tube in 50+ mph winds. Can't wait to get my 2.5 year old daughter out camping as well. Really like the Kodiak tents but I find canvas can be heavy, a pain to dry out and hate trimming poles because the canvas shrinks. My 2 cents but canvas definitely holds heat better and not as noisy in the wind.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Being in MN, you have another option. You can go rent a Snowtrekker to try out. Piragis Outfitters in Ely rents them, or Hard Water Sports in Sandstone has one older one available for rent also. Pick it up in Sandstone and run up to Jay Cooke or something for a weekend. You can try out the woodstove that way, too. The newer ones set up even faster than the one HWS has, due to updates to the side pole and guy line designs.

Apart from that, I second the Flex Bow tents from Kodiak Canvas also. I can vouch for those in cold MN spring rain. However, I wish more people would check out the Springbar tents first. Most of theirs are still made in Utah, vs. the Kodiaks from China. Also, Springbar offers some hot tent packages if you're interested in that.

Another option with a similar design is a Jumping Jack trailer, which is basically a Springbar/Flex Bow tent built into a small utility trailer. Mine has been up and down Hwy 61 plenty of times, and has also been set up in the dark, in the rain, many times. The Jumping Jack sets up quicker than a 10'x10' Flex Bow. We once rode out a storm in ours at Interstate SP that was bad enough the Park Rangers came around and recommended people either go to the shelter or leave. After I woke up and shut the windows, not another drop came in.

8 person cabelas instinct outfitter. Has a stove jack. We use a 6 person 10x 10 and it is great for 2 costs and a stove. Holds heat better than single wall tents. I’m in MN as well and camp for deer hunting. Nu-way propane stove should work well, but sure a buddy would be ok.

Also is a square floor plan with steep side walls in comparison to the Alaskan guide models. Much more usable space.

They stopped making these for a year or 2, but are back.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Seek Outside 8 man tipi for my family. There is 4 of us total. I also picked up a stove for when it gets cold.
We only need half the tipi have the nest. The other half can keep gear dry. It’s great. Easy to set up and quick.

madgrad02

WKR
While my tent experience is admittedly somewhat limited, I'll add a +1 for the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8 person dome tent. I'm sure there are better options, but this fit the bill for my family (wife, 3 and 5yr olds, and disc-o-bed cots) - and a family member who works there supplying the 45% employee discount doesn't hurt!!! 🤣

sasquatch

WKR
Spring-bar, I’ve went the Kodiak route and wasted money.

The strength in the way the bottom/floor and stake loops are made is huge plus to the springbar, high winds tore my Kodiak at the floor/wall seam from this.

Then tried forever to try and make a warranty claim, got so tired of no call backs or responses to emails it went in the trash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

E6ylK

FNG
I’ve been in a similar situation a few times now.

I had a small kodiak canvas (2 person) tent for a while, and did want a larger 10x10/14, but could never get passed the packed size and weight. It just takes up too much room in the car at the same time space is at a premium. I also don’t care for the extra time and space required to dry canvas vs nylon.

I ended up getting an Alps Taurus Outfitter for family trips and have been very happy with it, but have doubts about how well it’d do in the wind. The 5 person works well for a family of 4, and is also very quick to set up, with 2 poles and about 10 stakes, including guy outs.

The cabelas Alaskan guide should do a lot better in the wind, but is over twice the price and more time to set up. That or similar might be your best option for family trips with high wind.