Looking for a Summer side job

Laramie

WKR
Umpire baseball and softball. It pays very well and you pick and choose what days you want to work. PM me if you want a hand getting started.

CCooper

WKR
CAD and modeling are one of the biggest needs in construction right now. I know several engineers that have left the 7-5 to do it for themselves. There are many companies like ours that have no need for a full-time CAD/ modeling guy but are willing to pay handsomely when we need it done. We have been paying our guy (which is good) $450 per sheet for detail and design drawings that are fairly simple. It doesn't take him much time to complete them. We will probably spend around $10K with him this year and are happy with our arrangement.

jmez

WKR
A lot of things you could do. Landscaping would be a good one. You would need to check local regulations. A lot of municipalities are now limiting hours any sort of outside construction can be done due to noise and disruption of neighborhoods. Stupid but is what it is.

Sprinkler system maintenance and care. Most of the landscaping and installation companies only like to put them in. They are easy to work on. Set up in spring to turn them on, tune the heads and make sure all the heads and valves are working. Program boxes for people. 90% of homeowners can't even set the program up. Repair and trouble shoot them in the summer. In the fall rent a commercial air compressor and blow them out, shut them down for the winter.

Handyman if you can do basic construction. Huge need and pays well. I had a hole in my ceiling from a small water leak. I don't do drywall. Hole was less than 1ft square. I couldn't find anyone that wanted to fix it. Finally tracked someone down, HIs work time at the house was about 3 hours total. Cost me $1300. Guys just name their price on small jobs because no one wants to do them. Wait times are generally weeks to months, if you can get a hold of someone.

Appliance repair is another good one. Being an engineer you should be able to step right into that. If you can run a multi meter and have a basic understanding of switches and circuits you are good to go. Our washer just broke. I usually fix it. Control board went bad for the second time in 3 years. I called to have it looked at to try to get Maytag, (don't buy a Maytag) to do something about it. Place where I bought it doesn't have any technicians, can't find any. Local repair place, 3 week wait just to get it looked at.

Mechanic work. If you are so inclined. Could just do basic stuff and stay busier than you wanted if you have tools and a place to do it. Small engine repair.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I cut grass on the side. I also do some excavation as well. I can make an extra 5-10 grand that goes torward hunting and fuel to hunt working 1 night a week and a couple Saturdays April- October

rayporter

WKR
next door neighbor kid got laid off. on the way home he bought a JD zero turn and for the next three years he was so busy he turned jobs down. finally got a job at the federal prison and was glad to quit the lawn gig.

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Nuisance animal trapping, My neighbors paid like 700 bucks to get rid of some groundhogs under the deck.

Sports umpire. Parents are kinda crazy, but if you can tune them out you could work every day after work and all day on the weekend.

Weldor

WKR
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but how much epxerience do you have is a real issue. I don't think I would hire somone to do concrete work or roofing without some kind of reference or license. Just a example. As a retired Trademan I am very careful who I hire to work for me. No offense. Buy a mini excavator or 36" Bobcat and you'll make money .

Lawnmowing/ landscaping. Go to the back flow certification class, then buy an air compressor for blow-outs. You can test, then certify an apparatus, then blow it out in the fall and offer system start ups in the spring. A couple of guys that work with me do that and make pretty decent side money.They could do really well if they didn’t have a full time job.

TaperPin

WKR
I have to wonder why you are avoiding side work as an engineer?

Guys have mentioned a number of good ideas, and there are many other options, but there’s more to this story.