Looking for a new rifle - Recommendations

SwiftShot

WKR
So who has gotten “tribal”, or who has tied they’re sense of self worth to a Tikka in this thread?
If you understood the conversation We where discussing other forums. You could go back and read our discussion about it.

Ewnrules

FNG
I’m so glad many members here recommended the Tikka rifles. I was shopping around for a .308 bolt action several years ago and came across this brand when Remington and Ruger were dominating the market. Anyway, read some great reviews on Tikka regarding accuracy and trigger pull and went with it. No regrets whatsoever, my T3 lite is a nice, accurate shooter.

K1jerry

FNG
I know it boaring but one is hard pressed to beat the 30'06. Great ammo selection and prices. You have a nice 30 cal frontal diameter for a big wound channel. 308 win is right in there also but the 06 is a bit flatter. As everyone said, Tikka rifles are fantastic. Just be aware the twist is 1-11 in the 30 calibers. So shooting over 180 might be a issue. Id still get the Tikka Super Lite 30'06 topped with a VX5 3-15 cds and hunt the world.

Seeknelk

WKR
Why do so many people like Tikkas? The barrels have too slow of twist for heavy bullets. The stock sucks. The barrels shoot slow. The mag is too short. I've seen that about 30% of them don't shoot very good. They do have a good factory trigger.
Keep it up! Yeah they suck. No one else should buy them😁

MCS

FNG
Keep it up! Yeah they suck. No one else should buy them😁
I shot one of my deer this season with a tikka. It was rebarreled with a bartlein barrel because it shot really bad with the factory barrel.

OP
SkHunter92
Well guys, finally pulled the trigger (figuratively and literally) on the vanguard in .308. And let me tell you, it's a gorgeous rifle. Smooth action, feeds and ejects well with a crisp trigger. I like it! My next gun is going to be a tikka for sure, so if you guys have any recommendations on a decent caliber choice to fill the gap in my collection that would be awesome. Currently shooting an xpr in .270wsm and this weatherby in .308

Reactions: MCS
Both
Well guys, finally pulled the trigger (figuratively and literally) on the vanguard in .308. And let me tell you, it's a gorgeous rifle. Smooth action, feeds and ejects well with a crisp trigger. I like it! My next gun is going to be a tikka for sure, so if you guys have any recommendations on a decent caliber choice to fill the gap in my collection that would be awesome. Currently shooting an xpr in .270wsm and this weatherby in .308
308 win and 270wsm have you covered on the close to mid range for deer size game, and some would argue even elk. Instead of filling the gap, you could go bigger. Like 300 wsm in a tikka, but the factory barrels are a bit slow of a twist at 1-11. I found a donor tikka and bought a Proof Prefit 1-10 300wsm barrel for it to spin the 215 bergers. Was a more expensive and time consuming than something off the shelf, but I enjoyed putting it together. All tikas. Top to bottom 30-06 / 338 win mag / 300wsm / 6.5 prc.

Attachments

• 20221014_225054.jpg
    20221014_225054.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 16
223 would be another good option outside of the range of calibers you already have, for a tikka.... Relatively cheap to shoot, fun plinking, and varmints.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
At this exact moment, best bang for the buck is the sako s20 closeouts at eurooptic. Already in a chassis, cut and threaded, ceracoated, and have an integral picatinny rail. It costs more to do those upgrades to a t3x than theyre charging for the s20 right now.

The functionality and performance of my tikkas is significantly better than the rems and savages I used to own.
Have you cut a Sako S20 with the fluted barrel?

No, and not sure I would because the ceracoat seems likely to chip at the cut. Functionally it'll be just like all the cut tikka superlites though