Looking for a new rifle, CA Ridgeline, Ridgeline FFT, or Bergara Ridge Carbon

ATRaz15

FNG
Hi all, longtime lurker but this is my first time posting after making an account. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new rifle and have come down to three options. It'll get used for coyote, deer, and antelope hunting here in eastern MT with some occasional elk hunting too. Planning on doing a fair amount of target as well.

Here's my criteria that led me here:

$2,000 or under
Shorter barrel - around 20"
6.5 Creedmoor
Threaded Barrel to accommodate a brake or eventually a can
Light weight - 6.5 lbs or less

And here's the three options I came up with are:

Bergara Ridge Wilderness Carbon - $1,400

6.4 lbs
fluted bolt
included radial brake

Christensen Arms Ridgeline - $1,800

6.3 lbs
Fluted Bolt
included radial brake

Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT - $2,000

5.3 lbs
Fluted bolt
non-radial brake

I have looked into Seekins but their PH2 is almost 7 lbs and their Havak Element is out of my price range. I am leaning towards the Bargara because of the price point but I am not a huge fan of the added weight over the CA Ridgeline FFT. In an ideal world, I would take the savings and replace the brake and the stock on the Bergara to get the weight down, but at that point I would almost be at the cost of the CA. Another mark against the Bergara is that shooting hand loads voids the warranty... The Bergaras that I have felt feel nice and well balanced though, despite the added weight over the CA.

What do you guys think? I know CA had some QC issues in the past but it sounds like they are getting better (?). I'm open to spending the extra cash for a better product but am always looking for a good deal when I can find it and it sounds like the Bergara might be it.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely consider adding a stainless T3x to the list. Get it from Unknown Munitions since they are an authorized Tikka dealer and have them put it in a Rokstock and cut and thread the barrel to your liking. I think it would still be right around your budget too. If I had to choose one from above I would go with the Bergara.

OP
A

ATRaz15

FNG
I would definitely consider adding a stainless T3x to the list. Get it from Unknown Munitions since they are an authorized Tikka dealer and have them put it in a Rokstock and cut and thread the barrel to your liking. I think it would still be right around your budget too. If I had to choose one from above I would go with the Bergara.
Thanks for the suggestion! The Tikas that I have handled in the past shoot great, but I haven't been all that impressed with the build quality of the stock and magazine. Add that onto the relative lack of different barrel lengths and threaded options and I had pretty much dismissed them. I hadn't really considered doing a customized Tikka though, I'll definitely look into that.

Out of curiosity, what makes you say Bergara over the CA options? I can definitely understand people's mixed feelings on them but from what I understand they're tack drivers when you get a good one...

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestion! The Tikas that I have handled in the past shoot great, but I haven't been all that impressed with the build quality of the stock and magazine. Add that onto the relative lack of different barrel lengths and threaded options and I had pretty much dismissed them. I hadn't really considered doing a customized Tikka though, I'll definitely look into that.

Out of curiosity, what makes you say Bergara over the CA options? I can definitely understand people's mixed feelings on them but from what I understand they're tack drivers when you get a good one...
Personally I wouldn’t want to have to “get a good one” for my rifle to be up to my expectations. I have personally seen two Christians Arms that have had bedding and chamber problems. Don’t get me wrong, I have also heard horror stories from Begara but I have yet to experience them first hand so it’s a toss up. When I get a Tikka I know exactly what I’m getting and there is no guess work. A lot of us want Tikka to have more threaded barrel options and lengths so you’re not alone. But until that happens, Unknown Munitions will be cutting and threading my barrels. This is just my opinion so hopefully people more experienced than me will join in and give you some more/better info

OP
A

ATRaz15

FNG
Personally I wouldn’t want to have to “get a good one” for my rifle to be up to my expectations. I have personally seen two Christians Arms that have had bedding and chamber problems. Don’t get me wrong, I have also heard horror stories from Begara but I have yet to experience them first hand so it’s a toss up. When I get a Tikka I know exactly what I’m getting and there is no guess work. A lot of us want Tikka to have more threaded barrel options and lengths so you’re not alone. But until that happens, Unknown Munitions will be cutting and threading my barrels. This is just my opinion so hopefully people more experienced than me will join in and give you some more/better info
I've heard the same horror stories which is what makes me leery. I know a couple of people who have excellent experience with CA rifles, but I would hate to spend $2,000 on a rifle and have to send it back to them for bedding, rebarreling, anything...

I just reached out to Unknown Munitions to see about a quote on a Tikka build. We'll see what I hear back. Sounds like the Bergara might be my rifle if I go with something off the shelf but I'm intrigued about getting a Tikka customized to my liking.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Archer86

WKR
I have a bergra wilderness ridge carbon it's a great rifle no issues with it this far. Only thing I have done to it is bed the recoil lug it shoots great.

That said I also have a t3x lite it shoots great also and for the cost you save on the t3x through it in a stock and have the barrel threaded or you could just go to a roughtech tikka as well little over the weight you are after but not much

I have 4 Christensen Arms rifles. A 5five6, a MPR 6.5 cm, a Ridgeline 300 Win Mag, a Ridgeline FFT 300 PRC. They all shoot great. I dont believe they are a gamble. Im sure there are some that need some work, but im sure they are few considering how many they sell.

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
My ridgeline fft is going back to them for excessive pressure signs from factory ammo and reloads 6 grains under max.

I have 4 Christensen Arms rifles. A 5five6, a MPR 6.5 cm, a Ridgeline 300 Win Mag, a Ridgeline FFT 300 PRC. They all shoot great. I dont believe they are a gamble. Im sure there are some that need some work, but im sure they are few considering how many they sell.
My ridgeline fft is going back to them for excessive pressure signs from factory ammo and reloads 6 grains under max.
This is a hell of a shot/chaser combo.

OP, pursue your options through Unknown Munitions. And please don't take the CA gamble.

OP
A

ATRaz15

FNG
I have a bergra wilderness ridge carbon it's a great rifle no issues with it this far. Only thing I have done to it is bed the recoil lug it shoots great.

That said I also have a t3x lite it shoots great also and for the cost you save on the t3x through it in a stock and have the barrel threaded or you could just go to a roughtech tikka as well little over the weight you are after but not much
I've seen the Roughtech Tikkas and I like them if it weren't for the barrel length and the stocks/magazines. Bolts are smooth and triggers feel good. The stocks on them are better but I still don't love them and the plastic magazines just don't feel good to me. I know that they work great, but I don't want to spend $1300+ on a gun that still feels cheap in places like that.
This is a hell of a shot/chaser combo.

OP, pursue your options through Unknown Munitions. And please don't take the CA gamble.
Still waiting on hearing back from Unknown Munitions, if they come up with a semi-reasonable price I will be seriously considering going that route.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few of your options, or similar.

I have a T3x 6.5cm lite that I got for $700, sent to LRI and got it chopped, threaded, and fluted for around $500 (would be much cheaper without fluting), got a stockys VG for right at $400. That’s $1,600. It’s definitely my favorite gun, no doubt.

I also have a CA ridgeline FFT in 6.5prc. (I have a few friends with a bunch of CA’s and none have had issues). I think it’s a very cool gun but I’m not a huge fan of the stock, it’s being moved to a Rokstok for that reason. It’s just too light and not the design for my needs. I’m sure many who put miles in steep terrain would benefit.
You can get a CA barreled action from Brownells for around $1k (there was just a 6.5cm on here) then drop it in a stockys or Rokstok.

I think unknown munitions is going to be around $2700 for a custom tikka in a Rokstok. Maybe just ask for a standard tikka cut and threaded and buy the stock from them. That should only cost the price of the rifle, the stock, and the labor to cut and thread.

I think you would be happy with any if them. I have a Bergara. It is just the Ridge SP. Its an 18” 308. It is short and handy and shoots really good, but it is pretty heavy for what it is. Like I posted earlier my 4 Christensen Arms rifles all shoot great and are really light which is one of the main reasons i bought them. I have a couple of Tikkas and they shoot great. My one Tikka is a CTR so it has the threaded barrel. My CTR has the 20” barrel so that is handy, but its pretty heavy. I am having a Tikka built by Unknown Munitions. Im very excited to get that rifle. Im sure it will be one of my favorites but i think i am getting close to $3500 into that. I am having just about everything done that they offer. Im very happy with all of those rifles. If I had to just pick one I would really need to think about its main purpose.

Axlrod

WKR
Hi all, longtime lurker but this is my first time posting after making an account. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new rifle and have come down to three options. It'll get used for coyote, deer, and antelope hunting here in eastern MT with some occasional elk hunting too. Planning on doing a fair amount of target as well.

Here's my criteria that led me here:

$2,000 or under
Shorter barrel - around 20"
6.5 Creedmoor
Threaded Barrel to accommodate a brake or eventually a can
Light weight - 6.5 lbs or less

And here's the three options I came up with are:

Bergara Ridge Wilderness Carbon - $1,400

6.4 lbs
fluted bolt
included radial brake

Christensen Arms Ridgeline - $1,800

6.3 lbs
Fluted Bolt
included radial brake

Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT - $2,000

5.3 lbs
Fluted bolt
non-radial brake

I have looked into Seekins but their PH2 is almost 7 lbs and their Havak Element is out of my price range. I am leaning towards the Bargara because of the price point but I am not a huge fan of the added weight over the CA Ridgeline FFT. In an ideal world, I would take the savings and replace the brake and the stock on the Bergara to get the weight down, but at that point I would almost be at the cost of the CA. Another mark against the Bergara is that shooting hand loads voids the warranty... The Bergaras that I have felt feel nice and well balanced though, despite the added weight over the CA.

What do you guys think? I know CA had some QC issues in the past but it sounds like they are getting better (?). I'm open to spending the extra cash for a better product but am always looking for a good deal when I can find it and it sounds like the Bergara might be it.
Tikka CTR. 6.5 Creed/20" threaded barrel/7.5 lb/ good stock/ $1250 from Eurooptic- maybe less if you call.
If you get a CA, and have problems, it will not get fixed the first time you send it in.
If you get a Tikka you won't even know IF the have a warranty.

I don’t have any experience with the Bergera but do own both the Tikka in 7RM and a Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. The Tikka is a SL. I am pleased with both but if I were to buy a new rifle it would be the Tikka due to the price point.

OP
A

ATRaz15

FNG
Tikka CTR. 6.5 Creed/20" threaded barrel/7.5 lb/ good stock/ $1250 from Eurooptic- maybe less if you call.
If you get a CA, and have problems, it will not get fixed the first time you send it in.
If you get a Tikka you won't even know IF the have a warranty.

My father in law just offered to sell me one of those for $1500. Optic (Vortex Viper), pelican case, swagger bipod, all included. I am seriously considering that.

Nothing back from Unknown Munitions yet, I reached out to a couple of gunsmiths in the Billings area as well. One is putting together a quote for me on cutting/threading the barrel, a new stock, and fluting the bolt. We will see what they come back with.

OP
A

ATRaz15

FNG
So an update:

Kept doing research and consistently came up disappointed in what I was finding. CA is too much of a gamble, Bergara’s warranty is voided by hand loads, and I just couldn’t justify spending over 2k on a customized Tikka. I get that they’re great rifles, but that’s a lot of money to put into a gun that still is $750 off the shelf.

I was talking to my father in law about his Tikka tactical that he was interested in selling and got to talking about the rifle that he replaced it with - A Seekins Precision Havak Element. He showed it to me and it felt amazing. Buttery smooth action (not quite Tikka smooth but pretty darn close), triggertech trigger, nice and ergonomic stock, etc. Started looking into the company and was very impressed, especially by their advertised warranty. Plus they will re-barrel any of their actions for $550 flat.

Anyways, long story short, right after I began looking into them I found a Havak ph2 in 6.5 PRC at my local sporting good store for $1700ish and pulled the trigger on it. Excited to get it out on the range and see what it will do. Visiting some family in Portland this week so I’m going to drive over to Beaverton and check out the Leupold factory store. Might pick up some glass there, we will see.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
So an update:

Kept doing research and consistently came up disappointed in what I was finding. CA is too much of a gamble, Bergara’s warranty is voided by hand loads, and I just couldn’t justify spending over 2k on a customized Tikka. I get that they’re great rifles, but that’s a lot of money to put into a gun that still is $750 off the shelf.

I was talking to my father in law about his Tikka tactical that he was interested in selling and got to talking about the rifle that he replaced it with - A Seekins Precision Havak Element. He showed it to me and it felt amazing. Buttery smooth action (not quite Tikka smooth but pretty darn close), triggertech trigger, nice and ergonomic stock, etc. Started looking into the company and was very impressed, especially by their advertised warranty. Plus they will re-barrel any of their actions for $550 flat.

Anyways, long story short, right after I began looking into them I found a Havak ph2 in 6.5 PRC at my local sporting good store for $1700ish and pulled the trigger on it. Excited to get it out on the range and see what it will do. Visiting some family in Portland this week so I’m going to drive over to Beaverton and check out the Leupold factory store. Might pick up some glass there, we will see.
Glad you got it figured out. Though I am partial to Tikka, I definitely wouldn’t be disappointed about picking up a ph2. I been thinking about picking one up as well. Its an awesome looking rifle