Looking for a different tripod head

sr80

WKR
Whats everyone using for tripod heads? Currently i have an outdoorsman pan head on my outdoorsmans tripod. I find it ok, it seems like its either locked or too loose. There isnt much in between area where i can pan or move it. Its not bad with my binos, but with a 65 spotter its realllly hard to feather it to be able to move it at all. I tried a va-5 head before this, and didnt like how it has the spring mechanism that always wants to bring the head back to level. Also had the pistol grip from outdoorsmans which i loved, but found it a bit floppy with a spotter on top. Am i picking fly shit outta chilli??

I run the outdoorsmans regular pan head and pistol grip with panner.
Love the pistol grip with binos.
Also have a gitzo 1720 fluid head I really like. I find myself using the gitzo when I runmy kowa 884. It's smooth and rock solid.
The outdoorsman regular pan head is nice if I'm running a combo of binos and spotter but is my least favorite of the 3. As stated above it lacks a smooth resistance while panning.

Matt G.

WKR

I am curious about this one...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Whats everyone using for tripod heads? Currently i have an outdoorsman pan head on my outdoorsmans tripod. I find it ok, it seems like its either locked or too loose. There isnt much in between area where i can pan or move it. Its not bad with my binos, but with a 65 spotter its realllly hard to feather it to be able to move it at all. I tried a va-5 head before this, and didnt like how it has the spring mechanism that always wants to bring the head back to level. Also had the pistol grip from outdoorsmans which i loved, but found it a bit floppy with a spotter on top. Am i picking fly shit outta chilli??
I don't seem to have that issue with my OD pan head. While not optimal I have used it with BTX and Twin Swaro's but I'm locking it down and not trying to pan with big optics on it. A friend uses one regularly on his BTX. I'd give a shout to Outdoorsmans and see what they say. I use the OD Fluid Head a lot because I carry big glass a lot. I don't think there's a better head than the OD Fluid for a hunter with big glass.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
I use the OD Pistol grip head and use a qr w/panner on the tripod that i use to attach the head, then i use the panner in the qr plate adapter for panning. I think your picking fly shit out of chilli but you can always send it in to be cleaned looked at.

Dumb rookie question, but are most heads interchangeable? I'm in the same boat right now with a head I don't like

Drenalin

WK.R

i just got mine a couple days ago. I don’t want to go overboard too soon, but with binos it seems fantastic.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR

looks interesting!

Drenalin

WK.R
i just got mine a couple days ago. I don’t want to go overboard too soon, but with binos it seems fantastic.
Used this in the woods today, I’m ready to go overboard now. I freakin love this little head. I’m only using it with binos, but on my Promaster tripod and then on the monopod, it was absolutely awesome.

Matt G.

WKR
Used this in the woods today, I’m ready to go overboard now. I freakin love this little head. I’m only using it with binos, but on my Promaster tripod and then on the monopod, it was absolutely awesome.
Have you used a spotter on this yet? I am wondering how it would hold an 80 mm.

Drenalin

WK.R
Have you used a spotter on this yet? I am wondering how it would hold an 80 mm.

No, I don’t even have a spotter to put on it, just binos. I think Steve mentioned having a 65 on it on the Exo podcast, but I’d probably just call the guys at Wiser and talk to them about it. Not much information out on these that I can find, at least not yet.

Nwelkhunter81

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks for mentioning this head. I wouldn’t have even realized this was out there. I’m really interested in picking this up to go on a Slik 733. Looks like one of the lightest heads I have seen!