Looking for a black bear hunt

Wireman07

WKR
I've never been black bear hunting. Looking for a pretty inexpensive black bear hunt somewhere. Not really wanting to hunt over bait. Looking for more of the spot ansld stalk kind of hunt. I sit enough in a tree hunting whitetails. Looking at maybe a self guided hunt as well, as it's alittle cheaper. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a tag in Wyoming, Montana or Idaho and knock yourself out…. That’s about as Economy as it gets

Buy a tag in Wyoming, Montana or Idaho and knock yourself out…. That’s about as Economy as it gets
This.

I live in MT and we're covered up in black bears. I usually see 5-7 between April and June just walking my dog. If you want more info on where, let me know, the population could use a little thinning. Baiting is legal in ID, but not in MT. Curious why you don't want to hunt over bait? It's easier to take an ethical shot, and bears are darn near impossible to spot and stalk, unless you are shooting long range with a rifle. I prefer my bears skewered with an arrow... ;)

EdP

WKR
Northern Idaho is a great place to hunt black bear in spring. Many units offer 2 tags OTC at 41.50 each. Spot and stalk opportunties are a crap shoot when you have to commit to a date with an outfitter. I hoped for a spot and stalk opportuntiy but the weather did not cooperate so I ended up hunting over bait. It was still a great adventure. Very much like a backcountry elk hunt with pack stock at about 1/2 the price.

Hunting over bait in northern Idaho is much different from hunting over bait in Maine, which I have also done. Idaho is much more open rather than being in the dark timber 30 yds from the bait.