Looking for 2 pack recommendations.

Planning a Wyoming pronghorn hunt this fall. Guide says we only need a day pack for layering clothing, water/snacks/food and other normal misc items.

Also looking at an elk hunt in 2024. Likely with an outfitter and won’t need multi day capability but probably need to be able to haul meat.

I’d like both packs to be able carry a rifle with side access rather than over the back.

Kuiu has several options for the frame pack with a slide rifle carrier but according to their customer support only the Divide 1200 day pack which seems odd. I’m concerned that the 1200 may be a bit small.

Looking for suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JD Jones

WKR
I like the stone glacier packs therefore I’d pick two from them. Or I’d consider the xcurve frame and the avail for what you described. Then bonus is later if you want to go on a 7-10 day trip you can buy a new bag that’s compatible with one of the best frames (imo)

JNDEER

WKR
Mike-

If you want comfort and have an athletic build, normal body figure and nothing bigger then a loose size 36” pants —- any top pack will fit the bill (kifaru, exo, stone, kuiu). If you want a pack that will last and be not as comfortable wearing for hours on end but be great for a few hours on and off badlands will work well.

If you are a bigger build, belly, and large waist or even in decent shape but body is more if a pear shape I would stick with kifaru or exo for top brands and badlands if you want a middle of the road functionable pack

OP
Mike D Texas
Mike-

If you want comfort and have an athletic build, normal body figure and nothing bigger then a loose size 36” pants —- any top pack will fit the bill (kifaru, exo, stone, kuiu). If you want a pack that will last and be not as comfortable wearing for hours on end but be great for a few hours on and off badlands will work well.

If you are a bigger build, belly, and large waist or even in decent shape but body is more if a pear shape I would stick with kifaru or exo for top brands and badlands if you want a middle of the road functionable pack

Thanks for the detailed info. I would say I fall somewhere between those that you described. I will be 55 years old this year. I have a 34” waist, and a large chest but I wouldn’t say athletic build.

I like the concept of the Kifaru gun bearers but not sure how comfortable the barrel in front of the shoulder would be.

My biggest concern with these top end packs is you can’t put your hands on them, try them out, etc because they aren’t sold in retailers. And they are not cheap. They all get good reviews it seems but as you mention above not everyone is shaped the same.

I’m leaning toward the Shape Charge for the day pack. I have more time to decide on a frame pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm throwing a random suggestion out here. Alps Outdoorz will give a very good discount code for signing up with your email.
Recently they brought out a 2 pack system that is fairly light and hits the main features needed. 1800 and 3800 Elite.
If your 2 hunts were reversed, I doubt if trying a oddball would work. But day hunting with a possible frame pack need seems where I am at also.

Sorry, this suggestion does not have side carry.

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
Thanks for the detailed info. I would say I fall somewhere between those that you described. I will be 55 years old this year. I have a 34” waist, and a large chest but I wouldn’t say athletic build.

I like the concept of the Kifaru gun bearers but not sure how comfortable the barrel in front of the shoulder would be.

My biggest concern with these top end packs is you can’t put your hands on them, try them out, etc because they aren’t sold in retailers. And they are not cheap. They all get good reviews it seems but as you mention above not everyone is shaped the same.

I’m leaning toward the Shape Charge for the day pack. I have more time to decide on a frame pack.

34” will probably allow you to pick any pack and have a good chance it wil fit decent.

Think exo, kifaru and stone (can purchase at scheels ) all have a 30 day money back return.

If you are looking for a basic backpack style pack (shape charge) that will keep 99% of the weight in your pack on your shoulders (being older I wouldn’t recommend that unless you don’t plan on having that pack on for long stints) I would say go to a box store and look at badlands or Sitka packs. There 3000 ci packs will allow you some load lift to keep some of the weight on your hips instead of all on your shoulders.

Last edited:
Just for info purposes, i askdd kuiu of their gun bearer works for a side carry with the divide 3000 and they said it does. The answer was there are hopks on the belt to strap their gun holder to on the bottom, and the top can attach a number of ways.

Not sure if that helps, but i found it helpful.
Not sure why that wasn’t mentioned when you talked to them

AKEK

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
While you are doing your research definitely take a look at these 2 AKEK packs. Multiple packs in one system and the quick release gun holder is very convenient :

Climax 5400:

Alpha 3200:

You can order one and try it out for 30 days. If you don't like it just return it.

Many good options out there for packs. Most important thing is finding one that fits your body well.

There are several rifle slings out there that allow side and/or front carry and work with pretty much any pack. I use a Stone Glacier Quick Release Sling with my Kifaru pack. It's designed for behind-the-shoulder carry but can be easily reconfigured for forward carry (which I prefer).

OP
Mike D Texas
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

For some reason I don’t get email notifications from this forum so it takes me a few days to catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tracker12

WKR
Not to be a SA but you can do an Antelope hunt with a pack you get at the goodwill store. As the guide said any pack that will hold extra clothes and food will do. Think whatever brad you like that is around 1800-2300 and you will be fine.

Now if you want one pack that will work for both antelope and elk look for a pack between 2300-3500 that gives a load shell so you can pay meat. KUIU, EXO and Mystery Ranch have affordable options.

20 liter (1200 CI) day pack can fill up fast with layers.

throwing out another option with the mystery ranch Terraframe line. They have a 50 and 65 liter size that will handle a couple days of gear and aren’t too bulky as day packs. You can use a Kifaru gun bearer or a variety of weapons carry options. They have a meat shelf and can easily haul some weight.

I've had an Eberlestock F1 frame, Kuiu, Stone Glacier and currently an Exo K3. The eberlestock was the only one I couldn't get rid of fast enough (that said some guys love them). The Kuiu, for me was very good but not quite as good as the SG and Exo. The one upside to the kuiu packs is they go on sale and you can usually get into one for less money than the tope tier brands. The SG and Exo were extremely competitive on how they worked for me. I had the SG first and the only reason I tried the Exo was because I lost a bunch of weight and the belt on the SG got too big and instead of just replacing the belt I thought I'd give another pack a try. I'm planning on keeping the Exo for years to come. That said there are guys on here who swear by Seek Outside, Kifaru, Initial Ascent, Exo, SG and even others. All of them will let you try them on and send them back (although it'll cost you shipping) if you don't like them. That said getting the right fit is crucial, so if it doesn't feel right when you put it on CALL them and talk to them about it. In terms of bag size I'd suggest something in the 2500-4500 CU range (or close to it) for day stuff/an overnight. Take into consideration the gear/equipment you have. For example a budget synthetic puffy is going to take up way more space than a top tier 800 fill down puffy. That stuff impacts what size pack you need. If it were me shopping for a new pack I would spend a little time researching the brands, their content and just looking at photos and pick the one that "gives me the cool guy feelings." Examples of ""cool guy" factors, If buying US made is important you can take some brands off the list. If a "camo pattern" is important to you (it won't be important to the animals) then you can take some off your list. If you like a lot of flexibility and pockets etc. then maybe you lean Kifaru, if you want a really simple bag set up then maybe Stone Glacier is your Huckleberry. Good luck!

fatlander

WKR
The Kuiu divide day pack is nice for the price. I bought my wife one last year. The build quality and robustness isn’t in the same league as my kifaru shape charge but it’s also half the price. I know the shape charge could handle way more weight than would ever be comfortable without breaking. I’m pretty sure I could break the Kuiu. With that said, I’m not planning on hauling meat substantial meat with either of them.

I’ve had kifaru duplex frames with day size to 5k cubic inch bags, SG xcurve with a 6k cubic inch bag and tried friends exo k3s. They’re all top notch and splitting hairs at that point. SG fits me the best so that’s what I’ve kept. Kifaru is overbuilt, not to say the others are under built. Exo has the best bag layout. SG is the most comfortable for me. I broke more SG buckles in three months that I did in 3 years with kifaru so I’ve got kifaru buckles on my SG pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwhicker

FNG
Not sure if you bought a pack yet but you should look into the mystery ranch Pop up 38. Makes an awesome day pack but when you need to haul meat you have a built in shelf and can adjust the frame height based on your comfort. I’m really liking mine. They are on sale often at CamoFire. I purchased mine from Mountain Archery’s website and it was 55% off. Great company and super fast free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrack

FNG
I like my osprey zenith 105. New ish on here and I know a lot of folks really like the big name stuff but I’m surprised I don’t see more osprey stuff. Great Warrenty as well.

hunterjmj

WKR
I run a Kifaru Minikeg, Kutthroat and longhunter. I typically use the minikeg for everything. It's light, holds plenty for day hunts in cold weather and I can bring out a quarter with it. I'll typically go back with the longhunter to pack the remaining quarters out. Definitely something to check out.

Drenalin

WKR
My biggest concern with these top end packs is you can’t put your hands on them, try them out, etc because they aren’t sold in retailers. And they are not cheap.

Some of the hunting pack manufacturers have a return window if you get the pack and aren't satisfied. You can order, put some weight in/on it and try it around the house. If you don't like it, send it back. At most, you're risking some shipping costs. I'd probably start with Exo; they've been my favorite overall, and you don't see a lot of complaints about them generally.