Looking buy a used pack!

Hey I'm 17 and from Wisconsin I've been looking into an OTC elk hunt in Colorado but I don't have a pack or any clue what pack to get. Or where I can find one that won't break the bank.

Thanks for any replies!
As an eastern guy this whole elk hunting thing is really confusing! And VERY expensive for a teen!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:

Austin915

FNG
Depending on how soon you’re needing it keep an eye on kuiu. They run big sales throughout the year on their packs and they’re high quality. Not sure what your budget is but the venture 1800 can be had for $100 or so and the the venture 2800 for about $150

hiker270

WKR
What kind of elk hunting you are doing will determine what pack you need. Day pack, over night pack or a pack big enough for several days. I have 2 packs that usually serve my needs. There are a lot of choices that range from several hundred dollars to less than $100. You have to decide what your needs are.

OP
EndOfTheRoad
What kind of elk hunting you are doing will determine what pack you need. Day pack, over night pack or a pack big enough for several days. I have 2 packs that usually serve my needs. There are a lot of choices that range from several hundred dollars to less than $100. You have to decide what your needs are.
I'm looking for an all-around pack, something I can use from an early season daypack to some thing I can use in November to hike back a couple miles and set up a base camp.

I've been considering the Mystery Ranch Metcalf

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
Get those 10 posts so you can buy off the classifieds. Also, lots of buying and selling in facebook groups. Just about every major hunting backpack brand has a group dedicated for buying/selling that brand of gear. You should probably talk with your adults about paypal (most common) and other payment forms before committing to buy. When buying, only buy from people that post actual pictures of their gear, if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. If it seems fishy, ask for a picture of the gear with a specific thing in the picture...orange beanie, peace sign, thumbs up...that way you can tell they actually have what they're selling. Backpacks are people specific sometimes when it comes to fit...just because 10 people on a forum swear xyz pack is the greates ever, it may not work for you. Buy based on the features you want, you'll never know how it actually works until you use it. The most important thing....GET MEASURED. If you have a local backpacking store or REI, have them measure your torso length, WRITE IT DOWN. That will give you a good reference when pack shopping.

I think a metcalf would suit you well for the uses you mentioned. You can buy a used one for a big discount from new on this forums classifieds pretty easily may take a month or two for it to pop up but they regularly sell on here. Go to their site and see what size belt you’ll need on the frame then start regularly checking the classifieds here.

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider

Make me an offer.

gtriple

WKR
Hey I'm 17 and from Wisconsin I've been looking into an OTC elk hunt in Colorado but I don't have a pack or any clue what pack to get. Or where I can find one that won't break the bank.

Thanks for any replies!
As an eastern guy this whole elk hunting thing is really confusing! And VERY expensive for a teen!:ROFLMAO:
What's your budget?

Lots of used packs on there. Can spend 150-800. Im a big fan of EXO, have used the k2 and k3 with very little to any complaints. Thats what id recommend if you budget suffices

TheHammer

WKR
Eau Claire
Good news for you, there is a scheels there I believe? You can go try on mystery ranch packs. Grab a 30lb kettle bell or dumb bell and drop it in the packs you are trying on and sizing up. Walk around the store some especially if there are stairs.packs are like boots they need to fit.

OP
EndOfTheRoad
Good news for you, there is a scheels there I believe? You can go try on mystery ranch packs. Grab a 30lb kettle bell or dumb bell and drop it in the packs you are trying on and sizing up. Walk around the store some especially if there are stairs.
Yes I know a few people that work there but there cheapest "good" pack starts at $400. I have tried on the metcalf about 10 times now and really like it but I can't find one cheap enough. unfortunately my budget is really tight so I think I have to stick with used.

Mystery ranch terraplane is a good deal if you want to buy new.Exo is coming out with a new pack so guys will be selling there older gen packs to try the new stuff.I wouldn't be afraid to buy even the earliest gen of an Exo pack.The company supports older products very well.Good luck to you
You could also look at old Dana Design packs(they are now called Mystery Ranch)

gtriple

WKR
I can't afford much over $225
I know I don't have much to work with.

Thanks for any replies!
What kind of hunt are you planning on doing? Backpacking in or day hunt from your truck/Basecamp?

OP
EndOfTheRoad
What kind of hunt are you planning on doing? Backpacking in or day hunt from your truck/Basecamp?
I am planning on doing a basecamp this year but next year I will be backpacking in a few miles so I want something I can use for both.